• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ideas please - for taking tablets

Jillybean8

Hi, How do people take tablets? I've been told I have to have them crushed until I get to the stage of solid food.
At the hospital I only had to take tiny ones and they gave me them with apple juice. But now that I am home i have to take extra pills and they are huge. I tried them in an actimel this morning but it's all so disgusting.

How do people manage to get these crushed pills down without it being so horrible? Anyone got any tactics?

Pleeeeeease!

Hi, How do people take tablets? I've been told I have to have them crushed until I get to the stage of solid food.
At the hospital I only had to take tiny ones and they gave me them with apple juice. But now that I am home i have to take extra pills and they are huge. I tried them in an actimel this morning but it's all so disgusting.

How do people manage to get these crushed pills down without it being so horrible? Anyone got any tactics?

Pleeeeeease!
I bought a pill crusher from the chemist so could make them into a very fine powder. Cost less than a fiver. Mixed them with juice. Water is the worst thing to take tablets with and milk is better.

You could also try what I do with my cats and mix the bits with marmite or peanut butter or anything soft and sticky with a strong taste.

I've ordered a pill crusher. At the moment i am crushing between two spoons. I shall try milk - thanks. I'm not allowed anything solid for the next month. Does marmite count? Can I have marmite just a few days after the op?

I've ordered a pill crusher. At the moment i am crushing between two spoons. I shall try milk - thanks. I'm not allowed anything solid for the next month. Does marmite count? Can I have marmite just a few days after the op?
I wouldn't after a few days. Best to wait for the pill crusher and mix with milk. I know they aren't pleasant but important you get them in and you may just have to grin and bear it. I did try the age old hold your nose whilst doing it that they tell children and it helped a bit. Also try experimenting getting it to different parts of your tongue and bypassing where they taste the worst as you have different taste buds for different tastes - salty, sweet and sour.

Are you bypass or sleeve? I was sleeve and was given children's liquid ibuprofen as pain relief which is sweet and that also was good for disguising other pills. Not sure if it would be too sweet for a bypass thought...

I wouldn't after a few days. Best to wait for the pill crusher and mix with milk. I know they aren't pleasant but important you get them in and you may just have to grin and bear it. I did try the age old hold your nose whilst doing it that they tell children and it helped a bit. Also try experimenting getting it to different parts of your tongue and bypassing where they taste the worst as you have different taste buds for different tastes - salty, sweet and sour.

Are you bypass or sleeve? I was sleeve and was given children's liquid ibuprofen as pain relief which is sweet and that also was good for disguising other pills. Not sure if it would be too sweet for a bypass thought...

I had a sleeve operation. I didn't know ibuprofen came in liquid. I shall investigate that. Thanks so much!

Ok, been to the chemists. Burst into tears while I was there. Poor woman was worried about the pain I was in and I had to say no, the pain is very slight. I'm just stressed and hassled and can't cope.
Anyway, I got the kids ibuprofen and am going to have one of the protein drinks and then take some.

Ok, been to the chemists. Burst into tears while I was there. Poor woman was worried about the pain I was in and I had to say no, the pain is very slight. I'm just stressed and hassled and can't cope.
Anyway, I got the kids ibuprofen and am going to have one of the protein drinks and then take some.
Hope you feel better soon. The first few weeks are tough as not only have you had a major op that doesn’t look very major from the outside, your body is also having to cope with lack of nutrition. Just keep getting the protein shakes in and water in a sip at a time and rest. Once you reach the four weeks and you can get some food in you will start to feel a lot better. X

Thanks - I am having problems getting everything in, I only had 7 of the 8 little drinks yesterday and I think today is heading the same although I am more awake today so I may stay up later and get the last one in.

Thanks - I am having problems getting everything in, I only had 7 of the 8 little drinks yesterday and I think today is heading the same although I am more awake today so I may stay up later and get the last one in.
I don't think hardly anyone gets the required amounts in to start with so don't worry.

Back