• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is my band working properly??!!

jinkles

Hi all, I was banded in January (this yr).
I have had 5 fills and now have 9.5mls in a 12ml band, so am almost full.
I have noticed that quite a few other banders posting on here have said that there are a number of foods that they can no longer tolerate and at times they have been sick as they have ate too much or not chewed their food properly.
I do not have any of these problems and can tolerate any food and in still quite a large quantity.
I have a fill then for a few days I have fab restriction, then my restriction seems to waiver and I find myself eating more (larger portions). I have expained how It feels to my surgeon but he just keeps shrugging it off!!
Considering the capacity I have in my band, do you think that eating 1 whole fillet of cod with 4 small new potatoes and a handful of green beans is too much? This is what I have just eaten for my tea and I only just feel full. I had my last fill last thursday!!!!!

Not being a bander I can't really advise but when you've had a fill before have they taken out the solution before topping up to check what your level was before the new fill? From what I've read that's the easiest way to spot any leaking from the band, which i presume is what you're worried about?

Hi Jinkles, good to see you posting again. You may need just half a mil more in your band. I only had restriction for a couple of days with my 1st fill and then went back to eating what ever I wanted and had to have will power with the quantities. Since having my 2nd fill when they put 7.5ml in my 9ml band I can't eat anything. Ok with mash and soups and slimfast shakes but anything more solid and I'm done for. Just a tiny little bit may be the difference for you to get to the sweet spot. I'm sure the experts will be along soon to give you some good advice.Good luck and I hope you get the restriction you require soon.xx

Cod is a very soft food, so it is easy to tolerate in larger quantities. I could easily eat that meal too.

Where as if I have a fresh tuna steak (a far denser fish) I can only manage a smaller quantity.

To me that does not sound excessive, and more importantly it's a good healthy balanced meal.

A typical meal for me is a chicken thigh or two if they are really small, 3 small new potatoes, and vegetables.

i agree with caz if the food type is too soft then it will drop straight through to the lower stomach, try denser foods this should help x

i cant answer on the meal because i cant eat fish at all im quiet tight and could only manage the 4 potatoes and maybe one mouthfull of the veg . my average size meal would be a laddle size portion of mince n onion and a boiled potatoe

Denser foods could include:-

Tuna Steak (fresh not from a tin)
Chicken Thigh
Guinea Fowl
Prawns
Gammon

I don't have any trouble with any vegetables, so I cannot suggest denser ones but sweet potato is good for you, better that ordinary potatoes, as the carbs are complex not simple.

I am now struggling with fruit...so only have tiny portions of that.

Also I used to enjoy the odd digestive, no I am struggling with these too. So have found I can cope with the odd sponge finger at only 24 calories each!!!

my denser foods are....

chicken, im having that for lunch today with mixed veg.

any sea food

fruit

ryveata/crackers with cheese (very filling off very little)

tuna/baked potato

salad

my denser foods are....

chicken, im having that for lunch today with mixed veg.

any sea food

fruit

ryveata/crackers with cheese (very filling off very little)

tuna/baked potato

salad

Everyones suggestions are spot on :D

I have just had 2 ryvita's - the pumkinn seed ones with some jalapeno and red pepper houmous. Was going to have some strawberries too but im soooo full lol.

I also have jacket pot and tuna but can never eat it all. I knew I was ready for a fill when I could all of it including the skin!

Maz x

Help!!!!

:confused:Hi everyone and thanks for ur replies.
I have just got back from a camping holiday and have put 4lbs ON!!!!!
I have very little restriction (I have 9.5mls in a 12ml capacity band)
I am not restricted by anything. My portions are slightly smaller and the only time I know I have the band is 1st thing in a morning. I have to chew chew chew whatever I have otherwise it hurts as I swallow, but for the rest of the day it's fine.
When I go for my fills the surgeon does draw out whats in before he puts more in and I never get any leakage. I asked him why I feel only a small amount of restriction and asked him why after each fill I get good restriction for the 1st few days then the restriction seems to dissappear. He said he didn't really know and that i would have to be more strict with myself......If I could be strict with myself I wouldn't have needed the band done in the first place!!!!!!! I told him.
He said its just the way it wrks sometimes. Does that mean that the band has failed in my case????
I'm now really worried!!!!

I had my first fill last monday and for the first 3 days my restriction was great, could only eat less than a teaplate. But now....im not feeling the same restriction. I think I will try denser foods to try and get some of that restriction feeling back. I have 6.4mls in a Swedish Band but I dont know what size band I have.
Do you think its worth seeing if I can have another fill? because im not really losing very much weight despite doing a fair amount of exercise.

Jinkles - I dont think your band will have failed, maybe youve not found your sweet spot yet, i have to keep telling myself to persevere but its such a long drawn out process!
x

:confused:Hi everyone and thanks for ur replies.
I have just got back from a camping holiday and have put 4lbs ON!!!!!
I have very little restriction (I have 9.5mls in a 12ml capacity band)
I am not restricted by anything. My portions are slightly smaller and the only time I know I have the band is 1st thing in a morning. I have to chew chew chew whatever I have otherwise it hurts as I swallow, but for the rest of the day it's fine.
When I go for my fills the surgeon does draw out whats in before he puts more in and I never get any leakage. I asked him why I feel only a small amount of restriction and asked him why after each fill I get good restriction for the 1st few days then the restriction seems to dissappear. He said he didn't really know and that i would have to be more strict with myself......If I could be strict with myself I wouldn't have needed the band done in the first place!!!!!!! I told him.
He said its just the way it wrks sometimes. Does that mean that the band has failed in my case????
I'm now really worried!!!!

Hi Jinkles

Im sure your band is working, I would suggest writing down what you eat and discussing that with the bariatric team. Also there is now a band daily menus thread, if you add your daily meals on that us fellow banders may be able to advise you further ;)

Back