• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ive got a dilemma.....

pixiepiratess

Going From Flab to FAB!
Ive got a dilemma.....
My friend would like to come with me to prague, but she said this morning if i book for March she wouldnt be able to save the money in time, yes the company would be helpful and it would be nice to have a friend with me, but on the other hand i think i would probably also cope if i had to go alone, Now my dilemma .. do i book and go in march get it all done and dusted .. Or wait until april so my friend can come? Shes really worried about me going alone.

It's always nice to have company, don't forget that you will be useless when you wake up, so having someone there will be very helpful. Especially in a different country.
Also, when I had my op, they told me not to carry anything heavy. So purely having someone there to carry your bags would be good.
It's good to have someone to talk to as well.
Good Luck

Ive got a dilemma.....
My friend would like to come with me to prague, but she said this morning if i book for March she wouldnt be able to save the money in time, yes the company would be helpful and it would be nice to have a friend with me, but on the other hand i think i would probably also cope if i had to go alone, Now my dilemma .. do i book and go in march get it all done and dusted .. Or wait until april so my friend can come? Shes really worried about me going alone.

I went to Turnov alone and come the flight I was so scared.......whatever for!! EVERYTHING is taken care of and EVERYONE is so nice, there was not one minute when I regretted going alone. I took hand luggage and at every opportunity I put it on the floor.

They have WIFI at the hospital too, so you can communicate with friends.

I can't make your decision for you, but just wanted you to know that going alone isnt bad at all.

xx

This is the start of a new journey for you which only you can make. How many times in the past have you done things on the basis of doing what's right for others. This time it's all about you and whatever you want to do is right.

thankyou :) ... I guess part of it is seeing how worried my friend is for me, i dont want to leave her with the worry of wondering how im doing. But Paddy your right, i need to think about myself.
In a way i think if im alone, id have a bit more of the (just get on with it) attitude, i wont have time to feel sorry for myself.
but on the other hand wont have anyone to share my fears with.

My husband is coming with me to Turnov but it is more for him than me. The other 2 girls going at the same time as me are going alone so I may rent him out lol. This is your journey and you should go when it's right for you and not for others. There will more than likely be another Brit there when you are there so you would have someone to talk to. Plus there's Skype and Facebook to stay in touch with friends at home. X
Good luck decision making x

I have my week booked for the 10th March and nearly thought about changing it for 2 different reasons. But I have stuck with it as I just want to start my journey as soon as. I nearly changed it to April. I was worried about going alone, more carrying my luggage on the way back. I am taking my music, magazines and laptop lol. I do think it would be slightly easier with someone there but at the same time I don't have that luxury so it may make me get on with it a bit rather than feeling sorry for myself as I am a bit of a wimp with pain. Hey, if you end up going on the 10th I will see you there lol.

I have my week booked for the 10th March and nearly thought about changing it for 2 different reasons. But I have stuck with it as I just want to start my journey as soon as. I nearly changed it to April. I was worried about going alone, more carrying my luggage on the way back. I am taking my music, magazines and laptop lol. I do think it would be slightly easier with someone there but at the same time I don't have that luxury so it may make me get on with it a bit rather than feeling sorry for myself as I am a bit of a wimp with pain. Hey, if you end up going on the 10th I will see you there lol.

The staff offer you pain medication all the time, I had NONE, I promise you, no pain whatsover, my only problem was indigestion, and I think that was because I was drinking too fast....Ooops

and as for going alone, see my post above.......it was no problem and Im quite sure you will be just fine too.

xx

Hiya,

I can't comment on the after affects procedure myself as i had the bypass, but seeing as you asked what you should do as everyone said so far its your choice and your journey, however i cant' help myself to tell you that i think waiting for your friend to get the money together might seem like a long time but at least you can share your journey and your experiance/recovery with someone who obviously cares a great deal about your well being, i dont know what kind of a person you are ie independent or needy etc, i am inbetween the two but i still felt happier with my partner with me to help me home safely and make me feel secure. i think waiting for your friend you have nothing to lose yet everything to gain from manual help to love & support xx i wish you the very best for your up-coming surgery xx take care xxx

Wobblestokie, how did you manage your suitcase when going home? I plan to take a wheelie one. Also, there is quite a walk at airports to get through customs from collecting your baggage, did you manage the walk ok?

Thank you

Wobblestokie, how did you manage your suitcase when going home? I plan to take a wheelie one. Also, there is quite a walk at airports to get through customs from collecting your baggage, did you manage the walk ok?

Thank you

I only had handluggage, with no wheels and at every opportunity I put it on the floor, but it was no problem carrying it ( I travel light....lol). I had no problem whatseoever walking etc at the airports. To be honest I was quite apprehensive regarding the 'coming home' part, would I be in pain, having to sit on the plane, would I be OK, etc etc etc.

I just didnt have a problem. Im sorry that all my answers seem the same, but thats the truth, I had no pain whatsoever, (I didnt even know where all my stitches were until I saw them in the mirror!!)

The walk to the gate was about a 10 minute stroll, I just took my time and enjoyed the walk, again, I have to say it wasnt a problem.

Milan (the driver) walked me inside the airport to the baggage check in area, so if you have a case, you will only have to carry/wheel it a couple of yards to your specific check in desk. There is time for a stroll around the shops and plenty of time and plenty of benches for sitting down along the way if you needed them.

Hope that helps, if not ask away!!

xx

Last edited:
What clothes did you take with you? I assume I travel in my clothes and then have clothes for Monday and then to come home in as I am assuming that I am in my pyjamas for the rest of the time. How many pyjamas did you take or end up using and what about underwear lol do you put knickers on after the op or the next day?

Thanks

What clothes did you take with you? I assume I travel in my clothes and then have clothes for Monday and then to come home in as I am assuming that I am in my pyjamas for the rest of the time. How many pyjamas did you take or end up using and what about underwear lol do you put knickers on after the op or the next day?

Thanks

I took 3 tops (wore none) 2 pairs trackie bottoms (wore none) and travelled in same clothes. 3 sets of nighties (wore all) and a big heavy coat that I had to carry there and back, as everywhere is so hot I didnt need it! knickers and 2 belvia bra's.

I wore my nightwear for Monday, as you are in and out of tests for most of the day, I just put my dressing gown on for walking thru the hospital.

Kept my knickers on for dear life....:D and they remained on till the day of surgery, after that, I didnt care, cause whoever was going to see my 'bits' had already seen them so what the hell..........

I was alone and there was a lot of snow so I didnt leave the hospital and I lived in my nightwear and finally got dressed the morning I left, hence not needing clothes.

Hope that helps

xx

I didn't have any trouble with my case. I took a very small rolling one. Literally the clothes for the journey there and back. Everything else was light pj's and panties. I only needed the very basics.

I had an amazing experience on my own. You have your surgery buddies and actually the whole experience of going it alone was very empowering. Plus you need to concentrate on your healing. I think had I brought someone I would have been worried about them getting bored, etc. I don't know about your hospital but, mine had very strict and limited visiting times.

I didn't have any trouble with my case. I took a very small rolling one. Literally the clothes for the journey there and back. Everything else was light pj's and panties. I only needed the very basics.

I had an amazing experience on my own. You have your surgery buddies and actually the whole experience of going it alone was very empowering. Plus you need to concentrate on your healing. I think had I brought someone I would have been worried about them getting bored, etc. I don't know about your hospital but, mine had very strict and limited visiting times.

If you take someone with you to Turnov, you have a family room with 2 beds in it, so no visiting times as your friend, partner or whoever stays with you.

That's a nice touch. I wouldn't have delayed my surgery to take someone though. Obviously, that's me and everyone needs to do what they are comfy with. But, I would be thinking in that month I could have already lost my first stone and be recovered from the surgery bit.

x

I can't comment on travelling abroad as I was wrapped in the UK. However my best mate came to the hospital with me and stayed all day and then for an hour after I'd come round. To be honest if I'd had to put up with her for longer I'd have killed her! Love her to bits but she was no tower of strength and kept bursting into tears lol x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I had my op at the same time as a family member. It was nice having company, especially after the 1st day when you are feeling better. I would of waited to go with someone rather than go on my own though because I am a chicken lol.

Thanks all so much for your thoughts :) .. Ive decided to go alone! .. eeekkkk, i think the main thing im worried about is the travelling part as its so confusing lol :) xxx

Back