• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

* I Think I Need Help *

delicateorchid

Hi ... I am unsure if this message will be read or acknowledged but I thought I would give it a go.

I'm Angela, 27 years old . I'm engaged to my college sweetheart, Paul. We've known each other for 8 years now and he has been my rock throughout the years. We studied sport and exercise and I had hoped to progress to become a fitness instructor.

I loved working out, always made me feel good afterwards. I loved the gym, swimming, hurling and dancing (I know some people debate about wither dance is a sport or not but it burns calories).

I grew up without a dad. He left when I was a baby. My mother had a hard time and I didnt make things easy for her as a child. She was my best friend. At the weekends she used to do fun an interesting things with me like make a tent out of a bed sheet and chairs and we would cuddle with hot chocolate and marshmallows and read stories. She was a great mother. She died during my third year of studies and I hit rock bottom.

I gave up on the idea of being a fully qualified fitness instructor and running my own gym(s) and I took over my mother's business, a little florist shop.

I began binge eating and I started off thinking that because of my body's metabolism, I wouldn't gain weight. I was very wrong to assume I would never gain a pound. I did not notice the weight gain until my clothes shrunk. At first I blamed the tumble dryer. This upset me and what did I do? Only retreat back to the cookie jar again. I no longer felt full after a mcdonalds children happy meal. Now I am able to eat an extra large big mac meal and a regular cheese burger meal together. My BMI has shot up to 45.8 and I am far from the thin girl I used to be.

It amazes me sometimes how Paul is still standing by me. He has tried to get me up and exercising again but I've asthma now and I find it hard to do any form of exercising. Ive tried a few diets but they don't work long term.

My last option is weight loss surgery. I have only joined this forum and will have a look into the different topics available.

Thanks for reading.

Angela x

Hi Angela

And welcome to the forum. I have moved your thread into the introduction section so that people will see it xx

Hi and welcome :)

Angela,

Welcome to you :) one thing about this forum is that the threads will be read and people will respond :) it can be hard to reach out and open up, but its a great supportive place to be and full of lots of info.

As you begin to look into the surgeries, I would just say be open, open to all of the methods, look at the positives and the negatives for each. you will always see people who have had good results, those who haven't, those who've had revision surgery who then may prefer a method to another. But what is important is that you research well and choose the method that is right for you and for your eating habits.

My band, is just over 18 months. It has however changed my life, even with the issues I'm currently having with it and the fact it hasn't worked as it should. I'm still 11 stone down :)

Good luck to you!

hey,

I am new to all this and i've been advised that it is good to "talk" about issues especially with those who are going through the same thing. So here i am. Ive tried many diets now and i just cant loose any weight. i give up. I am 53 years old but i am sure my metabolic age is somewhat higher. I am tired all the time. Im breathless going upstairs and I've type 2 diabetes. surgery appears to be the only answer left. Hate the thought of surgery; cant stand hospitals but i dont think ive any other choice now.

Ive browsed a few places and Im still gathering information on the various surgery types available. There is a lot to take in.

Hi Angela - the thing is, you are not alone. We all somehow ended up with maladaptive eating habits. That's why we ended up here!

Any weight loss surgery will not cure why you ate the way you did. What it does do is shake the habit that forms and, to some extent, force you to eat healthily and less.

Have a look at everything here and elsewhere. Surgery is no quick fix and seeing some posts here will enforce that - we still struggle and falter at times - that's human.

Whatever you decide this is an excellent site and one which, when you find your place, will support you. Hang in there and research, research, research.

x

Hello Angela
welcome to a great site

hi and welcome we are all in the same boat on here lots of wonderful people and supportive you will never be alone there will always be someone willing to listen or advise

Welcome to both Angela, and Plynch.
Must have been hard sharing that, but am glad you did.

Firstly, surgery isnt an easy option. You still need willpower.
You will go through Psychological examinations, to find out if surgery will help you. Not many are turned down, once they've reached that stage, but, Id urge you to address any Grief you are holding onto.
It seems to me that you're being harsh on yourself (..arent we all?).
Be kind, talk gently to yourself, and start with some positivity.
I hope you find the answers you're searching for on here, and we are a friendly bunch.
Good luck!

Hi Angela,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a vision of you. I have a vision of you a couple of years post surgery realising your dream, grabbing this 'second chance' with both hands and you and Paul having that fitness studio.

xxx

Hi welcome.

Your in the right place. I'm just at the start too but I kinda rushing things through because time is limited for me with work etc and once I get an idea in my head I tend to go for it,

I'm impatient, hence why I've yoyo over the years and finally decided to invest in my over stretched binge eating stomach. Like you I'd given up on myself. Sick of looking ok then living in sweatshirts and leggings, nightmare, so I've looked at all WLS and decided a band is the best option (for me) e

Ever tone on here has great stories and experiences which will help you decided if/whether this is what you want.

I believe will power still has to be a massive part of this journey but investing in yourself at somestage has to be worth it

Good luck xxxx

Hi and welcome Angela :)

You have come to the right place as this is a great site hun. Gaining weight can be so insidious can't it. I remember being an 18 then suddenly I was a 24 then a 28 and finally a 34/36. I'm now 7 months post bypass op (6months prior to that I had the balloon) and I'm now a size 14/16 :) As many have already told you here WLS is not the complete answer but it's one hell of a tool when used to its full potential and you play by the rules. Each and every surgery option comes with drawbacks and as a bypasser I have experienced a few but I have never regretted my choice & it's been the best, pro active decision I have ever taken in my life. 13st down I wouldn't change a thing :). Good luck Angela in whatever you decide
X

Hi and welcome. This site is invaluable to me! People on here are going through the same issues. It's great to know people understand. My surgerys on Wednesday, but I feel ok after reading other peoples journeys. U both will b fine xx

Wow the support here is amazing and I currently dont have time to reply individually to every one but i just want to say a massive THANK YOU X

Hi Angela,

I'm new to the site too, I'm pre-op having just made the decision after three long years of contemplating to have the band fitted. There are pros & cons for all procedures but for me it came down to the least invasive surgery, and that was the band. Do a list and lots of research and you will come to a decision about whats right for you, you'll just get a gut feeling and then go for it. I can't wait now, I feel like a weight has been lifted and I can finally look forward to my future since I decided to go for it.

Good luck xx

Hi Angela, I wanted to reply on here coz your journey really rang home. For one you have great supper around you and then funding this site too will help you make an informed decision.

I too was an am original binge eater, amongst other unhealthy things I discovered in my quest for thin and happiness, but one thing I realised was the older I got the harder it became and the more drastic my diet Yoyo cycle got.

Your 27, do your research, don't rush and when you figure out exactly what will help you and make you happy go for it and don't look back. WLS can't change your past or what you have been through but it can certainly be a brilliant tool for your future. Emotionally there's a lot of work to do but I believe your worth it :)

Good luck in your journey and we are all here to help and support xxx

Back