• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

is any1 under the Royal Derby Hospital???

keeley86

Hi, just looking for people who are having surgery or planning to have surgery at the royal derby hospital as it would be nice to hear about your experiance in the same hossie as me and same doctors.

are you from lincolnshire? i live near boston and would like to join a support group but i cant find anything near by.

Hi Keeley
I am under the Royal Derby Hospital, I live in Nottingham. My first appointment was with Mr Ahmed in July 2009 and I also saw the dietician Rita then. They were very nice and explained about the surgery etc., I was asked to go away and look at my diet habits, portion sizes etc., which I did. Went back in Nov 09 and saw another dietician Libby who was pleased with my progress and I had lost about 10lbs, not great, but not put any on.

Libby said at the time she would email Mr Ahmed, which she did and a letter was sent to the PCT, you do get a copy, but I was refused as they said I had not seen Rita as stated in the original consultation. It was a bit strange and I was gutted at the time. Anyway to cut a long story short in the beginning of April I received a letter from the PCT out of the blue stating that I now have funding. I have been given a date for surgery for Oct/Nov so it's a case of just sitting back and waiting.

If I can anwer any more questions don't hesitate to contact me and I'll do the best I can to answer. Also Karenlouisemee is under Derby, I dont think she has long to wait now, she should be around soon I'm sure (not many post from Derby - maybe a few are lurking?).

Welcome to WLS it's a great place and you'll feel very safe.

Remember message me if you want

Here i am lurking about the place it seems we are few and far between. Keeley there is a support group held the last wednesday of every month at 7 pm but as you are out near boston this could be a little to far for you to travel. as beth said i am hopefully near to surgery date so anything you want to know just ask. Once again welcome to the site everyone is so very helpful.

Hiya - yeah i tried looking for you on facebook karen but couldnt seem to find you. add me if you want this link should take you straight to me:- http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1321908522
i havent been to derby before but from what ive looked on google earth im about 2 hours away. ive got my 1st apointment on tuesday and i believe it is with mr ahmed but my letters and that say im under prof larvin. i dont know whats going to happen! my gp or any1, no one has ever mentioned sending for funding the 1st i heard of it was reading up on here so maybe thats what hes going to do after tuesday. do either of you have health conditions? I suffer from intracranial hypertension which is causing me to go blind so im hoping i dont have to wait for ages because i dont think my eyes will last that long. how long have your been waiting? i was realli nervous about WLS but im realli possative towards it now i have read up on this site! im quite excited, cant wait even! have you searched pct in lincolnshire? i looked on the bospa site and it said something like awaiting information so i dont know. x speak to you soon x

hi keeley i am under derby live in retford notts i have been waiting for nearly a year for band but i do have health issues im under dr ahmed last time i went said it would be about 5 month waiting list so should be about october all being well hope all goes well for you im very nervous about this also excited .

Hi again, just seen your message, hope all went well for you on Tuesday. As I said I am hopefully going to have surgery around October/November. I do have health conditions Keeley, diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnoea however it's spelt. Keep it touch and you too Bracken and welcome to WLS, looks like more people coming in from Derby now.

Hi beth i am under mr ahmed i have a band which has been in for 4 years but not worked mr ahmed is removing the band and i am having a bypass in feb 2011

Hi - just thought id flagg this thread back up as a few have joined this site who are under the derby hospital alately - welcome to this site every1?

does any1 attend the support forum at derby? - karlos gave me an idea of setting up a support forum nearby that we can all get too - mite be worth getting our heads together and seeing what we can come up with!

wishing you all the best of luck on your journeys! xxx

hi to all i think i must have the name of my surgeon wrong everyone has a different one to me i can remember a mr davvy but thats not the one i see i thought it was leader my hubby will know my memory is bad great to see everyone on here who is going to derby you never see the same faces when you go i thought i would as you go 3 mthly will be nice if we meet up at a group great idea to do a group near

it is isnt it - its a 4 hour round trip for me to go up to derby for the support meetings - would be alot better if there was one nearer! maybe in notthingham or somewhere just outside! i dont even know what happens at these support meetings usually! could do with some information!

this is wierd, lol, i've just posted virtualy the same post as you...asking for people who are going through derby..
remember you were the first person to introduce yourself to me when i said i was new to this site (thanks, x)...it's nice to be able to share your journey with people who not only are theygoing through the same thing, but it is also at the same hospital.
p.s...one last thing, i live at new ollerton , which is a small town about twenty miles from nottingham.

Last edited:
keeley, iainone, whos a newby is a friend of mine, he lives in newark, hes going for a bypass, and has just started out on the long road, his gp sent him to a dietician, and i think he has to stay under her for so long, but he said that to get to derby is a pain in the neck, cos its the opposite side of derby to where you get off the bus/train, im not sure which, he did try to be referred to salford where i am, cos its only a few miles away from me, and i could take him and pick him up, but even the bus stops right outside it anyway. and he could stay here to recover. but apparantly they cant/wont do that, not sure which. how did you get from the bus station to the hospital, is there a bus you can get to it, big hugs xx

dawny to be honest luvvy - i havent got a clue! i drive you see so all i know is what the tom tom looks like untill i get there and same again going back so i dont know derby at all! its a 2 hours drive there for me! it is a pain in the neck having to go that far.. im lucky because all my family are drivers so even if i cant drive theres allways sum1 on hand to drive for me!
newark is on the way to nottingham for me so if theres any a time i go to a support meeting up there id be able to give him a lift! if we can get enough people interested ill look into trying to get a support meeting set up somewhere between nottingham and here!

what usually happens at support meetings dawny? youve been to one havent you?

i havent been to a support meeting keeley, cos id have to get my daughter to take me, and i dont like dragging them out at night to take me, and it would all depend on what shifts her hubby is working, cos of the kiddies. but i remember ian saying that where he gets let off, its the other side of d erby, so i dont know, but id have thought that there would have been a bus or something that would take you to the hospital, surely they wouldnt expect ppl to walk all that way, specially if thedy have mobility problems. i believe the meetings are very good though,
big hugs xxx

there will be a bus dotty - tell him to give the bus station a ring, theres got to be a bus surely ors how does the pensioners get there? and its acros the road froma hotel and a big restaurant too, its not like its in the middle of nowhere! im up there next week so ill keep my eye out for a bus stop and let you know the bus numbers that stop there xxx

Reactions: Bev
Keeley.. don't be surprised if we don't all turn up and book in that hotel and visit you Angel!

Love and hugs xxx

Lol mum will b there for me Hun so don't waste ya money honestly I'll b fine... You'd b better off cumin when I'm out of hossie that way I could offer you b&b for free xxx awww your always there Bev, luv u loads xxxx

Love you too Keeley and it won't be long now precious. Love and hugs xxx

i'm under mr ahmed at derby royal and have found him and his team brilliant especially his secretary helen . i've had several appointment over with mr ahmed and the dietecian again really comfortable with them .......6 weeks and ill be being bypassed/sleeved by mr ahmed cant wait ;-)

Back