• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is my GP trying to save some dosh?

Kizzy70

My surgeon has recommended that as well as an assortment of other vitamins, I should also take Forceval.

Well I went for my repeat prescription and my GP has changed it to 2 x multivitamins.

Does anyone know if these are the same strength as Forvceval???

Thank you

Kim

no idea, mine won't even prescribe vitamins!!!!

That's really bad, has your dietician not written to him. What will he do when you start to get ill from a lack of nutrients because of an operation that he referred you for. I would ask to see a different Dr if your practice has one. Any problems seek advice from your surgical team.

Not sure about forceval as I've never had it but my Dr prescribes Sanatagen a-z for me which I take two of a day instead of the usual 1 a day and that seems to suit me very well.

Kate x

It's like having a 'hoover' or a 'vaccum cleaner' or a 'dyson' all do the same thing but are branded with different names - in primary care we are not allowed to prescribe under trade names as there has in the past been lots of back handed deals with drug companies - we all have to prescribe generically now, something the hospital Dr's have not got to grips with - Forcival is a trade name - you are still getting the same drugs but in a different brand so there will be no detriment to your health from it. It's just the same as having paracetamol or panadol - same drug different name.
Hope this helps
xx

p.s most multi vits bottles say one a day - yet you look at the research most suggest 2 a day as best as the water soluble ones are through your system within 6 hours.

I would definitely go back. When I went for my pre-op I talked to my consultant about vitamins and he told me of a case somewhere else in the country where the consultant wrote to GP setting out vitamins and Dr (not knowing anything about gastric bypass) prescribed vitamins without the necessary minerals. Anyway, eventually the woman got sick, A&E didn't know what was wrong with her (they also weren't "up" on GB surgery) and when the eventually found out what was wrong with her she died shortly afterwards - she was zinc deficient. Basically, you need to be prescribed EXACTLY what your consultant has said and not something else. If your GP won't change your vits, go to another GP!

p.s most multi vits bottles say one a day - yet you look at the research most suggest 2 a day as best as the water soluble ones are through your system within 6 hours.

Oonion, hope you don't mind me asking your opinion but I take 1 Sanatogen A-Z a day, my GP said this is sufficient but I take another multivit called hair food by holland and barrett. That has an extra load of minerals that are meant to help with the hair loss/growth like iodine, iron, zinc, folic acid etc. and also vit b12. I was just wondering if you think I'm covering myself enough here or should I double up on the sanatogen? Obviously don't want to under do it but I know taking too many can be a problem too. Unfortunately can't take Forceval as had an allergic reaction to it. Thanks x

Oonion, hope you don't mind me asking your opinion but I take 1 Sanatogen A-Z a day, my GP said this is sufficient but I take another multivit called hair food by holland and barrett. That has an extra load of minerals that are meant to help with the hair loss/growth like iodine, iron, zinc, folic acid etc. and also vit b12. I was just wondering if you think I'm covering myself enough here or should I double up on the sanatogen? Obviously don't want to under do it but I know taking too many can be a problem too. Unfortunately can't take Forceval as had an allergic reaction to it. Thanks x

Shelleymarie - the only vitamin you can become toxic with is Vitamin D; you need to be careful with that one - I can only speak for Mr Patel post op but he prescribes Zinc and Vit D as well as multi vits - there is only a small amount of zinc in multi vits which is why Mr P prescribes it in addition.

However I have recently been very unwell with zinc poisoning, which was very scary as "death" is possible with high levels - it just goes to show that we are all actually very different. My surgeons experience is that not many by passsers absorb their zinc - hence the additional supplement, where my body is clearly being the opposite and was able to absorb it...this is why it is important to have your bloods done regularly as this will pick up on the elements that can become toxic such as zinc or vit D...so to answer your question after all this waffle...You could take 2 of your general multi vit day as long as all the vit D is not over the RDA.
Good Luck xx

My docs would only prescribe Forceval to me after receiving confirmation from hospital that it was one of the multivitamins they recommended

Hi I am 5 1/2 months post op and I haven't had any blood tests yet I am a bit worried as I have been unable to take the zinc as it makes me dump and have really bad stomach cramps do you think I should ask for my bloods to be done. wendy

Again I can only go on the my discharge guidance from Mr Patel - which is bloods at 3 and 6 month and then yearly for life - to check liver, kidney, cholesterol, glucose, zinc, vit D, ferritin, folate, b12 and parathyroid - I just get a copy after and fax it to Beth...I thought all post by pass had this?!
xx

Shelleymarie - the only vitamin you can become toxic with is Vitamin D; you need to be careful with that one - I can only speak for Mr Patel post op but he prescribes Zinc and Vit D as well as multi vits - there is only a small amount of zinc in multi vits which is why Mr P prescribes it in addition.

However I have recently been very unwell with zinc poisoning, which was very scary as "death" is possible with high levels - it just goes to show that we are all actually very different. My surgeons experience is that not many by passsers absorb their zinc - hence the additional supplement, where my body is clearly being the opposite and was able to absorb it...this is why it is important to have your bloods done regularly as this will pick up on the elements that can become toxic such as zinc or vit D...so to answer your question after all this waffle...You could take 2 of your general multi vit day as long as all the vit D is not over the RDA.
Good Luck xx

Thanks Dani, that is very helpful :) xx

I am 5 months out, have had one lot of bloods taken which showed that I was low in everything almost, repeats being done again tomorrow. My gp will only prescribe iron for me. Says all other vitamins are not prescribable. That was the same stance as my old gp as well.

wendy1963 said:
Hi I am 5 1/2 months post op and I haven't had any blood tests yet I am a bit worried as I have been unable to take the zinc as it makes me dump and have really bad stomach cramps do you think I should ask for my bloods to be done. wendy

I have had 1 lot of bloods done which were fine, but I think you should have them done soon. On the paper work from the hospital it said 3 months, six months then twice yearly xxx

i get my forceval on prescription as well as adcal d3, and the rest of my prescriptions for other things but they will not do vit d i have to buy that from on line site as it has to be 5000iu and can't get that strength in normal shops :)

My hospital wrote to the GP and quite specifically said that vitamins were my responsibility, which I am ok with as long as my levels are ok on the next check!!

I hope no-one minds me saying, and I apologise, but this thread doesn't half go to show the differences/discrepancies between care providers both NHS and Private. Which I find slightly worrying if I'm honest.

Hi

Just wanted to post a quick note to this regarding blood tests post bypass, when I went to my GP for my 3 month blood test I found out the the lab that my health authority used does not do all the tests that I was asking for, so in the future there will be no way of knowing if I am becoming deficient in some of the required minerals, which I found quite worrying.

So watch out for your results they may not tell the whole story.

Paul

Paul-H said:
Hi

Just wanted to post a quick note to this regarding blood tests post bypass, when I went to my GP for my 3 month blood test I found out the the lab that my health authority used does not do all the tests that I was asking for, so in the future there will be no way of knowing if I am becoming deficient in some of the required minerals, which I found quite worrying.

So watch out for your results they may not tell the whole story.

Paul

Not good that is it Paul,think they all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet,haven't been to docs yet with my discharge letter am dying to find out what it says in it.

Back