• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

is any1 under the Royal Derby Hospital???

awww - thats brill - they are a good team! have you got your date then hun? how long was you on the waiting list for?

I am just waiting for my date now. It should be about September i think. I was put on waiting list on 15th march. I have 1 more appointment with Jacqui the dietician in May, then i just have to wait. I am mr Ahmed too.

awww - thats brill - they are a good team! have you got your date then hun? how long was you on the waiting list for?

i got put on the waiting list in dec '10 , i had to ring helen (mr ahmeds secretary) as i'm due a cataract removed and didn't want the op's to clash so she gave me my date 12/5/11 ....so not long left to wait ..:D

its been a long hard journey that is only nearly halfway , the real journey starts after the surgery

stay strong and keep smiling

not as long for others for you though luv - i was put on the list 2 month before you and still havent got my date - ill be on the phone for sure tomorrow - i phoned up last week and theres a delay with being short on beds so how is it that they have given you your date when you havent even waited the 6 months yet? i was put on the list in spetember.

not your fault off course and i hope you do well with your op xxx all the best hun xxx

I was approved for funding early July 10, still not got a date. I am also with Dr Ahmeds

Have an appointment with dietician tomorrow, I am hoping this means it’s close???

Got letter a week ago saying needed to see dietician, but no other info and does not say what appointments for.

Will see what I can find out….

have they told you your on the waiting list luv? ive seen the dietician 3 times - she just asks about how your getting on with your diet and cant tell you anything regarding waiting list - she gave me the number for hellen - scretary but i have been unable to get through to her - i spoke to somebody only last week who said hellen was off sick and said that the waiting list is usually 6 months but because of the lack of beds there is a delay and she would get hellen to ring me back - not had a reply!!!
i asked if i could speed my surgery up as i am in the process of going blind here and loosing weight will help my condition and i was told they couldnt change the waiting list.. everybody waits there turn - which is fair enough!!!

but doesnt seem that way to me - ive been on this 6 month waiting list since september which makes me have been waiting 7 months allready! and bigkev gets his date!!!

i am really happy for you kev - knowing how it feels to be sat waiting i am really pleased you have your date hun coz least you know whats happening now and can plan ahead but i am really frustrated at this! you havent even waited your 6 months yet!!!

does this mean that the staff at derby have been lieing to me??? im not sure whats going off but im deffo going to find out! arrrgghhhhhh! im livid!

Was put on the "6 month" waiting list early July....

Have a letter from Dr Ahmed (sent in September) saying January was likely date for operation...

Have been waiting for a call back from Helen/Dr Ahmed since December...

As they sent me this appointment out of the blue am hoping it's a check that everything OK before scheduling a date, perhaps I am being optimistic but will see what happens tomorrow.

i bet big kevs news seems unfair to you tooo then - sorry your caught in the crossfire here kev! congratulations on getting your date by the way!!!

ive never had a letter from dr ahmed like that so maybe this is your pre op assesment! hope sooo! let me know what they say and tell them that kav has got a date and you find it unfair - i will be doing! as soon as i get up in the morning ill be on that phone and they better have some answers too ors ill drive up there and insist some answers - im going blind here!

It seems they are in a mess at Derby.

I am fed up being fobbed off by Derby. I am going for my 3rd appt with dietician on May10th, and want a few questions answered. I want to see Helen if poss as well.I recieved funding approval on 16th Sept 2010. Derby swears that it was funding just for my visits to Derby, not surgery, even though they have a copy of the letter which says" funding request for bariatric surgery...been approved as patient meets the criteria...give the letter to Derby as evidence of funding approval"

Derby applied again - I have since been put on the list starting March2011!! I have lost 7 months!!

It is soooo frustrating!

they told me they had lost all paperwork when i first applied - i have had nothing but hassle with them from day one and there going to hear about it now!

i think... i wont ring... il be patient - every1 waits there turn like they said but no seeems not! im not having it - it they dont give me answers and preferably a date for my pro op assesment/surgery tomorrow i am going to get in contact with pals!

I too am pleased for Kev, makes sense if needs to schedule 2 operations and make sure they do not clash. Dr Amhed is a nice guy (when you eventually get to speak to him) who will do what he can to help.

I am in a usual situation, have lost ALLOT of weight while waiting for this surgery, and for allot of the time I have spent on the waiting list have been thinking about cancelling operation. For me I have been glad of the wait, but am now keen to move forward.

Letter I got in September was in reply to a letter (well 2 letters and multiple phone calls) I sent. I was concerned that if my BMI dropped below 40 (which it now is) would affect edibility for operation (was about BMI 60 when they applied for funding), he confirmed this would not be a problem now I am on the waiting list and gave estimated date.

Best of luck to you, if you have another condition it’s affecting would definitely try and push for a date ASAP. Only piece of advice I can offer is try as hard as you can to speak to doctor directly (which I know can be tricky) Not sure if you are with Ahmed or Larvin? Long story but have spent a lot of time on speaking with his secretary Helen, not getting anywhere, and waiting months for response, but as soon as speak to Ahmed get the response I want. To be fair to Helen am sure it’s part of her job to stop every patient speaking to surgeon directly, and there are long waiting lists they have to manage.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow.

i agree with that luv - ill find it dificult to get to speak to hellen never mind dr ahmed - he was a luvly chap and do understand its not him thats the problem but still - im going blind here!!! i should have had this op 6 months ago if it was up to my consultant physician! but im still here waiting! we are told the waiting lists are sooo long then get to here sum1 is having there op after only 5 months that is not fair!

sounds like your doing extremely well on your diet luv - keep up the hard work - they say the more you can loose prior to your op the safer it will be - they will just see it as dedication to the journey you are about to begin - i too have lost abit of weight and hope to have lost abit more by the time comes for my pre op assesment xxx all the best hun and i hope you get your date soon xxx

i'm really sorry if i've upset anyone . i was put on the list 3/12/10 my surgery is 12/5/11 so that is 6 months . i've been going to see mr ahmed and his team since may '09 and was turned down for funding in dec 09 and again on appeal april 10 . reason for being turned down south staffs pct dont fund operations at derby royal ! it wasnt my fault i was referred by my gp to the wrong hospital . if i lived 100 yrds further down the road in derbyshire i would have been granted funding

late september there was a article in the burton mail slating mr ahmed and his team for refusing funding for a man from burton . i emailed the reporter and he came to see me and took my story , 2 days later i was front page . the article contained a quote from a senior s.s.p.c.t person who said "if mr baldwin contacts me we can look at his case again".....so i contacted him , my gp mr ahmed . i was even in the sunday mirror and metro .......

within 2 weeks i had fresh blood tests which i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes .these results were sent off to the p.c.t and within 7 days i received a letter saying i was approved funding .i made a appointment and went to see mr ahmed on 3/12/10 . he said as he had already previously seen meseveral times before and i proved i'm capable of doing the requested things he asks of me he will put me straight on the waiting list . i was quite shocked when he said this as i was expecting to have to go back in 3 months for a check up , i had to return to see the dietician after 3 months and had lost 11 kg ..........

i can see your point as thinking it's unfair but i have waited long enough , cryed myself to sleep when turned down for funding twice ....even low enough to contemplate ending it all , thank god for my kids and grandson ;-)

all it takes is a phone call helen and donna have both been really polite and helpful everytime i've spoke to them .....just ring and ask them , explain when you were put on the list and i'm sure they will help you

again i'm sorry if i've upset anyone .......i just dont want people thinking i've had a easy ride

no luv - its not that at all - we all go through the bit prior - ive sent in letters threatening complaint too - not gone as far as the papers tho - but the actuall waiting list from the date you get on it, is 6 months so i was told - was you told the same? and she said she couldnt make it any earlier even though i am going blind as every1 waits there turn and the waiting list cannot be altered - i went on the surgery waiting list on the 23rd of september, 10 and you went on the surgery waiting list on the 3rd of december, 10 - and you have your date and i dont - thats all im angry about!

im not angry at you and you havent upset me - they have!!! i obviously know what its like to be on the waiting list so i really am genuinely happy that you have your date = your must be sooo excited!
im just upset that only last week they told me that there is a massive back log because of the lack of beds then this week you have got your date and i was on the list 2 months prior to you! - can you see why im angry - seems they are just fobbing me off with whatever excuse they can! you have just prooved that they are fobbing me off with lie's and maybe they could have got me in earlier if they had wanted me too!

ill let you know what they say tomorrow on the phone! i wont mention names or anything - dont want it to effect you! but it just shows you dont it!

I remember reading about this, hope all goes well for you.

Don’t think any anyone upset with you, just frustrated with the system.

yeah thats it - not upset with you luv - just feel let down and like ive been lied too all this time!

how many ops in a month

hi does anyone now how many ops they do a month a month ago i was told i was 15th on list but dont know how long it will take take to get to top of list my thyroid has now gone wrong so am worried about gaining weight would love to know how long have to wait im on derby list been on list forever it seems was on for sleeve then lost enough for bypass but was put down list for change oct 10 i think went on list

OK, bad news… Just been to Derby Royal Infirmary, told waiting list is currently about one year…

I was put on list on 17th July, told its likely will have to wait another 3 months…. Gave lots of reasons such as flu patients’ taking up beds etc, but the upshot is they are currently running no where near the 6 month target…

Unfortunately Keeley will not get to see this response as she has been banned (not sure I fully understand what is going on (http://www.wlsurgery.com/news-please-read/136124-very-important-announcement-4.html).

I went to my appointment planning to change my operation to a band, after losing so much weight while waiting that seems a better solution (http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders/135880-2nd-thoughts-about-op-plus-timescales.html and http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders/135944-band-v-bypass.html#post2356274), but the dietician (Lynsey) thought bypass still a better option (although happy to let me make choice).

She thought as I was a binge eater may sabotage myself with band. More confused than ever now….

Sorry for people having to put up with this waits at Derby, I now how frustrating it is.

hi everyone derby told me waiting list was 6 months to but all in all i waited nearly 9 months from going on the waiting list til my op date.

hey everyone xx ive had my name on the list at derby hospital since 14th dec 10 and ive heard absolutly nothing :-( gonna try givin this helen lady a call next week. am really hoping to have it done before august as im supposed to be goin on a carribean cruise in dec. if they waiting list is a yr it will balls everythin up, including work stuff ive put on hold cos i was told june/ aug time. just really wish they would communicate with people more. just a letter every few months to assure people it wont be much longer and to keep up the good work.....but nothing!

sorry to moan lol, just really gettin me down now :-(

Back