• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

include preop loss or not??

indianlight

I love nothing more when reading posts than to look at peoples dates of op and how much they have lost and working out the weekly average and i'm sure lots of others do this too.

What frustrates me a little about this is that some people do and some people don't include preop loss. I haven't cos i think this is about how much i have lost since my op, but i know others look at this differently and thats ok.

THe problem I have is that i work out the weekly weightloss and its huge but then discover someone had included their preop loss. As we all know the length of preop diets differ depending on surgeon, so its impossible to work this out.

I was just wondering if others felt like me and if maybe we could make it a bit more uniform with everyone doing it the same way...or is that too restricting and more like a dictatorship???? lol I don't want to upset anyone by this comment, but i'm interested in everyone elses views??? xx:D

hiya
Im not upset about it lol far from it.
I included my pre op diet loss as its a loss.
I see it as part of my weight loss journey so have included it in my weight loss.

I can understand what you mean, just so long as you remember everyone is different so there is no set weekly loss, I know you realise that and I can see why you want to try and get an average but it is difficult.

Maybe putting a comment about how much pre op in the signiture might help, I include it but also have a note there of how much is pre op loss. :D

I include my pre op loss as that is when I started my journey and that pre op diet was really HARD! I am still patting myself on the back because of it. LOL

I don't compare my loss to others as everyone is so different.

mine includes my pre op loss as I like to make sure all my numbers add up

Mine also includes my pe-op diet, But i was only on it for 5 days and i only lost 5lbs pre op, So its easy to work out, and i also have a little note saying 5lbs was included in the pre op diet.

Yep - another one here who includes the pre op loss - but again, its made very clear in my signature.

I also love looking at peoples losses. I am really not bother if pre-op loses is added or not. I think all losses should be celebrated and you all should be very proud of yourselves, I'm sure those pounds didn't come easy. Pat on the back to you all lol.

My journey started with pre-op so it's included.

Why beat yourself up trying to work out figures that have too many variables? :D:D:D:D

I take my start weight from the time of my clinical assessment which was in October.

It was that point at which I started to lose weight for my operation, and I worked too chuffin hard between then and my surgery to have that 55lbs loss not considered. If asked I will always make it clear how much weight I lost pre/post op.

There are those who loose hardly any weight in preparation for surgery, and some who even gain weight in a mad final splurge. I don't judge them and would not criticize anyone for not losing or gaining weight pre op, but those who did "loose" should not then loose out by having their efforts ignored.

Just my two Bobs worth you understand

I dont think we are beating ourselves up. Ime quite proud. because It doesnt matter if its 1Lb or 10stone its still a loss. we are just answering Indianlights question. Gail-Michelle:cool:
My journey started with pre-op so it's included.

Why beat yourself up trying to work out figures that have too many variables? :D:D:D:D

well i am still pre op and am due for surgery in 4 weeks but have lost 40lbs in preperation (starting last December) and am so proud so it will be included in fact it is on my ticker already but i will make a note of pre op loss as my weight comes off after surgery

I started counting from the start of pre op diet;)

to be honest i look at it this way, you start your journey at your heaviest, until you reach your goal, the difference between the two is your weightloss, nothing more or less

I lost a stone on pre op so definitely including it lol I also say on my sig though so its clear x

Thanks for the replies...I was just curious or nosy as my oh says!!

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone or undermine anyones loss by any means so don't take it that way please!!

I lost and kept off approx 5 stone with my band but havent included that on my ticker. I believe my weightloss time started again from the day i went into hospital for my bypass but from all the replies its nice to see that everyone has their own 'starting point' and thats fab!!

The reason I love looking at peoples weightloss, is only cos when you are having a bad day it gives you hope and when you are having a good day you can share. I'm not comparing my loss to others I understand that everyones different but its nice to share with people who are at a similar stage to me and theres nothing better than sharing a weightloss with someone....xx

Hi, I include my pre-op loss in my total which was 20lbs (I have now added a note to my ticker to reflect that;)). I understand why you would want to see how everyone else did but like others have stated, we are all different.

My loss is over 50 weeks (including 2 weeks pre-op diet) so that would be 133lbs/50=2.66lbs per week. If you reduce that by the pre-op loss it would be 113/48=2.35lbs per week, so not much difference really. Just a couple of months ago my average was up over 3lbs a week, see the stats change as you get further out and closer to goal because weight loss slows. So weekly averages really don't mean that much.

Nic:D

My opinion wont count (yet) but I think that any loss should be added as this is our goal.
No matter whether the loss was due to the op or pure determination to get that op I dont feel that it should matter.
Everyone is so different and losses and gains are so different.
Dont beat yourself up if you are not "conforming" to what someone elses stats are at the same lengt of time etc...
Its your journey so do it how you want. xx

Back