• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Plication (wrap) booked....in UK!

I don't have PCOS but with a BMI of verging on 50 when I started this journey Prof advised me to have a bypass too. It was only because of SaraRob's post that I looked into the plication as it wasn't offered to me at my first consultation, and I was ready to cancel my surgery as I felt the bypass was just too drastic and had huge concerns about malabsorption. I went back to talk to the team and the concerns we discussed were that the surgery is still officially classed as experimental under NICE guidelines so there is minimal data, and with such a high BMI the data that they did have available seemed to suggest the surgery was not as effective for greatest weight loss as the bypass but had proved more effective for those with a BMI of less than 40. What Kath did say however was that the results they have had so far with Prof are very similar to the sleeve and there was a feeling in the bariatric world that the plication would eventually replace banding and possibly the sleeve. I wasn't concerned about it being a new procedure as I quizzed Prof on how he carried it out - having read all the clinical research studies (yawn!) - and he is a very well respected surgeon so I knew I was in safe hands. To be honest I wasn't too concerned about not achieving the huge weight losses that the bypass would give me as I don't have any other medical issues and was happy with the estimated 60% EWL and am determined lifestyle changes and exercise will help me lose this and even more. I have been very happy with my decision and just over 5 weeks out have lost a stone and a half plus half a stone on the pre-op and have never felt ill, just a bit tired, but it is a very personal journey, it is a huge financial investment, and you have to do what is best for you. xXx

Gillykit said:
I don't have PCOS but with a BMI of verging on 50 when I started this journey Prof advised me to have a bypass too. It was only because of SaraRob's post that I looked into the plication as it wasn't offered to me at my first consultation, and I was ready to cancel my surgery as I felt the bypass was just too drastic and had huge concerns about malabsorption. I went back to talk to the team and the concerns we discussed were that the surgery is still officially classed as experimental under NICE guidelines so there is minimal data, and with such a high BMI the data that they did have available seemed to suggest the surgery was not as effective for greatest weight loss as the bypass but had proved more effective for those with a BMI of less than 40. What Kath did say however was that the results they have had so far with Prof are very similar to the sleeve and there was a feeling in the bariatric world that the plication would eventually replace banding and possibly the sleeve. I wasn't concerned about it being a new procedure as I quizzed Prof on how he carried it out - having read all the clinical research studies (yawn!) - and he is a very well respected surgeon so I knew I was in safe hands. To be honest I wasn't too concerned about not achieving the huge weight losses that the bypass would give me as I don't have any other medical issues and was happy with the estimated 60% EWL and am determined lifestyle changes and exercise will help me lose this and even more. I have been very happy with my decision and just over 5 weeks out have lost a stone and a half plus half a stone on the pre-op and have never felt ill, just a bit tired, but it is a very personal journey, it is a huge financial investment, and you have to do what is best for you. xXx

Thank you, just like for sararob23 n others (can't remember all user id's!), I have been following ur posts. Glad ur doing so well! I too would be happy even if I was still in the overweight category. Let's face it, size 14 is not bad ( the size I previously managed to get down to). Am eager to stop the constant yoyo as with my PCOS, it always comes bk and more. Let's keep in touch :)

Sent from my Samsung galaxy note

dejnablue said:
Thank you, just like for sararob23 n others (can't remember all user id's!), I have been following ur posts. Glad ur doing so well! I too would be happy even if I was still in the overweight category. Let's face it, size 14 is not bad ( the size I previously managed to get down to). Am eager to stop the constant yoyo as with my PCOS, it always comes bk and more. Let's keep in touch :)

Yes I'll try and add you as a friend and my FitnessPal username is rainegill x

Wow....I didn't realise my threads had meant so much and had help people choose the plication and prof. Ammori.
Think I'll ask him for commission when I go for my check up next week! Haha

sararob23 said:
Wow....I didn't realise my threads had meant so much and had help people choose the plication and prof. Ammori.
Think I'll ask him for commission when I go for my check up next week! Haha

You probably should! I do mean it, I had never heard of the plication before you let alone pf Ammori...was having to consider sleeve in Czech republic but didn't want to travel so far away...cheaper maybe but like you i'd rather pay more and know Hubby is close by...All your posts have proved invaluable and in case you use fitness pal, i'd love to have you as a friend...my id is frenchsmurfett. Hope u doing well n keep posting ;-)

dejnablue said:
You probably should! I do mean it, I had never heard of the plication before you let alone pf Ammori...was having to consider sleeve in Czech republic but didn't want to travel so far away...cheaper maybe but like you i'd rather pay more and know Hubby is close by...All your posts have proved invaluable and in case you use fitness pal, i'd love to have you as a friend...my id is frenchsmurfett. Hope u doing well n keep posting ;-)

Thanks! Tried to add you as a friends, but not sure if it worked. If not mine is the same user name as on here.

Hi! I'm having wrap done in Prague in December. Just wanted to ask some questions if that's ok?? Is it true you can't wear a bra after the op? What about non underwired ones??? And for how long? Also how long has it taken for your incisions to heal? How long were you on liquid diet before you moved to mashed up food? Is it true you are told to wear cotton knickers for the op?? So many questions!!! There's not many wrappers on here!! Lol thanks. Julia.

julesburns said:
Hi! I'm having wrap done in Prague in December. Just wanted to ask some questions if that's ok?? Is it true you can't wear a bra after the op? What about non underwired ones??? And for how long? Also how long has it taken for your incisions to heal? How long were you on liquid diet before you moved to mashed up food? Is it true you are told to wear cotton knickers for the op?? So many questions!!! There's not many wrappers on here!! Lol thanks. Julia.

Hi Julia I can't speak for others but I wore an underwired bra after my op ok - it didn't rub on my incisions at all. My incisions were pretty much closed after a week and I took the steri-strips off as advised by my provider. I'm nearly 6 weeks post op and they have healed really well and two of them you can hardly see - but I can still feel the internal stitches on one of the incisions (I think they're stitches!) I was given a pair of sexy paper knickers to wear but they were XXXL and would have fit my whole family in so I just wore my own cotton ones. Nobody complained but again all providers may be different. I was on liquid for two weeks, purée for two weeks and am now enjoying the soft food stage. Hope that helps x

Hi. Thanks so much!! I am having mine done abroad and the thought of getting on a plane bra less was really worrying me!!! Lol. Thanks for all the info!!!! Julia x

Hi Jules,
I'm pretty much the same as Gilly. I could have wore a bra following the op, but it was uncomfortable sometimes because of the wind pains, so I generally wore vests with support.
My incisions took a lot longer than Gillys, 3 healed within a week, but I had a reaction to the sticky stuff on the dressings. One incision became infected so I was treated by my GP for it. All fine now though, and it wasn't painful.
I have had op's before so knew the protocol.....I have suffered the paper knickers before so chose to take my own cotton ones. At my hospital they weren't really too bothered with the knicker situation, but I have read other threads where their surgeons wanted them to wear the paper ones!
I was on liquid for 2 weeks, the first week I could barely manage water or nas squash but once my stomach had settled I was quickly able to manage much thicker liquids like thicker soups etc.

Hi, I'm quite new here, but have been absorbing everyone's info for a while now!:)

I have had my consultation today with Prof. Basil Ammori for the gastric plication. I had read good things about the wrap from the many members of this site that have had the wrap, but I was really scared about going abroad for it.

I had almost booked with Cosmetic Bliss, but last week I noticed a web site which is for Prof. Ammori. He works out of Spire Manchester and he conducts the Plication (this is what he lists the op as on his web site).

Within a week I have had my consultation and have booked the op.

I have PCOS and was originally recommended the bypass, but my preference was to have a less invasive surgery and a lot of my decision came down to cost.

My main concern is how well I will loose weight with this procedure due to my PCOS as Prof Ammori has no data on this as the procedure is so new!:confused:
Hi Sara, I too have just booked a wrap.Like you I chose it because I believe its less invasive. People on here have had amazing weight loss with it. I am going to BBC Direct in Prague in 6 weeks. I hope that even with PCOS you have great success because after all........were worth it!!

Hi Tracy. I looked at bbc and spoke with nick but he made me feel like I was a used car!! Lol. He was really pushy too and I felt uncomfortable dealing with him. I am glad you had a better experience with him. :) I hope all goes well for you. Mine is in 9 weeks so you will be well on the losers bench by then!!! Goodluck Hun!!! Julia

Hi Sarah!! Thanks so much for your advice. I will take some of those comfy un wired bras with me! I take a tablet each day for a medical condition and I've been told I need to crush it up to take. Not looking forward to liquid Christmas dinner much but I am imagining myself in a bikini next summer to make me feel better lol!! I'm in hospital for 5 days in Prague so will have plenty of time to recover hopefully before I get home. :) thanks again. Julia

Not sure about the other ladies but I WOULD LOVE ...All of you post-op to give me some of your fav foods from all stages...might be me but found myself spending ages looming at yogurts today to find low fat/low carb and didn't even manage that?!
I def need ur input girls Coz let's face it! If I can't even find food for pre-op diet, I stand no chance post op?!
Thanks girls

Not sure about the other ladies but I WOULD LOVE ...All of you post-op to give me some of your fav foods from all stages...might be me but found myself spending ages looming at yogurts today to find low fat/low carb and didn't even manage that?!
I def need ur input girls Coz let's face it! If I can't even find food for pre-op diet, I stand no chance post op?!
Thanks girls

Don't worry too much about what you eat in the first few weeks. My dietition was more interested in getting something in rather than it being 100% fat free etc.
I was advised things like l/f custard were good for all early stages. I thinned it with milk for the liquid stage and had it thicker for the puree and soft stage. At first I would only have a couple of tea spoons!
I also found watered down apple juice a God send for the liquid stage.....don't have this unless you water it down as it'll be too acidic for your stomach.

I struggled with puree, I tried pureeing most things but could not find anything I enjoyed much. I had some thick soups, homemade brocolli and stilton was may fave! I think things that are normally a sort puree consistancy are better at this stage rather than pureeing chicken etc. I did try crispbreads with l/f philly on because these mush to a puree consistancy in the mouth and it's great to crunch on something. I was told by my dietition as long as it is the right consistancy going down it is OK.

Soft stage was good, I found I could eat boiled chicken, rice, shepherds pie and fish pie etc.

I am on solids now, but not straying too far from the soft stage tbh, struggling with pasta which I thought I would be OK with, but thats not a bad thing as I would always eat too much!

Thanks Sararob23! You have given me some great ideas..wanna be prepared and have different ideas of food so I don't end up Stuck with same food day in and day out?!
Did you eat yogurts if so which ones? Love my activia but they've got fruit bits in so no good for liquid stage?!
How many weeks post op are you again? (if don't mind me asking?)
Hope u well ;-)

I'm 6 weeks post op.
on the liquid stage I had the small fromage frais yoghurt. I had to mix a bit of milk in with them to make them runny. I went on to larger l/f ones on puree stage.
To be honest I barely had anything in the first week.....I really couldn't contemplate it. I had soups, yoghurts, and different drinks gallor but didn't want any of them. I just had to have what I fancied or I wouldn't have got anything in. I would say I was about 10 days post op before I started trying to structured my meals. I would have a milky coffee for breakfast, a very small amount of thin soup or yoghurt for lunch, soup or l/f custard for tea. I did manage ice lollies very well so would have one or 2 a day. I found the fruit shoot calypso's very good as they had a squishy texture, they weren't l/f but were quite good and very tasty.

Just an update....officially 4st down now....only 11lbs to goal weight....then I'll reassess and see if to set another....I feel fab :)

XXX

Back