• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens at consultation ? - Shaw Somers Clinics

starry

HI
I am waiting my for my consultation date at St Richards in Shaw Somers Clinics - have waited for 6 1/2 months now and they said not long now !!

What do they do ? Any tests ??
I have had a sleep apnoea test and recent bloods. I have high BP and type 2 diabetes and am medicated for both. I am 32 with a BMI of 44.2

Does he tell you to lose weight before the op ? do they do a liver shrinking diet ?

Any other suggestions ?
What are the other dr's like there ???

sorry for all questions I am getting very excited now and my mind is racing even though I have another long wait for the actual op

xx

im under mr sommers when you go into clinic you see a nurse who will weigh you then another who will take a brief history of your medical background and what your eating habbits are they are lovely but be very honest with them which i know is hard but they need to know, there very easy to talk to and dont give you the judgemental look [if you had dr's do this in the past you know what i mean] you then go into see the dr who will discuss what your options are dont be afraid to ask him anything he recommended me bypass but it wasnt what i wanted and he is very honest about the good and bad of each op , you will then wait for a pre op app , at the preop you have bloods taken, a swab for mrsa, see a nurse and then dietician who will talk thru your eating plan for after op, she will also give you the pre op diet st richards does favour the milk diet which is 4pints of milk per day with one oxo cube and you can have a sachet of jelly a day as well it not easy but weight drops off while your on it which usually for about a week befor hand.
you then go into a fab ward for your op the nursing staff their are amazing one of them has had a band and a bypass herself so knows how it feels, you will prob make some great friends with other patients on bariatric ward and in clinic , there is usually a bit of a wait in clinics especially pre op took me a few hours that day.
your getting a brill team and mr sommers is just so lovely i cried on him twice now and he always there with a handy tissue and a lovely bedside manner! iv said befor in other posts i live 5 mins from the hosp so if anyone ever wants to meet up drop me a message it great having others for support and also for a break if you have travelled alot to get here

forgot to add i was not told to loose weight befor preop in fact i put a stone on had a bad dose of eat it now while i can lol
the other dr mr slater is very nice too very mr darcy looking lol and if he still there mr johns i think he was called i met on ward and was also great but i always see mr somers for my band fills

thank you so much that has really put my mind at rest.
I am worried as I have lost a bit of weight since my Dr wrote the PCT letter but down to metformin medication (renowned for a bit of weight loss ) but my BMI is still in criteria - just a bit worried.

Will take u up on offer of a meet up as I am travelling adistance and would be great to meet u xx thanks again

not a problem just shout out few days befor and il msg you my details it can really help having someone to natter too and probably a nice cuppa if you have been travelling lol

Hi and welcome to mini's, you have landed in a gem of a place for support, advice and to let off steam when necessary

Back