• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im new and feeling very lost

Eating out is fine. Tapas is the best meal to go for but if not, i just order a starter and eat it while everyone else is still on their mains and I share a pud with someone. Many restaurants will also pack up what you don't finish and let you take it away. I have made the mistake of taking an hour to eat a sandwich before I realised I should only be eating for 20mins! Whatever I don't finish I throw out or keep for another meal.

Hi sashie, Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me everyone had been so kind and helpful it's making this life changing decision so much easier for me. I feel so much more positive about the surgery and a lot less lost and worried now so I really really appreciate everyone's comments and help. I so glad there isn't major pain as I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain and I have never had major surgery before so the thought was very scary but after speaking to people it's a lot less scary now :) What sort of after care and support do you get?
X

And wonderlust thank you again you have been a great deal of help for me :)
X

I went private and I have been very,very lucky with my aftercare. My bariatric nurse is availiable 24 hours a day at the end of the phone any time I need her, I see my dietician every 4-6 weeks and I can book an appointment see them all any time I need to, even if it's just for a cuppa and a chat. I can see my cousellor any time I need to see her too. (I had a gastric band in 2007 privately and had absolutely no aftercare, no dietician and no counselling. It was awful.) My family are also a terrific support and without them I would be a mess! I have told a couple of friends who have been fantastic too.
You will be fine, just ask your team loads of questions (I used to go to my appointments armed with sheets of paper with questions on them!) That's what they are there for and it's their job.
About the pain....I am a major wimp too. I think I cried when they were about to put me to sleep because I was so scared. Everytime they came near me with an injection by blood pressure soared, I am ridiculous! I was amazed at how pain-free I have been. I expected it much worse but I can promise you, it's not bad at all.
xx

Hi! I had my sleeve 4 days ago and not to put a damper on it but I've given birth 3 times no pain relief and yet I found the pain after the sleeve really bad! Surgeon said I was straightforward case and op was textbook yet I was in agony after and even now I'm so sore and hubby helping me get out of bed etc. def feeling much better then forst couple days post op but just feel I have to say not everyone finds the pain to be little. I am happy I had it done and can't wait for my new life to start so best of luck!! Pre op diet was tough but managed and I had mine uch London and was happy. Any other info just ask!

That'd be great. What area are you? I'm in Bexley Kent. The reason I'm at C&W is I'm under an endocrinologist there who did the referral internally. What's made you lean towards the sleeve?
X
Rudders

I'm in Sittingbourne Kent :)
At first I wanted a band but was advised by the doctors and dietitian that a band isn't suitable for me and I should consider a sleeve or a bypass and after much talking and research I've decided the sleeve is a better fit for me. What about yourself? I was referred by my GP and he gave me about 10 hospitals to choose from and after speaking to friends and family I decided on guys.
Have you had your next appointment through yet?

Sabrina
X

Hi! I had my sleeve 4 days ago and not to put a damper on it but I've given birth 3 times no pain relief and yet I found the pain after the sleeve really bad! Surgeon said I was straightforward case and op was textbook yet I was in agony after and even now I'm so sore and hubby helping me get out of bed etc. def feeling much better then forst couple days post op but just feel I have to say not everyone finds the pain to be little. I am happy I had it done and can't wait for my new life to start so best of luck!! Pre op diet was tough but managed and I had mine uch London and was happy. Any other info just ask!

Hello,
Thanks so much for your comment so did they hospital not give you anything for the pain?
And even though you have the pain do are you glad you have done it?
I've never been through child birth and the thought of putting my self through so much pain is scary but I have to think positive that a few days of pain (if I get some fingers cross I don't) is worth it for my long term goal.

Sabrina
X

Hello,
Thanks so much for your comment so did they hospital not give you anything for the pain?
And even though you have the pain do are you glad you have done it?
I've never been through child birth and the thought of putting my self through so much pain is scary but I have to think positive that a few days of pain (if I get some fingers cross I don't) is worth it for my long term goal.

Sabrina
X

I'm sorry about my spelling I writing this on the way to work and my mobile keeps auto correcting and I've just read the message back to myself and thought some of it didn't make sense hope you understand the message lol x

No worries I understood message! They gave me morphine but it kept making me vomit and paracetamol dissolvable I couldn't manage as wasn't coping with drinking so soon after op. finally they gave me a morphine shot in my leg and that helped but I'm just feeling so sore still and did not expect to! I can see how it's improving daily and yes I'm still happy I have done it and would choose to again as its the tool I need and can see on here how there are so many that are so happy with the sleeve!

Please stop asking how it was for other people and frightening yourself because everyone is different. Everyone has different pain thresholds. I considered my sleeve op to be less painful than a migraine. Yes I needed help to get out of bed but that's because you've got incisions. Yes I was uncomfortable but it was mainly gas. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Please stop asking how it was for other people and frightening yourself because everyone is different. Everyone has different pain thresholds. I considered my sleeve op to be less painful than a migraine. Yes I needed help to get out of bed but that's because you've got incisions. Yes I was uncomfortable but it was mainly gas. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

It hasn't scared me or put me off I would rather know all the details and worse case sort of thing so I know what to expect i still so exited but thank you for the concern x

Awww bless ya is it weird that it didn't scare me?
I just felt more informed I'm still going to do this the pros well out weigh the cons x

Because childbirth seems to be THE pain of all pains it does concern me.
The only pain I really ever had was burst appendix....
My thirst for details is almost obsessive, like you I need to know the ins and outs of everything so some days I'm completely chilled and happy with my choice then I read something that freaks me out temporarily.
It's all put into perspective when I think what state my body will be in in 3 years time if I do nothing!!!
I just read scooters entire thread and even that hasn't put me off....doesn't mean I'm not scared tho :0)
X

The only thing that actually frightened me was coming around after the op and my chest feeling so tight.

This was very unpleasant.

If I had been warned before hand I wouldn't have paniced the way I did.

I was sleeved 23rd October this year and didn't feel any pain after just a bit of discomfort, I've had worse hang overs!!!! Xx

Hi,

Thanks so much for replying,
There were a couple of things I wanted to know if you didn't mind as i decided I wanted a band and done all the research on a band Ect and was advised yesterday when I went to guys that the band wouldn't be suitable for me and I would be much better off with a sleeve or a bypass and I'm 90% sure a sleeve is the way forward for me I just have a few concerns.
I keep reading things about a milk diet before surgery Are you on a pure liquid milk diet for a few weeks before surgery?
was there a lot of pain and discomfort after the surgery?
I was told by the doctors it's 3 months before you can eat solid foods after the surgery was this the case for you?
I'm not a big drinker my self might have the odd glass of wine if we go out with friends and I wondered would that be something I can do after surgery or do you have to cut alcohol all together?
I hope you don't mind me asking these question.
And congratulation on your weight loss
Many thanks
Sabrina

Welcome and I will try to answer your questions in the order you have asked them in, but my answers are only from my experience and perspective : -

The options between a Band / sleeve / bypass can be made depending on your BMI. If your BMI is in the higher range then you may be probably recommended a sleeve or a bypass. Also there are higher long term success rates with a sleeve, and higher still with a bypass. I chose to go with a sleeve rather than a bypass though as there were other side effects of a bypass that I wanted to avoid such as malabsorption.

The pre-op diet depends on what your surgeon wants, my surgeons recommended a diet, but not the milk diet, I had slim fast twice a day and a light meal in the evening.

I had wind pain after the surgery but no other real pain, it was just a bit difficult getting up and down from the bed for the first couple of days. I was also quite careful not to put any tension on my wounds, (i.e. not reaching things out of tall cupboards) for a few weeks post-op.

The post-op diet is as recommended by your doctor, I think I was on fluids for a week, then very puree for two weeks, then soft diet for two weeks. I am two months post op and can eat any texture food, however some things are tolerated better than others.

I had half a glass of white wine on Saturday night, first alcohol since surgery and was fine. The advice I got was to wait until after my first out patients, which I had last week.

Hope the above helps?

The only thing that actually frightened me was coming around after the op and my chest feeling so tight.

This was very unpleasant.

If I had been warned before hand I wouldn't have paniced the way I did.

That's the key isn't it...knowledge!

I wasn't lucky enough to find this forum, or clever enough to think about looking for support online.

I went into the hospital knowing very little.

I now try and make sure I spread as much of my experience to others so they don't have to go in as unprepared as I was.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using WLSurgery

It hasn't scared me or put me off I would rather know all the details and worse case sort of thing so I know what to expect i still so exited but thank you for the concern x

Glad to hear that

I also think its good to hear all sides just to know information. Because from what I'd heard from others I was not expecting to be in a lot of pain so it shocked me and would have been good to know that others have had it too- just knowing what to expect helps! And with regards to childbirth I went back for second and third lol so that must mean something too! My op was Wednesday and I'm still not managing to sleep well as its uncomfortable but the pain is only when I get up and sit down now. I'm down to only 2 painkillers a day!

Back