• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Work - what did you say for op

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Hiya i dont want anyone in work to know but will have to have time off as wont be able to drive, what did you say why you where off or did you tell them x

I told them, i figured out they'd notice i was losing weight and think i was ill or something. I've recently changed jobs and mentioned my surgery to a couple of my colleagues. When the rest of the staff notice i'm losing weight (as i've just joined w/w and lost almost a stone in 6 weeks) and if they comment i will tell them how i used to be and what changes i made....

But it's an individual's choice xx

I told them, and now I think the whole office knows! They have been really good about it as I havd had to have time off for hosp appointments, blood tests etc. Xx

Hiatius hernia op.... They going to fix that at same time anyway so. I also don't want work to know x

hiya i had bypass 7 th may and told my work i was under going some investigations as i had bowel problems which i do, been off almost 3 weeks now and been bk to dr today and he says i still havent healed enough to go back to work, so hes put on the note ive had major surgical procedure, when i phoend work to say hello they asked what i had done and just said i had a hernia repair and had bowel and stomach operated on bit like a bypass, i was to embaressed to tell them the truth, and they have been fine with it, mind u they dont no yet that im off another 2 weeks until tomrow, i feel ready for work but dr says my wounds havent healed up enough and insides will not have healed either.... hope this helps xx

Hi ya bexs, I know it's a bit of an "elephant in the room" isn't it - especially when the weight starts to droooppppp off. I haven't told anyone in work either but I have started to lay the ground work by saying things like "oh I'm gonna get back on my diet shortly" or "oh I'm starting my healthy eating plan in a couple of weeks and your defo gonna see a new me soon". I just can't be bothered with their comments about how much it was or it's well for you or your mad and all the rest. Maybe when I've lost a bit and I feel more confident with my "life" band as I call it I may tell them but at the mo only my husband, daughters and sister in law know. I haven't even told my mum - she's 80 and we lost my dad in feb so I don't want to worry her.

I have told work I had my gallbladder removed as it can be done keyhole too and can explain my weight loss as need to get fit for surgery and lead healthy low-fat lifestyle after - but you would be suprised how many people know people or have had their gallbladder out! Bit of a white lie - but its my business and dont need the constant "how much have you lost now" pressure xx everyone is different xx

Personally, I told the truth although I dreaded telling them as Id only been in my job a few months when I got the surgery date.

If you are having a bypass the weight comes off really quickly so you will inevitably get questions from well meaning colleagues.

I told my manager and one or two close work 'friends' whom I trust. I was off sick for 4 weeks in total. My certificate didn't state what surgery I had though so HR doesn't necessarily know (well I hope not anyway). I'm not keeping it secret from any of my friends of family, I'm quite open about it, but work is a different matter. I work in a large building with lots of employees and I really don't think it's anybody's business. Very few have commented anyway, which is highly interesting in itself. It's glaringly obvious now that I've lost weight, 6 stone down, but I guess people feel a bit funny commenting on a fat persons weight.
Anyway, back to the question.. lol. I chose to keep it a secret from work colleagues but was open with my manager who was very understanding, sent flowers and came to visit me at home too. :)

I didnt tell anyone and booked a weeks annual leave post op - no one knows except my OH my daughter and the 1000's of people on here!

Thanks everyone, so helpfull will see when op is, if in school summer hols with take 2 weeks off but will wait and see xx

My plan was "gallbladder". Like someone else said, you are meant to eat healthier with that surgery anyway. I'm not sure though if the hospitals are suitably "vague" though. Might be worth asking them ?

I'm of the opinon that it's no one else business. People can be very judgemental. I guess it depends how the people you work with are. As a general rule though I still think people see it as just as easy way of dieting.

I am going to take holidays when I have my bypass next year as I am already getting snide comments having time off for a hospital appointment last month. So have decided that from now on any appointments will be taken as holidays them they can't complain any more.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

This is a big worry for me as i have had a lot of illness in the last few years mainly due to migraines.. This has caused problems in work and they put me on a disciplinary for 6 months which has just ended. Now in the next few weeks I will have to tell them I am going into hospital for surgery and will be off between 3 and 6 weeks.. I really dont know how they are going to take it but I'm not asking for their permission this is not up for negotiation... I will use some time as holidays as they dont pay me for being off sick, I only get SSP. I have had to save so I can afford the time off. Ive told my close work colleagues the truth but I dont trust the management to be supportive so I will probably just tell them its for abdominal surgery and hope they dont push for more details..

My boss is aware that I am going for this surgery but has recently during our monthly meeting the first thing she questioned was my time off for appointments and did I think I was going to need much more time off. so this is why I am going to take holidays for the next appointments. less hassle

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

i had my surgery in march 06 and so far at work only 2 people know about it!!

in a way i wished i had told them up front...as 5yrs to keep it quiet is hard at times.. i didnt tell them for the simple reason was i had enough trouble coming to terms with the fact i had to resort to having WLS ... i didnt want to be known as her who had the 'band' (even tho i had RNY..ppl just dont get it do they?? that theres more than one method of WLS!) so for those reasons i told them i was having hiatus hernia repair and part of my bowel removed..so not a total lie was it??? lol

good luck
x

I've always taken time off for appointments from my holiday entitlement where possible, not because I feel oblidged to, but because I'm quite private and don't want to deal with all the questions.
I'm taking 5 days self certified sickness with my op, then a weeks holiday.
They think I'm going into hospital for something to do with my arthritis, that way, when I'm eating healthily and losing weight, I'll just say it was recommended to help my condition. It's no one's business at work really, but in our office, you can't trust anyone to keep anything quiet, so I'd rather they not know.

I've told enough of people I want to know, so I don't get the "Have you lost weight recently, or what diet are you on and continually have to explain it constantly. So those I have told will have spread it around so most will know by now.
Sadly one of my classes overheard a part of a conversation and is now making comments about bands and how his step-mum has had one, he's got the wrong end of the stick as I am having a bypass, but I am not telling them that.
I just hope they don't tease my youngest in the same year as them and wind him up he doesn't need that greif as well as worrying about me when my op comes round,

i initially told my manager then informed my colleagues one by one. We're only a group of 8 so it wasn't too bad. Everyone has been really supportive and is wishing me all the best for the 30th june x

Back