• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im hungry!

janice123

Hey guys, I'm 1 week post op and starting to feel hungry :0( I'm eating on average: B: ready brek L: slim fast D: Soup, plus NAS throughout the day. Do u think its ok to eat (drink) more suitable liquid foods between meals if I'm hungry? Any advice welcome as I don't know how I'm going to get through the coming weeks till a fill! X

Hopefully someone with more advice will be along soon just wanted to say are you getting enough fluids. x

Pick up the phone to your dietician for their advice. I was on liquids only for the first two weeks. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids in x

It is totally normal to be hungry. If your stomach is rumbling then put something in it!
Don't forget yoghurts, they are a good stop gap.
Good luck x

Feeling hungry is something you will get used to . ..having a band doesn't automatically stop you feeling that. Drink plenty of water etc to keep yourself hydrated, but speak to your provider . . .its early days, thicken milky coffees by whipping up/frothing your milk, same with milkshakes, if you blend them with crushed ice, again it makes them thicker so you stay fuller for longer . . .

Thin down little custard (low fat) pots with milk to make it a thinner consistency, but it gives you something to "eat" rather than drink . . fill up on cup a soups if you're feeling hungry . . .but, that hunger is often there even with fills . . .having a band or a fill doesn't make that go away per se.

Thanks top Kat, just didn't expect to feel it so early on! Haven't tried custard pots yet so ill give those a go. Thanks for your support :0)

You will find that often during the 2nd week of fluids that the hunger comes back - swelling etc is going down and that you're working your way back towards mash and the normal foods.

When you get to mash and then normal foods you'll be able to keep the hunger at bay better by eating drier and crunchier foods - so much of the band and how it works is about the choices of the food that we make at that point. And this is often why they say anything we lose during these times until a first fill is a bonus.

Even though you may feel that you could eat thicker things, always check with your provider and don't just think one thing will be ok - it could potentially do damage while you're healing.

Some of it may be head hunger - the fact you're not hungry at all but have the habit of "eating", or dehydration can also be confused with hunger, drinking a glass of NAS squash or water when you feel hungry is often a good habit to get into, if after you've had it, you still feel hungry, then its likely that you are, but I often find that when I have a drink that it takes it away, it also means that I do actually eat less when I come to eat :)

I've had a better day today top Kat, haven't felt hungry at all, even when all the family were eating a curry! No I'm not taking any risks re liquid diet stuck to it, probably just need to drink more, I struggle to drink lots - always have! Making the effort though x

Go you :)

I struggle with water, but do ok with NAS squash and have a variety of flavours. I know it adds a few cals and a few carbs to my daily amount, but it does enable me to get water in LOL I've also just started drinking green tea (tetley variety with honey) means I dont have milk or sweetener so is another way of getting "clear" fluids too :)

Might have to give that a go! I don't like tea or coffee so always looking for a nice hot drink. Like hot choc but trying to save options hot choc as a treat! Lol x

I have an options hot chocolate each day too -love the white one as its creamy and sweet but 40 cls doesn't break the bank, am quite liking the green tea and didn't think I would, and cos I normally have sweetener I don't need it in the text key honey one lol

I got them cos they were on offer in Asda and only £1 the box of 50 :)

Back