• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Injections??? post op self administered??

I just read something on a post on here about post op people having to give themselves injections for 7 days??? Have I missed something????

I had 10 days of injections. Some have had longer some not as long.

These are for blood thinning as you won't be as mobile and you stand the chance of having a blood clot.
I also had to have them while in hospital having my tummy tuck

I think some providers give these and other dont. I didnt have no injections post op ( I am a bander) Wishing you all the best for your forthcoming surgery x

I'm going have to have them for 10 days post op, I think my daughter will do them as I don't think I will be able to inject myself and my partner is scared of needles ( the big wuss) :D

No one was as big of a wuss with needles than me. But I self injected and it was nowhere near as bad

I can understand he doesn't like needles been stuck in him ( although he managed to get over it or the huge tattoo on his leg!)...but I thought he'd be ok with doing mine, but anyway I'll try myself and if not my daughter says she'll happily stik needles in me :rolleyes:

I'm not much worried about pain or even bruises, I just don't know if I'll physically be able to stick a needle in my tummy?

I didn't think I could but I managed it.

im a bander and had to self inject for 2 weeks post op.not as bad as u think,they just leave ugly bruises for a while x

They're a doddle, truly. The needle is super fine and retracted so it's more like an epi pen, position the end of the syringe over your tum, press the plunger and it's sorted. Very quick, very easy can't-get-it-wrong and doesn't hurt. Does leave huge bruises sometimes though. I was on them for 4 weeks (rehospitalized) and Dh made big sport of them, got our little girls to assist as 'nurse', cleaning with the alchohol pad before and after.

Not all are retracted, some are just standard syringes - mine were but all have super fine needles. I often have to inject animals at work but when it came to myself I was a bit scared but it was fine. I had to inject twice a day for 14 days. They do take practice but you will be a pro by the end of the time. They don't hurt, maybe sting occasionally but definitely don't hurt and your nurse will instruct how to do it correctly before leaving the hospital. If you are really worried they will teach a partner or who ever else you want to do it but I found it easier to do it myself :) best of luck for your op :) x

Emma. The clexane one you'll get from the Thornbury are retractable with a very fine needle.

HI Queen, I did not know I was getting them either till I was leaving after my op 2 weeks ago. The nurse came in and gave a box and make me inject one infront of her to make sure I did it correctly.
I had never injected myself before but it was really, really easy. She told me just to pinch some skin on my stomach, hold my thumb on top and jab into my skin, then push down till you hear a click. Once you hear the click the needle automatically retracts so there is no needle to take out, just stab, push and done.
The needle is super fine and honestly you really do not feel much at all.
Good luck with your journey :)

Hi Queen mine was with the Hospital group at Dolan park. There is no blood at all neither when it goes in or when you take it out. The needle is really very fine. Honestly it is nothing to worry about. It has to be done in the morning though so if you have someone around perhaps they could do it for you?

I am having my op soon, and will have the injections after. Do they give you a sharps box to safely throw the needles away after? Or is this something else I need to worry about buying before I go into hospital?

Lush121 said:
I am having my op soon, and will have the injections after. Do they give you a sharps box to safely throw the needles away after? Or is this something else I need to worry about buying before I go into hospital?

yes you get given the sharps box. But if not I'm sure your gp or local chemists will provided one if you ask.

Back