• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

liver didnt shrink enough :(, anyone else?

lullaby

Back from a 24hrs visit to the hospital, very sore and no bypass, liver didnt shrink enough, so couldn't have it.
said i could go back in 6 weeks after a 4 week pre op diet this time and not 2 week,
but not sure i want to, what if it happens again, and they cut me open just to be told in recovery they haven't dont it, i was so gutted and shocked, couldn't believe what they were saying, dont think i could handle that again, feel like such a failure,
i stuck to the last pre op diet the weight loss people gave me, except for a drop of milk!! only to be told it wasn't strictly right, and the hospital has give me a different one now, i just feel yukkie :( xx
has it happened to anyone else?

oh honey im so sorry :( that must have been awful for you, but do go ahead with the next one, im sure a different diet will help xxx

I did three weeks and they noted that my liver was still fatty. I'd had fatty liver disease for 7 years though so who knows how bad it was before the pre-op diet. Since my op my bloods are normal indicating that the liver disease has gone. I'm so thankful that it has ! I had open surgery.
Don't give up though hun. ad as you feel today it is much better to be safe than sorry and it will be worth it in the end.
Hugs xx

Last edited:
Aw, how gutting for you, honey :cry::cry: I know you must be feeling very low at the minute, but please don't let it put you off :wave_cry: In a few weeks you will feel entirely differently ... don't miss this opportunity to change your life forever, please xxx :sigh:

Thank you for your kindness,
i am soooo disappointed :(

Thank you for your kindness,
i am soooo disappointed :(

You must be, honey :wave_cry: anyone would be, but you will also be in shock & so it isn't the best time to make decisions. Just be kind to yourself for a few days then get back on the horse & do the diet again. I did the milk diet which I feel was easier for me as NO opportunity to get it wrong ... good luck, sugar xxx :)

Aw you poor thing. Was it the milk diet? I did mine for six days as i had a blip at the start and my surgeon told now liver had been perfect, maybe the milk diet is slightly more affective?

No i wish it was the milk diet, it was 3.5oz chicken or fish, 2 eggs, 5 fruit or veg and oxo bovril to drink, was told over the phone by them that sweetner nd tinned tomatoes were allowed but my nurse said that was wrong,
Thanks twinkle your right about making up my mind, i will save it for a few days, :) xx

Really sorry to hear this hunni . We heard recently the same happened to someone at our hospital xx

aw poor you. I think anyone would have been gutted if they had that! Better safe than sorry though, if your liver had started bleeding you could have bled to death! It must be doubly upsetting when you read about people cheating on the pre op diet and getting theirs, and then you stick to it and don't get your op. Next time you'll be ok. x

Sorry you had a bad time hun xxx
I have done 20 days and im soo worried it won't have shrunk :(

Sorry you had a bad time hun xxx
I have done 20 days and im soo worried it won't have shrunk :(

I asked them how often it happens and they said no very often, so dont worry, i was just unlucky :) xx

aw poor you. I think anyone would have been gutted if they had that! Better safe than sorry though, if your liver had started bleeding you could have bled to death! It must be doubly upsetting when you read about people cheating on the pre op diet and getting theirs, and then you stick to it and don't get your op. Next time you'll be ok. x

Thank you, you are so right, everything happens for a reason, i should count my blessings :) xx

so sorry hun

sorry to hear that . i had my op on fri, i was sooo worried my liver hadnt shrunk, i started a normail diet on 8th feb , piece of toast in am, soup 4 lunch, then a small low cal eve meal, i had min 2 litres of water in day, n rivita if wanted , was hard but so glad i did n lost 5 stone, it will be worth it , keep smileing,

I'm actually really shocked. I thought this whole business of "has my liver shrunk enough?" was just a ruse of the provider to scare us into sticking to the pre op diet. And what about those who don't even go on a pre op and still have their ops?? I really feel for you lullabye.

As has been said, don't give up...give yourself a few days to get over the shock and disappointment, then get back to it and do whatever your provider suggests, no cheating!

I'm really sorry you had to go through that without the bypass to start your weightloss journey.

I did the same diet as you - to the letter without exception - yet my liver also didnt shrink and it filled the abdomen cavity my surgeon said which is why he resorted to open surgery.

I did at least get my surgery, but recovery was delayed with the trauma of open surgery and had to have 2 weeks in hospital.

I hope you get your key hole operation in 6 weeks and have a tiny little liver so that it can all be safely done and you can recovery quickly with having a less traumatic ordeal :)

Good luck xxx

arr bloody hell i am so sorry you must feel just rubbish and shocked at the moment. twinkle is right give it a few days befor you make any rash decissions. take care and be good to your self. i have fatty liver and am also worried about what happened to you happening to me also. x

That's just devastating when you stuck to the diet - poor you! Stay positive hun and you won't have to wait too much longer x

Back