• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Infected stitches

Emma2206

Started getting pain last night, couldn't stand this morning, took some paracetamol and then at midday my top felt soaking. My stitches have burst and ( sorry for tmi) oozing yellow stuff.
Went straight to docs and been out on an aggressive course of antibiotics, been signed off work for another week .
Had this happened to anyone else? I'm feeling completely rubbish :(

My stitches didn't burst but one of my wounds started leaking viscous fluid by the ton, I mean it literally soaked my bed and I panicked big time. I went straight to a doctor and luckily It wasn't infected. I just had to keep it really clean. It's rubbish that this has happened but at least you are being treated now and hopefully you will feel much better soon x

I'm just a bit worried cause its my portal site. It keeps swelling, then popping, but I'm getting an angry red rash creeping over my stomach now. Couldn't sleep with the pain last night. Hopefully the antibiotics will start to work soon :(

keep a close eye on it, keep dressings clean and if there is no improvement in 48 hours then go back to the dr or even A&E - you don't want to risk getting sepsis. good luck, I'm sure it will all be ok in the end and be worth it xxx

if it looks like its getting a lot worse you need to ring your gp to make sure that is ok better safe than sorry with infections

I went back this morning. They've taken a swab to send to the hospital to see what we're dealing with, he said with the amount of antibiotics I'm on, it should start improving quickly, if I see no improvement by Monday I'm to go back x

Hello, yes I had same thing....but not port site....I'm 6 weeks post op now, had antibiotics too but mine has still not healed properly! Apparently I wasn't helping mine by bathing everyday, every time if started to scab over id ruin all progress by getting it wet! My other half suggested not bathing for a week (obviously flannel washed instead) but he was right it worked! I finally have a nice big scab there which I am just waiting for it to fall off. Fingers crossed for u that the antibiotics work, but seriously try not bathing! Lol x

Ha ha, that's what I said...didn't help the my other half found it funny to tell people I hadn't bathed for a week! Lol x

Back