• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

It's Official...

Wobbletogo

Likes to read
Booked for the wrap in Czech on 24th August with dr Hruby, time to stress over all the preparation. Leave from work sorted, childcare sorted, tickets booked..eeeeekk!

Went to my GP to let him know I had booked it all, he knew I was looking into it. To say he was a bit chilly about it is an understatement. Silly me, I thought he would be pleased I was taking action to improve my health, particularly as he's been frustrated about the NHS not coming through for me with my ME/CFS or WLS. Oh well, at least he said he would still treat me if I have any problems after surgery, which is good.

Now my main concern is the pre-op diet but I will post separately in the thread about that.

Anyone else heading to Prague at that time?

Hi Wobbletogo,

Good luck with everything. Keep us all informed. I'm going out on the 3rd September to have a Sleeve too with Dr Hruby.

Thanks Onesweet, are you going alone or taking a friend?

Wobbletogo said:
Thanks Onesweet, are you going alone or taking a friend?

I'm going solo!!! Bit scary but I'm sure I will be alright. I'll have my iPad/IPhone so can face time those who know. Are you going with someone?

I'm going alone too, to be honest prefer it that way, don't like being around lots of people at the best of times, certainly not whilst I'm puking and in pain lol

Violet you can email him direct [email protected] but remember he's a busy surgeon and might take a while to reply.

am so excited for you both. Sooooo wish it was me. But guess you'll be able to give me all the info. And just think how much nicer you'll both be looking by Christmas!

Hi Bev, I've just replied to yesterday's, not had any others

Went to my GP to let him know I had booked it all, he knew I was looking into it. To say he was a bit chilly about it is an understatement.

My GP was very supportive when I told her. She was a little surprised by the whole story, simply because I'm probably the first person who's come to her with some something similar (especially the part about going to the CZR!). I was sure she would try to talk me out of it, but quite the opposite, and her reaction made me feel good. BTW, I asked her for a blood analysis and a gastroscopy and she didn't hesitate to approve the tests.

I went back to my GP surgery this week and asked for blood tests, as my GP is away they asked another GP to do the form and he's done a complete list so really pleased. I was surprised as my own GP's reaction, as he's always so supportive, maybe he had sommething else on his mind the day I saw him.

I went back to my GP surgery this week and asked for blood tests, as my GP is away they asked another GP to do the form and he's done a complete list so really pleased. I was surprised as my own GP's reaction, as he's always so supportive, maybe he had sommething else on his mind the day I saw him.
I havent had any blood tests done but will be having a gastroscopy on Monday 6th August one week before my op in Prague - thinking of asking Dr Hruby if that one will do if results ok but do not know if UK hospital will hand them to me. I am very lucky with my GP as she is fine with it and my Orthopaedic Surgeon thinks it is a brilliant idea

Hi Angee, is there a specific reason for the gastroscopy before you go? do you have any specific condition that suggested you should do it?

Hi Angee, is there a specific reason for the gastroscopy before you go? do you have any specific condition that suggested you should do it?
Yes I went to Prague in February with BBC but was unable to have the operation because they found I had inflamation and stomach ulcers. My GP arranged for me to have a gastroscopy then but the waiting list has been very long. In March I had a knee replacement operation so had to wait 4 months before I could be operated on again. I could have gone back to Prague with BBC but there was some speculation on here regarding stomach sizes so I opted for Dr Hruby. My GP says that in all probability the treatment I have had will have cured the ulcers but I am having the gastroscopy anyhow. The knee op was much bigger than I had anticipated and I do still feel quite shaken by it but the orthopaedic surgeon thinks the plication idea is brilliant and should help my recovery as well as give a better guarantee to my new knee

Gastroscopy and blood tests

In fact, it was because of one of angee's posts (where she told her story of having to go back home without the surgery) that I thought to ask the Dr. if I should try to obtain any tests back home prior to flying. He said that unless I've had gastroenteritis problems in the past, then it would be unlikely (and unlucky) to find anything that would stop the surgery once in Turnov. If I did have such problems, then to be 100% certain prior to flying I would have to have a gastroscopy. The blood tests could ensure proper blood coagulation (necessary for any surgery, not just WLS).

I went ahead and asked my GP for both tests, but in retrospect I realize it wasn't necessary, at all.

Regarding the gastroscopy, I'm happy to say that the procedure was very quick, because it certainly was unpleasant! They didn't find any ulcers or anything else worrisome. They did find, by taking a swab sample from my lower stomach, a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. Apparently, 80% of the population has this bacteria, and it is not a complication for the surgery. Nevertheless, both Dr. H and my GP recommended erradicating it with antibiotics for 7 days. Note that it is not necessary to have a gastroscopy to test for this bacteria, a simple breath test will detect it.

BTW, before booking at Turnov, I had been exploring having the surgery in Lyon. The clinic I was in contact with asked me to request blood tests and gastroscopy from my GP.

I noticed that Cosmestic Bliss request blood tests be done in the UK prior to going out, which is part of the reason I asked my GP for tests, but also I have a consistently high temperature so I get my GP to check my ESR regularly as I can't use my temperature as a guage for infection.

Nothing was said about a gastroscopy. I don't have any symptoms, I have GERD which I take Omeprazole for and Dr H knows about that so hopefully that means it's not a problem. I did do a medical questionnaire for Dr Cierny and he cleared me for surgery based on that. It's too late now for me to get a gastroscopy anyway so just have to keep my fingers crossed :) Have to say I'm not looking forward to the gastroscopy or the sickness afterwards. Dr H said there is no way of confirming the stomach size after a wrap, so they wrap it as tight as they can get it, hence the greater chance of sickness. My surgeon friend said the sickness is because of the inner layers of the stomach touching each other, but once the swelling goes down and they move away from each other the nausea should stop, he also said you most likely will experience some chest pain for a while after but not to worry about it.

Sounds like you've had a busy year Angee, glad you managed to fit in a holiday as well, you probably needed it. Good luck next week, keep us updated.

hi gals wish you loads of luck with your ops, I'm off end of or early next year for a gastric sleeve with dr h. wish you all the luck and a speedy recovery. keep us all posted wish it was me. Do you think it's worth asking if my doc would do blood tests or gastroscopy?

I noticed that Cosmestic Bliss request blood tests be done in the UK prior to going out, which is part of the reason I asked my GP for tests, but also I have a consistently high temperature so I get my GP to check my ESR regularly as I can't use my temperature as a guage for infection.

Nothing was said about a gastroscopy. I don't have any symptoms, I have GERD which I take Omeprazole for and Dr H knows about that so hopefully that means it's not a problem. I did do a medical questionnaire for Dr Cierny and he cleared me for surgery based on that. It's too late now for me to get a gastroscopy anyway so just have to keep my fingers crossed :) Have to say I'm not looking forward to the gastroscopy or the sickness afterwards. Dr H said there is no way of confirming the stomach size after a wrap, so they wrap it as tight as they can get it, hence the greater chance of sickness. My surgeon friend said the sickness is because of the inner layers of the stomach touching each other, but once the swelling goes down and they move away from each other the nausea should stop, he also said you most likely will experience some chest pain for a while after but not to worry about it.

Sounds like you've had a busy year Angee, glad you managed to fit in a holiday as well, you probably needed it. Good luck next week, keep us updated.
My gastroscopy is a follow up of the ulcers and in my case has just fallen in line before my flight to Prague. My GP says the treatment I had has most likely cleared them so I would have gone anyhow. I have waited since 5th March for this gastroscopy so I may as well have it done, as better than having another costly letdown however small the risk. Dr Hruby also told me that he cannot confirm the stomach size so I do not know what happened with that other lady at BBC, although I do feel for her having used up so much money for nothing. In the meantime Dr Hruby is so reasonable in price I will be paying less overall even with my losses in February so all for the best. I will keep you all informed

In fact, it was because of one of angee's posts (where she told her story of having to go back home without the surgery) that I thought to ask the Dr. if I should try to obtain any tests back home prior to flying. He said that unless I've had gastroenteritis problems in the past, then it would be unlikely (and unlucky) to find anything that would stop the surgery once in Turnov. If I did have such problems, then to be 100% certain prior to flying I would have to have a gastroscopy. The blood tests could ensure proper blood coagulation (necessary for any surgery, not just WLS).

I went ahead and asked my GP for both tests, but in retrospect I realize it wasn't necessary, at all.

Regarding the gastroscopy, I'm happy to say that the procedure was very quick, because it certainly was unpleasant! They didn't find any ulcers or anything else worrisome. They did find, by taking a swab sample from my lower stomach, a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori. Apparently, 80% of the population has this bacteria, and it is not a complication for the surgery. Nevertheless, both Dr. H and my GP recommended erradicating it with antibiotics for 7 days. Note that it is not necessary to have a gastroscopy to test for this bacteria, a simple breath test will detect it.

BTW, before booking at Turnov, I had been exploring having the surgery in Lyon. The clinic I was in contact with asked me to request blood tests and gastroscopy from my GP.
My gastroscopy results are good - no more ulcers or inflamation. I do have Hiatus Hernia but dr Hruby says that should be okay. I believe that the breath test for H pylori is not as efficient as the gastroscopy and my endoscopy is ok but I am still glad I had it done this time as it could so easily have gone the other way

The doctor here in Newport has given me a complete report with pictures I was wondering if that would mean I would not need another one in Turnov or would that be wishful thinking

Back