• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'll never be slim??!

I had my initial consultation with my surgeon yesterday and when he was talking about the surgery and my future he said that I will never be 'normal' but I can be much healthier than I am now.

I understand that he has to be realistic and not make guarentees that may not be met but I was hoping that it was realistic to aim for a healthy BMI.

Did anyone else have this said to them pre op? Do you think it is just him being cautious so that I don't have realistic expectations?

Discuss.....:p

That's not very nice of his after all whats normal.. I am roughly the same size as you and when I was asked by the bariatric nurse what I hoped to achieve I said about 11.7 and probably a size 14/16. She was more than happy with that and was happy to put me forward for the op. I asked what she wouldn't have been happy about and she said if I had said a size 10. Good luck you will prove him wrong now.

That's not very nice of his after all whats normal.. I am roughly the same size as you and when I was asked by the bariatric nurse what I hoped to achieve I said about 11.7 and probably a size 14/16. She was more than happy with that and was happy to put me forward for the op. I asked what she wouldn't have been happy about and she said if I had said a size 10. Good luck you will prove him wrong now.

Thanks I feel much better for hearing that. Your goals are realistic and as much as I would ever hop for!

I'll prove him wrong and then maybe future patients will get more hopeful consultations!
x

Hi Sinead,

I was told the same thing really. They asked me what my ideal weight would be and I said 10 stone. Then they told me that was not going to happen and I had to be more realistic. Said I'd be happy at 12 stone but 10 would still be ideal. They said I had much more chance of getting to 12. That would still put me in the 'overweight' category.

Not too worried about it really. I've been overweight since I was 10 and I'm not looking for perfection. I think at 12 stone (or size 14-16) I'll appear a bit more normal and that will be just fine.

Can't really say much else as I'm only 2 weeks post op but interested to hear what others say.

Good people don't want to hear such negativity when they are going through such a major op. I would class the size we are aiming for a more normal than anything smaller. Mind you I certainly wouldn't object to being smaller but just can't see me being it.

If you have loads to lose, you have to take into consideration excess skin. I had at least 2 stone of excess skin when I lost all my weight previously and unless I underwent major surgery to remove it, would never reach my BMI goal !

Can I just ask what is normal these days???

Also as I have always been overweight and suffered with this and now that I am nearly 6 months post op and 5 and a half stone lighter I feel amazing and never thought i would be 13stone 9lbs and still losing.

I think the surgeons have to set the bar high to make sure you arent dissappointed in the weight loss you will have achieved.

I was told i would probably get to around 13 stone by both my weight management team and by the pre-op consultant.
I hope to prove the both wrong

I wonder this occasionally. I have a new friend i met through a fb wls group who is my constant assurance that we can achieve 'normality'! February last year she wore a size 30/32 now she is a 10/12 and still losing, although she is trying not too....

I think if we use the tool our wls gives us and follow all the rules there is no reason why we can't do well...

We just need to remember to follow the rules and keep the faith xxx

I have heard of a few surgeons saying this and also of them being proved wrong by people loosing more. My aim was to be a size 16 but I am now a 10-12!

I now weigh 11 and a half stone, and wear size 14 clothes, which yes after wearing size 24 is great, but I am so NOT where I want to be. I can understand them not wanting you to set yourself unrealistic goals, so as to avoid disappointment etc

But we are grown ups here, and I think it would be quite reasonable to say to a grown up that with hard work and deturmination you can be a healthy BMI!!

Good luck, I am sure you will prove them wrong.

Rx

Very interesting post, as someone said, if we are left with lots of excess skin, that would maybe need to be removed to achieve our ultimate goal? x

I now weigh 11 and a half stone, and wear size 14 clothes, which yes after wearing size 24 is great, but I am so NOT where I want to be. I can understand them not wanting you to set yourself unrealistic goals, so as to avoid disappointment etc

But we are grown ups here, and I think it would be quite reasonable to say to a grown up that with hard work and deturmination you can be a healthy BMI!!

Good luck, I am sure you will prove them wrong.

Rx

Sorry to hijack the post but had to say wow! you look fantastic in your new pic. Well done x

Now back to the topic sometimes I think some doctors forget that they are dealing with individuals and have lost their bed side manner completly!

Try not to let it worry you, you will lose what you will lose. This is your journey and no one can predict the overall outcome.

Good luck x

Well we have a very similar starting bmi and I am just now a couple of points away from being 'normal' and I WILL get there!
My consultant at the hospital said when I went for my check up in September, that at 13 stones 9 pounds I wouldn't lose any more weight and I've lost 2 stones since then!! *Blows big raspberry haha!*

Well we have a very similar starting bmi and I am just now a couple of points away from being 'normal' and I WILL get there!
My consultant at the hospital said when I went for my check up in September, that at 13 stones 9 pounds I wouldn't lose any more weight and I've lost 2 stones since then!! *Blows big raspberry haha!*

Great news Cat, you have done fantastically! Well done
x

Sorry to hijack the post but had to say wow! you look fantastic in your new pic. Well done x

Now back to the topic sometimes I think some doctors forget that they are dealing with individuals and have lost their bed side manner completly!

Try not to let it worry you, you will lose what you will lose. This is your journey and no one can predict the overall outcome.

Good luck x

Yeah I think you are right, my bf said thats probably what the surgeon was doing too and it does make sense but sometimes a bit of reassurance goes a long way.
x

I was told i would probably lose about 6 stone Mr Ammori said it in a very nice way and said that would be about average for my starting weight. Here i am 8 months down the line and have lost 7 and a half stone and still losing albeit very very slowly! My own goal was to go from a 24/26 to a size 12/14 i've just hit the 14 but would still like another stone off! I would ask anyone to define the word "normal" its a word we never use in social work! Also i know know my life will never be the way it was before and boy am i so glad to put it mildly. So loud raspberries too from Bonnie Scotland lol to the people who put their big feet in it hee hee x

Back