• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

weight loss surgery - anyone had it

1925hall

Hiya
My mum has had problems with her wait for 20 years now it has increased over the years - since she lost her husband when she was 30 then my brother 5 years later. she has tried all diets under the sun, she just comfort eats.
she admitts that this is a problem as she is 5ft and weighs 0ver 16.5 stone she has high blood pressure also and artharitis - she is 55
I told her i would research the gastric band and things for her. i did email a woman but she did not help much - could you explain to me the types and what follow ups there is etc
what price and where it can be done, i dont know anywhere in northern ireland that does this. thanks in advance for your answers and information
donna

Well ordinarily here in the uk you (or your mum in this case) would go to your gp and get a referral (if ur eligible) for funding on the nhs..............but it does all depends on ireland etc as i am not up to date on all the procedures etc.................someone else will be along to give you more insite.....welcome to minmins btw xxx

all the best - mejulie x

Hi Donna and :welcome2:to mini's. Sorry I can't help as I don't know the procedure for Ireland, I have read though that funding through the NHS there is really hard to get.There are many mini's here who will know, and be able to advise you on the best route to take. Good luck to your Mum on her journey through wls.

I live in Dublin so I think things are different down here.
I had gastric Band done 1 week ago today, I went privately and was done in The Priory Birmingham.

Everything was very straight forward, and went well.

I think there are a few people from northern Ireland and they have all had to go private an have come over here to have it done as there is no where near home for them to go. I'm sure they will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong. Hope you get the answers you need xXXXx

Yep thanks Tes, you saved me typing. :) The situation here re wls is diabolical aka non-existant. Apparently there was an NHS waiting list up until Nov 2007 ( and most on that list were waiting 4 years plus) when the guys who hold the purse-strings decided the money could be better spent elsewhere and there wasn't a need for it in NI!:mad:

So yes, your Mum most likely will have to go to Eng/abroad to get surgery. There's an Andrew Kennedy in Belfast I had a consultation with in Feb 08 and he was gonna do my bypass privately in Royal Victoria but the facilities were withdrawn, he then told me in May 08 he was gonna do banding in the ulster independent clinic and I rang his secretary a couple weeks ago to find out what the score is now and I was told the same story. So no further forward in 13 mos. She said she'd pass on my number but no word since, he's not great about getting back to you. Also although he's an upper GI surgeon he doesn't seem very experienced. He's only done about 60 operations total. HTH.:)

Back