• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is sleep apnea a set back for wls?

mr97

Having just got back from a hospital appointment, where I thought I was going to get a date for my op. I have now been informed that I have sleep apnea. :(

The nurse has given me some kit that includes a mains plug-in device and an oxygen mask. This will check my breathing (whilst sleeping) for a week. They will then issue me with a unit that is calerbrated to suit my breathing pattern, when asleep.

I feel shocked by this revelation as I have recently lost nearly 3 stone and have been feeling much more energized and generally quite healthy.

My concern is that this condition may now delay my wls as the nurse informed me that sleep apnea could cause issues recovering from anesthetic.

The nurse was really nice and explained everything to me, but now I've got home and had time to digest it all, I'm starting to worry that this thing is going to be a spanner in the works!

Has anyone here, diagnosed with sleep apnea, found that is has caused issues re. receiving wls?

i went over night stay in hospital
said i had no problems but when went to clinic they said my be problem
and may be to go to hospital with I T UNIT as dolan park dont have one
lucky i passed the sleep thing to have it here
saving me extra £2000
was praying all week

kay x

Sleep apnoea, is considered a co-morbidity, and thus a reason to be considered for WLS. Some hospitals like you to have had an element of treatment with a CPAP machine (the one that's calibrated to your requirements) before the op, but this is often covered by the waiting process anyway. Hope this helps, personally I love my CPAP!

It put me back but only a few months but life is so much better with a cpap machine if you do have sleep apnea

I pick up a CPAP machine next week so hopefully I will have restful and satisfactory sleep.

It does take time but ask them for a humidifier and rub lipsol on your lips keeps them moist also ear plugs but I now sleep so well
Good luck
Mark

It shouldn't put you back as there are waiting lists anyway for surgery. The surgeon and anaesthetist like to know that if you have sleep apnoea you are OK with using CPAP and used to using it for a few weeks prior to surgery, and they ask you to take it in with you to the hospital.
I personally never got on with CPAP, the mask kept leaking and have not used it since surgery. But then I never had any of the main symptoms of Sleep Apnoea such as feeling sleepy all the time.

Maphillips - thank you for the tips re. lipsol humidifier & ear plugs. If they (the NHS) don't provide me with a humidifier is it worth buying one? Am I right in thinking that it will help my throat not get too try or become sore?
Lush121 - I have been given a time scale of around 5 months for wls. The nurse and the dietician both estimate March next year, all being well. So hopefully I will used to the CPAP machine by then. Thank you

They should it makes all the difference no more dry mouth all I will say don't keep your machine on the floor as its colder there
Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll mention a humidifier when I see the nurse next Tues. I have a ceiling fan that I use in the summer and even that can affect my throat. Thanks again.

Back