• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Joint pains improving after wls?

miserable

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question if i may: I am experiencing knee pain when i try to run (well run might be of an overstatement!) but to all the people who had WLS does it improve losing the excess weight? I just feel so lethargic and have no energy and feel so big... it is like i can realise and feel all the extra weight i am carrying... it is weird, am i bonkers? :confused:

Can't wait to get started and start enjoying life a bit more.

i certainly hope so, my knees kill me!
Good luck with your journey :) x

For the two months before my op my knees were giving me hell. I was in agony going upstairs and thought I'd be hobbling for ever. Things improved during the pre-op diet and I'm walking for 40 mins to an hour a day now with no knee pain.
still get out of puff though lol .
i'm only 4 weeks out and a few pounds down, but the difference to my mobility is incredible.

I was using a walking stick, sometimes two, pre-op but haven't used them since just after surgery. My general fitness and mobility have increased immensely. However, I do still have arthritis and still get flare ups when I can be in agony. These are (thankfully) far less often these days and the excess weight that is now gone is no longer a tremendous burden on my joints. ..... I'm still getting older though! xx

thank you so much guys. it reassures me a lot! I am still young and I don't want to feel like an old crypple (?) anymore! :)

I've had osteoarthritis in my right ankle for about 3-4 years. It was very painful, and I'd been on a high dose of Diclofenac for the last couple of years. Post bypass (at the beginning of June), I had to stop taking the meds, but I have to say I've had no trouble with my ankle at all.
Guess losing all this weight really does help!
xXx

i was munchin anti inflamitries like smarties before surgery now ive not touched a single one for 2 months now and im in no pain whatsoever

It depends on the cause of the pain, not all joint pain improves or disappears. Lots do though, and hopefully yours will, I'd just hate to give you unrealistic expectations. Personally my joint pain is just as bad as pre-op, in fact I developed spinal problems and had surgery for that earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This is a post I made in a similar thread recently which explains what I was trying to say better.

Devils advocate sorry. Initially post op my pain reduced dramatically, but after 6-8 months it came back. I know a lot of people more than a year out have had back pain or problems as the spine adjusts to a different weight balance, changed centre of gravity etc, sometimes exacerbated by muscle wastage and/or lack of muscle tone around the core muscles. Personally I ended up needing spinal surgery as I have suffered some wastage due to my chronic malabsorption and ended up with a herniated disc.

Now, my pain is slightly less than pre-op. But I have 3 chronic pain causing conditions, arthralgia, lupus arthritis and worse of all fibromyalgia. The weight loss hasn't improved any of these unfortunately.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom, I just want people to know that it depends on what is causing your pain as to whether it will vanish. If it is just general joint pain due to the heavy load bearing then yes thus should ease, but if there us a systemic cause or any damage to the joint mechanics has happened as a result of years of this load bearing then you may never get rid of it.

I hope you do though, it's not nice knowing that whatever you do in the future it will always be with pain as your companion.

My hip pain has eased but I have muscle ache/weakness when walking.I think the thigh muscle is wasted so Im trying to build it up.Gives me bloomin gyp at times!

Protein protein protein Maz, that's the key to prevent wastage and to help re-build muscles x

thanks everyone, it is really healpful :)

Back