• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Plication (wrap) booked....in UK!

Hi girls!
Just joined...got my consultation booked with pf Ammori to have gastric wrap or plication as its called. I have really enjoyed reading all ur posts mainly the tips on soft foods. If any of you are still on here, can you tell me what to expect when i wake from surgery??
Thanks and hope u all doing well

dejnablue said:
Hi girls!
Just joined...got my consultation booked with pf Ammori to have gastric wrap or plication as its called. I have really enjoyed reading all ur posts mainly the tips on soft foods. If any of you are still on here, can you tell me what to expect when i wake from surgery??
Thanks and hope u all doing well

Hi. And good luck with the op.
I woke in recovery, shivering so badly and with a bit of a sore throat and a funny slightly pain feeling in my chest. I was barely coherent and the anesthetist said I probably had wind pain but gave me extra pain killers and an amazing hot air heated blanket. I didn't want them to take it off me when in was time to go to my room.
For the first few hours I mainly slept, woke occasionally when having obscure done and was mostly incoherent for a lot of the time.
Apart from a slightly uncomfortableness in my tummy the only pain I really had was a sore throat from the tube I had for my op. The wind pain didn't really come until the next day.

I was left for quite a few hours once the nurses changed over and I think the night nurse thought I had been settled for the night, but I still had the massage cuffs on my feet so was pretty much chained to the bed! Haha! I called them in because I had become very warm and wanted to get comfortable. They soon settled me but it became their mission. To make me wee! It was harder thanks you'd think!
They were all lovely though and I'd suggested if you need them call them they really don't want you to anything yourself until they are sure you're steady on your feet.

I took a very long time to come round from the op and was in recovery for an hour and a half - I was having a lovely sleep! I was just very groggy when I got back to my room. Like Sara I had a very sore throat from the tube which lasted a couple of days. The leg massagers were lovely -but did chain you to the bed - and I just wanted to get up, have a wee and change into my own nightie a few hours after I got back - and then be left alone to go to sleep! The nursing staff were great and once they'd got me out of bed for a wee (on a commode to measure urine output) and were happy, they just left me alone except for regular obs. Once they'd taken off the leg massagers the next morning, I managed a shower before Prof came to check on progress, and then it was just a long wait to speak to Kath the Bariatric nurse and get my meds and discharge papers. They do get you to have some soup before they discharge you but as long as you've been up walking about, and have drunk enough and had a wee you're good to go! My advice would be sip lots of water or peppermint tea after your op to flush everything through, and get up and walk around as soon as you can. I didn't really suffer from wind pain thankfully, but I know everyone is different. Good luck and let us know how you get on! x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh and get the anaesthetist to give you a shot of IV morphine before they bring you round to help with the pain! I did ask, and don't know if she did, but I didn't have any real pain except my throat until the next day x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

As with all surgery there are potential complications and unfortunately I experienced some after my surgery and had to return to theatre a couple of times. However I have previously worked as an anaesthetic practitioner for 10yrs and it happens....usually to those who work in the profession...lol.....just one of those things. more importantly that is why we need to be sure surgery is the right thing for us to do.

You are in excellent hands with Prof Ammori....he is a world renound experienced laparoscopic surgeon who cares.

I am very pleased with my plication and ave consistently lost weight...3st 4lb up to now...which is great. Only a handful of people know as I don't think it's anyone else's business really. Three months on no one would guess...I am able to eat most things...only much smaller quantities. You need to remember it s only a tool to aid us and it is possible to cheat this aid....AND anyone who says this is the easy option.....well....you can guess my thoughts on that one....as I'm sure the other ladies on this thread will agree.

Best of luck on your journey...they'll be ups and downs (mainly ups).....but you're in great hands!!!! Keep us posted....... :)

XXX

KT73 said:
You are in excellent hands with Prof Ammori....he is a world renound experienced laparoscopic surgeon who cares.

I am very pleased with my plication and ave consistently lost weight...3st 4lb up to now...which is great. Only a handful of people know as I don't think it's anyone else's business really. Three months on no one would guess...I am able to eat most things...only much smaller quantities. You need to remember it s only a tool to aid us and it is possible to cheat this aid....AND anyone who says this is the easy option.....well....you can guess my thoughts on that one....as I'm sure the other ladies on this thread will agree.

Best of luck on your journey...they'll be ups and downs (mainly ups).....but you're in great hands!!!! Keep us posted....... :)

XXX

I agree with you there KT - definitely very safe hands. How long ago did you have your plication? I'm just over 4 weeks and my weight loss has stalled for the last 2 weeks but I'm sure it will start moving soon (fingers crossed) xx

KT73 said:
As with all surgery there are potential complications and unfortunately I experienced some after my surgery and had to return to theatre a couple of times. However I have previously worked as an anaesthetic practitioner for 10yrs and it happens....usually to those who work in the profession...lol.....just one of those things. more importantly that is why we need to be sure surgery is the right thing for us to do.

XXX

Well said KT73!
Most certainly a tool! And definitely not easy! But so worthwhile! :)

I had my surgery at the end of June. Gillykit....don't be too concerned about weight loss 'stalls'....they happen to most post op....I would suggest its just your body adapting after surgery...I have had a couple...about 5wks in was the first.....your weight loss will start again.....as long as you're doing the right things i.e not liquidizing mars bars...lol....

It appears to be that most people have all of a sudden began to notice my 'huge' weight loss now....I wear a uniform so I guess it's more difficult for people to tell I suspect that you could get two of me in them now may be the give away...hehehe.....

Keep up all the good work ladies...you're doing FAB!!!

XXX

Thanks KT you are doing FAB too, and great weight loss - bet it gives you satisfaction now others are noticing you are shrinking :)

Lol no Mars bars I promise! I think I'm doing everything I've been told - except drinking as much water as I should and am trying really hard with that. I did try pasta today and it went down too easily, and I ate far more than I felt I should have been able to so that is now off the menu - I have a spirali machine that turns veg into spaghetti strands so have got that out and will be doing courgette spaghetti in future! I just don't trust myself with carbs :(

Thanks for the support ladies - and keep a space on the losers bench for me for when I start losing again :) xx

Gillykit said:
Thanks KT you are doing FAB too, and great weight loss - bet it gives you satisfaction now others are noticing you are shrinking :)

Lol no Mars bars I promise! I think I'm doing everything I've been told - except drinking as much water as I should and am trying really hard with that. I did try pasta today and it went down too easily, and I ate far more than I felt I should have been able to so that is now off the menu - I have a spirali machine that turns veg into spaghetti strands so have got that out and will be doing courgette spaghetti in future! I just don't trust myself with carbs :(

Thanks for the support ladies - and keep a space on the losers bench for me for when I start losing again :) xx

I really stuggled with pasta at the weekend.... Not bothered too much because it used to be my go to food, and that did me know good! corgette spaghetti might be the way to go.......except I HATE corgette! Haha

sararob23 said:
I really stuggled with pasta at the weekend.... Not bothered too much because it used to be my go to food, and that did me know good! corgette spaghetti might be the way to go.......except I HATE corgette! Haha

Haha it does other veggies too! I'm definitely avoiding pasta - mashed potato was my go to food - with lots of cheese on the top. Avoiding that one too now I'm off the purée stage! x

We all have our 'pit fall' food...mine was crisps....like I said....I can eat most things...only smaller portions....weird as I have always had a good appetite. It's all about the healthy options really....not so sure about the courgette Gillykit...but perhaps carrot may be more my thing....

Keep me posted ladies on your continuing success...it's good to have others to chat too...particularly those who have had the same procedure in the UK?.. :)

XXX

..like I said....I can eat most things...only smaller portions....

XXX

I am so glad you said this as I am finding I can eat anything and was wondering if something was wrong. I have restriction in amounts but not in variety which is great. I don't have any hunger and very few cravings so far, it seems to be too easy am waiting for the bubble to burst.

Wobbletogo said:
I am so glad you said this as I am finding I can eat anything and was wondering if something was wrong. I have restriction in amounts but not in variety which is great. I don't have any hunger and very few cravings so far, it seems to be too easy am waiting for the bubble to burst.

It's funny how you've just said that. I have just come on to say how I've just managed a slice of toast with pate. It was lovely. I have been craving food today, all day, I haven't been hungry, but ive been feeling hungry if that makes sense! And im sure its variety I have been needing.
Jennie mentioned that I might manage toast rather than bread and its worked!
I hope this feeling doesnt last long though, I'm still only managing small portions, but don't want to eat constantly! :-(

Thank you so much for All your inputs. Have just met with pf Ammori today who advised me to have bypass due to my PCOS but I think it's a not drastic and close to 10k!
My GP did write to the PCT but not a chance?!
Gotta work out now when I can save up enough to have it done :-(
Might post another thread bit how r those of you doing hunger wise with the plication (wrap)? Dr Ammori does not have any data n that's the main thing I want to get the better of! My constant hunger....
Thank you girls...ur comments r so valuable to me :)

dejnablue said:
Thank you so much for All your inputs. Have just met with pf Ammori today who advised me to have bypass due to my PCOS but I think it's a not drastic and close to 10k!
My GP did write to the PCT but not a chance?!
Gotta work out now when I can save up enough to have it done :-(
Might post another thread bit how r those of you doing hunger wise with the plication (wrap)? Dr Ammori does not have any data n that's the main thing I want to get the better of! My constant hunger....
Thank you girls...ur comments r so valuable to me :)

Hiya. When I met with prof he said the same to me. Its based on the research he's been able to carry out and as the wrap is so new he doesn't have the facts to back up whether it will work for pcos.
I had researched before going and have seen that mostly american research shows that it is a more successful op than a band for pcos. Comparable with a sleeve.
I told prof that I found the bypass drastic given my age health and weight. He said that it was my choice, agreed with my reaaons and said that the op would help, but as he had no comparable research that he had gathered himself he couldn't guarentee that my pcos would clear.
I was happy enough with this as we are often told with pcos, and weight loss helps with symptoms.
Fyi. I'm 32, was 22.7 stone, bmi 46 with pcos, mild sleep apnoea and a multitude of structural issues.
Ive already lost 2 1/2 stone and the sleep apnoea has gone!

sararob23 said:
Hiya. When I met with prof he said the same to me. Its based on the research he's been able to carry out and as the wrap is so new he doesn't have the facts to back up whether it will work for pcos.
I had researched before going and have seen that mostly american research shows that it is a more successful op than a band for pcos. Comparable with a sleeve.
I told prof that I found the bypass drastic given my age health and weight. He said that it was my choice, agreed with my reaaons and said that the op would help, but as he had no comparable research that he had gathered himself he couldn't guarentee that my pcos would clear.
I was happy enough with this as we are often told with pcos, and weight loss helps with symptoms.
Fyi. I'm 32, was 22.7 stone, bmi 46 with pcos, mild sleep apnoea and a multitude of structural issues.
Ive already lost 2 1/2 stone and the sleep apnoea has gone!

Hi sararob23,

I have read most if not all of ur posts since our stories are similar with the PCOS, scared of going abroad and finding Pf Ammori...thank you SO much as if it wasn't for your post, I would still be searching for him (plication in UK).
I am 37 with BMI 39...don't do imperial but yesterday, pf Ammori's nurse measured me at 1.63 metres and 103.8 kg (gotta find out how much that is on ST and lbs).
I need to wait a little longer to save so thinking of 7th Dec but worries Ought feel really rough for xmas? Don't wanna spoil it for kids? Am glad it's working so well for you and already improving ur health...keep posting. Love to hear from you :)

Dejneblue,

I am 39 and originally had a BMI of 36.5 (15st 10lbs) prior to surgery….I have also had mild PCOS since around the age of 22 and since my weight has crept up I've had painful knees/hips/back….
I won't lie I do still have hunger pangs…but I can cope with them well as I know that small quantities fill me! Since surgery at the end of June I have now lost 3st 6lbs and feel fantastic. You have to choose the procedure that you think is going to work best for you…in conjunction with advice from Professor Ammori.

103.8kg equates to 16st 2.6lbs (2.2lbs=1kg)

Good luck with your decision.

XXX

KT73 said:
Dejneblue,

I am 39 and originally had a BMI of 36.5 (15st 10lbs) prior to surgery....I have also had mild PCOS since around the age of 22 and since my weight has crept up I've had painful knees/hips/back....
I won't lie I do still have hunger pangs...but I can cope with them well as I know that small quantities fill me! Since surgery at the end of June I have now lost 3st 6lbs and feel fantastic. You have to choose the procedure that you think is going to work best for you...in conjunction with advice from Professor Ammori.

103.8kg equates to 16st 2.6lbs (2.2lbs=1kg)

Good luck with your decision.

XXX

Thank you for the convertion! Wow you've done really well...not surprised u feel fantastic....I'd feel so much better with 3 stones off!! Remind me which surgery you had? I have read ur posts too but have been doing so,much reading n researching that I lose track of who had what when??...lol
Well done n all the best to you...let us know if ur PCOS symptoms improve plz? Pf Ammori said study with band for PCOS apparently failed but worked really well for bypass. He also added there hasn't been Amy research done for sleeve or wrap and he'll b looking into doing one...would b great if he chose us for his research, don't you think?

Back