• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm still around......

Spikeyjaycee

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I got so down through seeing people having their operations before me (and referred after!) that I tok myself away from this board because it was "doing my head in"!!!
I have now succumbed myself to the fact my operation will be in 2010, maybe January, maybe February, but definitely before end of March according to the hospital.
My only concern is that because of the messing around I feel I've received from St Richards and the waiting time etc, I have gone off the rails with my food intake. Part of me thinks if I put weight on before my pre-opp they might not allow the surgery, whilst the other part of me thinks, "Sod it, enjoy it whilst you can!". Does anyone know whether the hospital can deny the operation even at this late stage? I would argue the point though that its the waiting time that's making me want to eat more and is playing havoc with my emotions.
Has anyone else felt this way?

:)Hi Julie,

Glad you're back with us

Don't know the answer but perhaps if you let your Gp know how the lack of a date is affecting you at least that would be down on record & GP may subscribe reductile/orlistat if you're not already on it-

Also try playing on the arcade games on here-I've never played computer games before-I'm now addicted-lol & too busy to eat between meals (transfer addiction-lol)

Hi Julie. Dont worry about it, I am exactly the same as you, I am eating for England!!!!.
I spoke to the dietician and she said dont worry that the surgeons at st richards dont worry about it and they understand because of the stress of waiting so long.
I was also told that as long as the surgeon did not specify that you must loose weight before surgery ( except for the pre op diet ) it is expected. lol xx

Thanks for your replies.
Poppet - I've tried all the medication - WLS is the final hurdle. Doctor won't prescribe me any more.
Karen - thanks for putting my mind at rest. The only thing the dietician said to me was try to maintain weight - not lose it so that should be ok.

I'm in a similar boat (although my rny is technically a revision). My op is likely to be Feb maybe March and I am eating for England (if not the world...). I saw Mr Somers and he said that I shouldn't worry about it, only in some cases where the weight gain would change the op from acceptable to high risk would they be concerned. I am trying to stay focused, but steadily gaining weight. Would help if I had a date (even if it is March) so at least there was something to focus on, at the moment I feel in limbo, like I am in no-mans land...

I reckon that a lot of people waiting will have their ops b4 or during March as budgets will be closed during beginning of Feb while the accounts are prepared for close of financial year. Any money that has not been earmarked for usage will go back into the hospital's pot and no manager wants that as it will be assumed that that dept. doesn't need so much and so next years budget will be less if you see what I mean. In Education every school makes certain budget is spent or ear marked for use before end of March - otherwise the LEA claws it back - I assume the NHS trust would do the same. That's my theory anyway, so get hassling them! x

I'm in a similar boat (although my rny is technically a revision). My op is likely to be Feb maybe March and I am eating for England (if not the world...). I saw Mr Somers and he said that I shouldn't worry about it, only in some cases where the weight gain would change the op from acceptable to high risk would they be concerned. I am trying to stay focused, but steadily gaining weight. Would help if I had a date (even if it is March) so at least there was something to focus on, at the moment I feel in limbo, like I am in no-mans land...

Hi babyflower.
Do you mind me asking when you were referred? Oh god here I go again.....paranoid that people are being seen before me..........:cry:

Hi babyflower.
Do you mind me asking when you were referred? Oh god here I go again.....paranoid that people are being seen before me..........:cry:

Well, I think it's a bit different for me as I am a revision and Mr Somers has already removed my band. I was approved for further surgery (the funding) in Feb/Mar time, which was confirmed in September when I said yes to an RNY.

I have been told that March is my cut off time (although I have no idea how this is calculated - cannot be 18 weeks?). I saw Mr Somers again in September and he told me Christmas, but when I emailed Christine, she said that this was definately NOT the case and it would be next year.

Fed up with the wait, but not getting too stressed about it - sure it will happen when it's meant to (just hope I haven't gained too much more weight).

There seem to be many factors as to the timescales for people's op:date funding is approved, date when had psych assessment, pct etc so hard to compare with others really...

Back