• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've got my first appointment at Chelsea & Westminster!

Hi everyone, I've not posted in a very long time. So Hello! :D

After pestering my doctor for 3+ years & him saying he's referred me, but nothing happened (yada yada) I've finally got my first outpatient appointment! It's not until Jan 27th, but I'm ok with that, I've had to wait long enough as it is :)
I was just wondering what happens at this appointment? I'm meeting with Mr. Thompson. Do they decide whether I can get funding then? Or does it go to a board? So many questions!

At my first appointment I met with a consultant surgeon who basically assessed wether he'd be willing to do the actual surgery. We spoke about the risks, complications etcetera. I had to fill in questionnaires which get looked over by the team, next is a referral to a dietician then for me an assessment by the psychologist. Once all of this has happened they all come together to make a formal decision.
I was told it would be months rather than years.

I really hope it goes well for you. Xx

Thanks Becky :) That's good to know. Where are you in the process? I assumed it would be 6 monthish from appointment to operation (If I get that lucky!) there's not much info out there about time frames, but I'm assuming it's different for each case.
Did you have your app at Chelsea & Westminster?

Congrats :)

I'm literally at the very start as well. The surgeon has said he is very supportive of me having the surgery, but I've got a way to go until I find out if I get the funding.
I'm at St. Georges London.
Xx

Thanks everyone :) Becky, if you don't mind me asking, as the surgeon was so supportive, do you have any other factors in support of you having the surgery or is it 'just' being overweight? I'm hoping that a few other medical matters will help my case :)

Hi I'm under Chelsea too, I was referred to mr Thompson but initially saw the bariatric nurse Nuala.
My first app was October 2012
I got funding November 2012
Lost the required 10% weight so
Mr Efthimiou put me on his list January 2013
Got op date of March 2013 but due to complications with pancreatitis and gallbladder removal I finally got my bypass June 2013 and I'm now 8st down!!!!
Cannot fault Chelsea for any aspect of this journey they've been amazing!
Good luck and ask anything if I can help x

Hi, I was referred basically because I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome, along with a host of other issues, and my being very over weight is severely impacting my joints (I have daily subluxations). It was actually my psychiatrist who referred me I was surprised as he knows all about my previous eating disorders over eating and then not eating. In order for me to be anywhere near able to exercise to strengthen my legs I need to be able to walk more than 50 yards at the moment I can't. Xx

Last edited:
Back