• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Jumping in feet first

bouncypanda

I've decided that I'm going to jump in and pay for my surgery (hopefully 0% interest free) as I cannot wait 2 years to do weight loss management since I've been here and back doing diets (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, MFP, etc etc) for the past 10 years. I simply refuse to wait another 2 years to either get a yes or a no so I want to start this asap.

I did want to do the band but I think the bypass is better for me now as I know if I have the band I'll only have to pay out again to have the bypass since I won't be happy.

Question: How do I go about finding a possible 0% mortality rate surgeon?

I'm in North Essex and originally when they granted me funding I was supposed to go to Luton & Dunstable hospital but I've heard some awful things about it there so would rather go elsewhere.

I could go back to the area I used to live and go to Clementine Churchill but not sure what options are available and who to basically go to.

I have looked at Streamline but wasn't happy with the conversation I had with them originally as they seemed more concerned about pushing the bypass on me rather than discuss the band options so anyone have any ideas?

I would like someone caring and who doesn't think I'm an idiot just because I'm fat because I'm not - and as I've been treated as such with other medical people I'd rather not have to go through that again if I can help it since I'll just end up getting ratty and walking out.

Help??

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you know the surgeon you want thats half the battle but as you are still undecided, let google be your friend. Try searching for the top bariatric surgeons for example. Read up on them, then maybe contact a few of them.

Lots of people go direct to the surgeon rather than through the sales people and I don't blame them. The last thing you need is the hard sell or someone who's patronising when you are considering life changing surgery!

Good luck with your research :D

Hi, and welcome!

I don't blame you for going private - I wasted 3 years on ridiculous weight management courses run by by NHS trust, and never got anywhere near a surgeon in that time. Just a barrage of patronising psychologists, dieticians etc. Once I decided to pay, I spoke to my GP who referred me to a personal friend of hers. He only did bands, and was honest enough to advise me that he thought I should consider a bypass or sleeve. He then referred me to a colleague of his, who I was more than happy with.

Funny thing about mortality rates - I didn't want a surgeon with 0% because my thought process was along the lines of "if they've not lost a patient yet they must be due one and I don't want that to be me". So, my surgeon had done in excess of 600 bypasses, had 1 mortality.

Best of luck with everything - have to say I wish I'd done it sooner!

I had my surgery with streamline at clementine Churchill. Mr guy slater did mine. Everything went well at the time but I did develop a stricture.

They don't treat me like an idiot and Nicole their dietitian is lovely.

I thought band at first but after telling the surgeon how much I wanted to lose, why I wanted to and that I have big problems with relapse he recommended the bypass.

The only thing I would say is that you're only covered for complications of surgery with them for 30 days post op. Which isn't great.

I'm also from North Essex - saffron walden :)

I've decided that I'm going to jump in and pay for my surgery (hopefully 0% interest free) as I cannot wait 2 years to do weight loss management since I've been here and back doing diets (Slimming World, Weight Watchers, MFP, etc etc) for the past 10 years. I simply refuse to wait another 2 years to either get a yes or a no so I want to start this asap. I did want to do the band but I think the bypass is better for me now as I know if I have the band I'll only have to pay out again to have the bypass since I won't be happy. Question: How do I go about finding a possible 0% mortality rate surgeon? I'm in North Essex and originally when they granted me funding I was supposed to go to Luton & Dunstable hospital but I've heard some awful things about it there so would rather go elsewhere. I could go back to the area I used to live and go to Clementine Churchill but not sure what options are available and who to basically go to. I have looked at Streamline but wasn't happy with the conversation I had with them originally as they seemed more concerned about pushing the bypass on me rather than discuss the band options so anyone have any ideas? I would like someone caring and who doesn't think I'm an idiot just because I'm fat because I'm not - and as I've been treated as such with other medical people I'd rather not have to go through that again if I can help it since I'll just end up getting ratty and walking out. Help??

Word is streamline are no longer offering or recommending bands unless pushed for privately. This is due to the long term complications of bands and the rising amount of revisions now being performed. Bands became very popular and are a great tool if correctly positioned and used. Problem is they didn't have enough longterm knowledge until more recently. Complications can happen at anytime but slips seem very common only a couple of years down the line. I've had a slip, a preposition and now a revision to bypass spanning 10 years.

I had my surgery on Tuesday. All four of us on the bariatric ward had band removals and two were revisions to bypass. The other two were band slips and erosions only a couple of years post op. These ladies opted to have nothing after the problems they had suffered.

I'm not wanting to put you off but it's important to read all different experiences. Don't get me wrong.....I don't regret my original band but once slipped I wished I'd been revised. Would have saved years of misery and struggle then complete regain. The band was just never the same.

Please please consider the longterm effects of all the available surgeries so you're prepared. I never did and opted for the least invasive and cheapest option and 10 years ago there was no longterm research available.

Good luck and research research research :)
You sound determined and will make the right choice for yourself. Meet different surgeons, take their advise but go with your gut instinct.

Word is streamline are no longer offering or recommending bands unless pushed for privately. This is due to the long term complications of bands and the rising amount of revisions now being performed. Bands became very popular and are a great tool if correctly positioned and used. Problem is they didn't have enough longterm knowledge until more recently. Complications can happen at anytime but slips seem very common only a couple of years down the line. I've had a slip, a preposition and now a revision to bypass spanning 10 years. I had my surgery on Tuesday. All four of us on the bariatric ward had band removals and two were revisions to bypass. The other two were band slips and erosions only a couple of years post op. These ladies opted to have nothing after the problems they had suffered. I'm not wanting to put you off but it's important to read all different experiences. Don't get me wrong.....I don't regret my original band but once slipped I wished I'd been revised. Would have saved years of misery and struggle then complete regain. The band was just never the same. Please please consider the longterm effects of all the available surgeries so you're prepared. I never did and opted for the least invasive and cheapest option and 10 years ago there was no longterm research available. Good luck and research research research :) You sound determined and will make the right choice for yourself. Meet different surgeons, take their advise but go with your gut instinct.
When I say word is..... I'm talking on the ward amongst staff and patients at Chi!!!

I had my surgery private and via Healthier Weight and specifically went with them because one of my things was that I would ONLY have it if I had a surgeon who had a zero % mortality rate. I found him there and both him and HW have been great.

I have a band and I'm more than happy with the pre-during and post op care that I have. I also have 3 years insurance to cover me for any thing that may happen post op.

Finding a surgeon with a zero mortality rate may be fraught with problems so I urge you to be careful. Would you rather have a surgeon who's done 20 surgeries on people with a BMI less than 40 with a rate of 0% or an experienced surgeon who's done 200 with a mortality rate of 1% because those two people weighed 500lb and died of complications unrelated to their surgery 20 days after? My journey so far has been since April 2013 when I was referred by my GP. I'm now waiting for a date that will most likely be in April this year. By all means pay privately but be careful on how you choose a surgeon. It's useful to look on the GMC register :)

Finding a surgeon with a zero mortality rate may be fraught with problems so I urge you to be careful. Would you rather have a surgeon who's done 20 surgeries on people with a BMI less than 40 with a rate of 0% or an experienced surgeon who's done 200 with a mortality rate of 1% because those two people weighed 500lb and died of complications unrelated to their surgery 20 days after? My journey so far has been since April 2013 when I was referred by my GP. I'm now waiting for a date that will most likely be in April this year. By all means pay privately but be careful on how you choose a surgeon. It's useful to look on the GMC register :)

I totally agree. Your gp may also be able to recommend a surgeon.

The Streamline surgeons are some of the best and well known in the country. The package available may not be though. Pros and cons eh?!!

That is a very good point

Back