• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Plication (wrap) booked....in UK!

sararob23

Hi, I'm quite new here, but have been absorbing everyone's info for a while now!:)

I have had my consultation today with Prof. Basil Ammori for the gastric plication. I had read good things about the wrap from the many members of this site that have had the wrap, but I was really scared about going abroad for it.

I had almost booked with Cosmetic Bliss, but last week I noticed a web site which is for Prof. Ammori. He works out of Spire Manchester and he conducts the Plication (this is what he lists the op as on his web site).

Within a week I have had my consultation and have booked the op.

I have PCOS and was originally recommended the bypass, but my preference was to have a less invasive surgery and a lot of my decision came down to cost.

My main concern is how well I will loose weight with this procedure due to my PCOS as Prof Ammori has no data on this as the procedure is so new!:confused:

claire-anna

sararob23 said:
Hi, I'm quite new here, but have been absorbing everyone's info for a while now!:)

I have had my consultation today with Prof. Basil Ammori for the gastric plication. I had read good things about the wrap from the many members of this site that have had the wrap, but I was really scared about going abroad for it.

I had almost booked with Cosmetic Bliss, but last week I noticed a web site which is for Prof. Ammori. He works out of Spire Manchester and he conducts the Plication (this is what he lists the op as on his web site).

I have PCOS and was originally recommended the bypass, but my preference was to have a less invasive surgery and a lot of my decision came down to cost.

My main concern is how well I will loose weight with this procedure due to my PCOS as Prof Ammori has no data on this as the procedure is so new!:confused:

Oooh good luck.. Can I be cheeky and ask out of interest is it much more £ in the uk than abroad? I had mine done 6 weeks ago and very happy x

Jcoco

I had my surgery abroad but only because it was similiar to the NHS system. Where I was referred through my gp. Met the consultant at the hospital and had to wait 10 months. I was originally going to have the plication as I had read so many good reveiws in the local newspaper here in Qatar ( they had done quite a few patients last year and its a relatively new procedure).
However on the operating table the surgeon asked would I prefer the sleeve, to which I replied whichever will give me the best weight loss- so sleeve it was. Best decision I've ever made (ps I said to my self if this doesnt work its a lesser surgery to turn me into bypass).
Good luck as I hadnt realised they did the plication in the uk, but I have read good things about it. ;)

sararob23

It is quite a bit more expensive in the UK,:sigh: as everything is!

I have been quoted £7500, which sits in between a band and a sleeve.

I'm OK with paying the extra for the peace of mind of having it done in this country....daft I know as some of the European companies have brill reviews, I'm just a home bird and couldn't face being that far away on my own! :(

Beyonce

hey Sara x x i am so happy you have brought this subject up x x x i am a sufferer of PCOS have been since i was 13 starting my periods x im now 35 and have suffered with this most of my life x x i take metformin to try control it but nothing works in my eyes and since having my first child 15 months ago i just cant loose the weight x x i have lost 4 babys along the way :'( including identical twin boys at 20 weeks x x so i just comfort ate for the majority of the time x x but now as a single mother x i just dont have the time to do anything for myself x and would love to be back to the old happy me x x i wish i new the best surgery with the best results as im still confused as to what surgery to go for x x x thanks x x Mel x x

terri.c

It is quite a bit more expensive in the UK,:sigh: as everything is!

I have been quoted £7500, which sits in between a band and a sleeve.

I'm OK with paying the extra for the peace of mind of having it done in this country....daft I know as some of the European companies have brill reviews, I'm just a home bird and couldn't face being that far away on my own! :(
thats a lot of money! but you have to be comfortable and happy with your choice, i had mine done at Prague 7 via BBC Direct, it was done on 11th june hence 3 weeks on Monday and i am happy with my weight loss of 18 pound.
best thing i ever did, it cost £3500.
good luck hun you wont regret it x

Beyonce

hi Claire- Anna x x did you have the gastric plication?? x x where did you have your surgery done, was it abroard?? x x x i can totally see what the lady is saying who only paid £3,500 x x its seems such a big difference for the same surgery x x but im like you im nervous as you hear so many things that go wrong abroard it makes me think twice to have it done away from home ?!?!?!?! i have to admit x x x great info thou girls x x plllzzz keep it coming x x x

claire-anna

Beyonce said:
hi Claire- Anna x x did you have the gastric plication?? x x where did you have your surgery done, was it abroard?? x x x i can totally see what the lady is saying who only paid £3,500 x x its seems such a big difference for the same surgery x x but im like you im nervous as you hear so many things that go wrong abroard it makes me think twice to have it done away from home ?!?!?!?! i have to admit x x x great info thou girls x x plllzzz keep it coming x x x

Hey.... Yeah I had the wrap end of may.. I went to czech with cosmetic bliss, I paid slightly more than lady above, but I went for piece of mind that I could not find 1 bad review about the company.. I was very well looked after and have lost 30 lbs so far in just under 6 weeks xx

Beyonce

hi Claire- Anne x x thank u so much for your reply x x the more i hear your story i am definitely converting me :-D x x x did you go over alone?? was you in hospital for 4 days ?? x x x i have jist looked up Cosmetic Bliss and the package sounds very up my street x x thanks for chatting to me x x how old are you Claire if you dont mind me asking ?? Mel x x x x x

sararob23

I do understand what you mean! Sometimes I think I'm mad for paying so much extra, but for me, I had a financial maximum I could go to (thanks to a loan and fabulous in-laws) I had planned for a band in this country and it was only after I became nervous about the added problems of fills etc. I started to look for other options.
At first I only found European hospitals offering the wrap and even the amazing cost couldn't make me decide to go ahead as my nervousness of being away from my hubby and not knowing what would happen if something went wrong scared me too much. :( I decided then If I found someone in the UK doing this operation and I could find it within my budget, I would go for it. Then I found Prof. Ammori and here I am!!! :)

I must say that since I have booked I have found information regarding this procedure on American sites, one of which says this operation is suited to those with a lower BMI under 35???? There is much evidence disproving this as so many people on here have had brill weight losses with the wrap, but it has made me question whether it is right for me with a BMI of 46. I think I will send an email to Prof. Ammori to put my mind at rest!:confused:

claire-anna

Beyonce said:
hi Claire- Anne x x thank u so much for your reply x x the more i hear your story i am definitely converting me :-D x x x did you go over alone?? was you in hospital for 4 days ?? x x x i have jist looked up Cosmetic Bliss and the package sounds very up my street x x thanks for chatting to me x x how old are you Claire if you dont mind me asking ?? Mel x x x x x

That's ok Hun.. I was in your situation b4 so I know how confusing and daunting the process is.. You have to go for piece of mind.. It's your body and you need to feel 100% confident with the provider you use.. For me I had a few in mind, but I always came back to cosmetic bliss. I went Alone but met up with a lovely lady at stansted and stayed over night. There was 4 of us in all and another 3 out the next day.. We all became friend before hand so it didn't feel like I was meeting strangers.. :) you stay in a hotel the first night and the other days in hospital.. The hospital is basic, but extremely clean and no hospital smell ( I hate the NHS smell lol ) the nurses are also amazing, speak basic English, but they will have a laugh with you and very tentative. I felt very well looked after. It was uncomfortable after the op, it's not all roses and I was emotional wreck at times. But I knew I was well looked after..I'm a very young 33 mel :).. Good luck xx

Last edited by a moderator:

claire-anna

sararob23 said:
I must say that since I have booked I have found information regarding this procedure on American sites, one of which says this operation is suited to those with a lower BMI under 35???? There is much evidence disproving this as so many people on here have had brill weight losses with the wrap, but it has made me question whether it is right for me with a BMI of 46. I think I will send an email to Prof. Ammori to put my mind at rest!:confused:

My decision for the wrap was that I had a lower BMi... I was 37ish. I thought anything else was a little drastic as I only needed 6 stone off for good... But I know of people that have lost over 11 stone with the wrap, but like any Wls you will only get out what put in... .

I'm sure your surgeon will put your mind at rest.. :) x

Beyonce

Claire x x i have only just realised you had left this post for me x x x thank u ever so much x x you have been ever so helpful x x x it really really does give you peace of mind with people like you who are willing to leave feed back about there experience x x x thank you sweetheart i look forward to you following my journey :-D x x x x

wendy1963

I think you will get all kinds of advice my surgeon said bypass would be best for me I have pcos . I have had seven pregnancies 2 boys one 18 one 8, 4 miscarriages and 1 ectopic I wish weight loss surgery had been an option when all this was going on.

Gillykit

Hi just spotted your thread. I'm having the gastric plication too, on the same day with the lovely Prof Ammori! Good luck :) Might see you there!

sararob23

Ooooh it's nice to know someone else is going to be there. :) Yes hope to see you there!
Im very excited about the op but nervous about being at the hospital alone.:sigh:

KT73

Hi Ladies,

I had a plication with Professor Ammori 8wks ago….he is fantastic….very caring…I have lost 2st 9lbs since my op…another approx 2st to go and I'll be a very happy bunny.. :)

sararob23

Hi Ladies,

I had a plication with Professor Ammori 8wks ago….he is fantastic….very caring…I have lost 2st 9lbs since my op…another approx 2st to go and I'll be a very happy bunny.. :)

That's great! I hope I'm as successful as you!
How quickly were you discharged? My letter says I go in Friday morning and can leave Sunday morning, but at my pre op a 24 hour stay was mentioned! I'm hoping there is a chance I can leave earlier as I never sleep away from home!