• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im new and feeling very lost

sexysocks

Hi Everyone,

I have been today for my second appointment at guys (1st being the group info session) and I've seen the doctor and dietitian and had bloods weight Ect done and I've been told my next appointment will be about 6-8 weeks and will be with the surgeon and I'm just wondering what will happen at this appointment and just what to expect really I have chosen the sleeve.
I would be grateful for any help or information.

Thanks Sabrina x

Hey Sabrina, i cant help im afraid as i want done at Guys, but good luck and welcome :) xxx

Hi caren,

Thanks for writing back to me could I ask did you have a sleeve? I'm just trying to find out some information on the sleeve surgery? The things the doctors don't tell you.

Regards
Sabrina
X

Welcome Sabrina, hopefully some sleevers will be along shortly to help :D

Hi I'm a sleever. When I met my surgeon he explained the options available and what he'd recommend, then I got to ask him any questions I had. If you want to ask me any questions feel free. I am 4 months out and 5 stone down and I love my sleeve.

Hi,

Thanks so much for replying,
There were a couple of things I wanted to know if you didn't mind as i decided I wanted a band and done all the research on a band Ect and was advised yesterday when I went to guys that the band wouldn't be suitable for me and I would be much better off with a sleeve or a bypass and I'm 90% sure a sleeve is the way forward for me I just have a few concerns.
I keep reading things about a milk diet before surgery Are you on a pure liquid milk diet for a few weeks before surgery?
was there a lot of pain and discomfort after the surgery?
I was told by the doctors it's 3 months before you can eat solid foods after the surgery was this the case for you?
I'm not a big drinker my self might have the odd glass of wine if we go out with friends and I wondered would that be something I can do after surgery or do you have to cut alcohol all together?
I hope you don't mind me asking these question.
And congratulation on your weight loss
Many thanks
Sabrina

Welcome, I am not a sleeve - you will find this site a godsend pre op - everyone is helpful and you will always find someone with the same worries as you and lots of people who have already been through them to then help reasure you... I do not doubt for one minute that I would not have done so well in my journey without people on this site!!
Good Luck
xxx

sexysocks said:
Hi,

There were a couple of things I wanted to know if you didn't mind as i decided I wanted a band and done all the research on a band Ect and was advised yesterday when I went to guys that the band wouldn't be suitable for me and I would be much better off with a sleeve or a bypass and I'm 90% sure a sleeve is the way forward for me I just have a few concerns.
I keep reading things about a milk diet before surgery Are you on a pure liquid milk diet for a few weeks before surgery?
I was told by the doctors it's 3 months before you can eat solid foods after the surgery was this the case for you?
I'm not a big drinker my self might have the odd glass of wine if we go out with friends and I wondered would that be something I can do after surgery or do you have to cut alcohol all together?
Many thanks
Sabrina

Hiya and welcome. You are just a few steps ahead of me but I am London too (Chelsea & Westminster). I'm hoping for sleeve and have the same questions x
Rudders

Thank you so much for all your comments it's so nice to find and speak to people whom is going through the same thing or similar thing and rudders what point are you at? Have you made a choice which surgery if any you would like?
X

sexysocks said:
Thank you so much for all your comments it's so nice to find and speak to people whom is going through the same thing or similar thing and rudders what point are you at? Have you made a choice which surgery if any you would like?
X

I have funding and have had first consult. I am awaiting dietician, psychologist and surgeon. My mind has changed with the weather about what procedure to have but I think I'm decided on the sleeve. This site has been sooo informative! Isn't it exciting!!!
Good luck to us both!

It looks like we are a few weeks apart be good if we kept in touch be nice to speak to someone else going through the same as me I'm excited about the next step and ready for new part of my life to start now and I completely agree this site is wonderful x

Hi,

Many thanks
Sabrina

Hi. I didn't do a milk diet. There were 5 choices and I picked low carb low cal. The pain post op was totally manageable. I had liquid paracetamol and it managed the pain well.

I was on normal food after 6 weeks but not much at all.

I'm not much of a drinker but I've had a couple of drinks post op with no probs.

I honestly love this op.

Thank you so much for answering my question Everything I've heard is so positive I know I'm making the right choice for me and just can't wait now x

It looks like we are a few weeks apart be good if we kept in touch be nice to speak to someone else going through the same as me I'm excited about the next step and ready for new part of my life to start now and I completely agree this site is wonderful x

Was good to meet you and your family yesterday.

Glad you are finding the forum a help.

As for your earlier questions, I was lucky enough not to have a pre op diet, although I was already following a low carb' diet.

As for the recovery afterwards, my wounds were stapled and with the exception of a Hematoma under the main work wound I had no issues.

I even drove to London for my 2 week check up.

Different Surgical teams seem to have different post op diet plans. Mine was 2 weeks on Liquids only, 2 weeks on Soft mushy foods and then to start to add normal foods back into my diet.

In my case I did one new food a day so I would know exactly which foods caused any issues.

Although I have had no issues with any foods since that time.

Hello,

It's was very nice to meet you as well and thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me about the sleeve and your journey and for putting me on to this forum it's help so much.
Could I ask who your surgeon was? And was it guys where you had your surgery?
I think I've made a good choice going with guys hospital I had a number to choose from my GP gave me a list.
So is there no foods you can't eat?

My operation ended up being out sourced to a private hospital.

My surgeon was Mr Ameet Patel.

He does have an NHS clinic, but it its and Kings College Hospital.

Oh do they do that a lot out source to a private hospital? We meet the surgeon briefly at the group information season he seems nice enough be nice to have a one on one chat with him just wish I didn't have to wait 6-8weeks but I'm sure that time will go by super fast.
Is it difficult when you go out with friends for a meal or round friends houses for dinner? (Because we were told at the information session that you have to chew everything 20 times so that must take ages to eat a meal)

Hi there, congratulations on taking this step. You won't regret it!
I am 9 weeks post op. My surgeon only ever asks you to do a high protein/low fat/low carb pre-op diet. I only had a week's notice for my op and I managed to lose 9lbs!
Everyone's surgeon is different though, there are some who don't want you to do a pre-op diet at all.
No food has been a problem for me so far, but I do have to remind myself to eat very slowly or it comes back up! (sorry!) I feel amazing already. After the op, I was on 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks puree food and 2 weeks soft food. It flew in and I knew it wasn't forever so it was no problem at all.I had no issues with after-op pain. I was in hosptial for 4 days as they had to remove a slipped gastric band so I had more going on and I had no painkillers whatsoever when I got home. I was up and about very quickly but you do have to be careful. I was told no lifting for 6 weeks and no driving for 3 weeks after the op. I am not a big drinker either and I haven't wanted it. I have been out a couple of times and had one drink and felt great. I felt I didn't need anymore.
I hope it all goes well for you and this forum is fab for any advice you need xx

To start with I followed the rules religiously but now I have learnt what level of chewing is required for each foods.

I only ever eat for 20 minutes then stop.

I have eaten out a couple of times and just eaten mainly the protein some of the other items and left the rest.

sexysocks said:

That'd be great. What area are you? I'm in Bexley Kent. The reason I'm at C&W is I'm under an endocrinologist there who did the referral internally. What's made you lean towards the sleeve?
X
Rudders

Back