• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ketosis - losing body fat???

5-6 litres a DAY? :eek:

HOW? I can just about manage the 2 litres (usually a bit less), the thought of that much, urgh... :p

It was wayyy to much I'm probably lucky to still be hear :eek: sometimes lets just say "waste" water came out of both ends :eek:. I lost daily most of the time(scale obsessed) on Cambridge and that's what made me keep my intake up as I was convinced that was why and at the time us big water drinkers were getting the big losses.

I've done Cambridge 4 times,first time I lost 5st in 3 months and two stone doing it for a month and the last two times flopped I just couldn't do the water.

Aww that's fantastic news honey :) do you feel better for the increased calories? Well done you :)

Thanks hun. Yes I don't feel so unstable when I do my exercise now :D

Well done you!! Really thrilled for you, you must be on cloud 9, lol. I bet you'll really see the benefit to your exercise now too.
I'm doing really well, dropping quite quickly at the moment which is always a nice boost. 4 1/2 lbs down last week. I'm getting closer to the 5 stone loss mark, and really beginning to feel the difference in myself.

Glad to hear it :) well done on your huge loss :D

Definitely conflicting because I've heard dark purple means dehydrated too BUT I've done the Cambridge diet several times and always had dark purple. Was I dehydrated? I'm not sure but I was drinking 5-6 litres of water a day(yes I kid you not and this was before they said 2 and a half to 3 litres max)

It is conflicting but an abnormal result (purple) can be as a result of many things:

• Diabetic ketoacidosis, a problem that occurs in people with Type 1 diabetes.

• Abnormal food or nutrition intake due to:

• Fasting
    • Anorexia
    • High protein or low carbohydrate diets
    • Starvation
    • Vomiting over a long period of time
  • Disorders of increased metabolism
  • Acute or severe illness
  • Burns
  • Fever
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Nursing a baby (lactation)
  • Pregnancy
In my humble opinion, will WLS help you to stick to this way of eating more so than pre op? I don't think it will. In fact you may find its more difficult to eat meats etc and veg will be an easier option, especially in the first few months post op. Will veg through you out of ketosis?

Its important to get the vitamins/minerals from what little you consume, by missing or limiting food groups you are running the risk of becoming deficient - surely?

fjsinc That's awesome. Quicker losses always keep me on the straight and narrow. Hope it continues for you hun.

Mazza I'd be to worried about the deficiency side of a ketosis diet to try one post op but I do still do minimal starchy carbs now.

Me too hun, I quoted your post referring to conflicting information ;)

The rest was directed at the original poster and bookie.

I don't profess to be an expert but most post op advice would be to eat protein and veg meals. Some even say to avoid meat for 3 months.

I would be interested to hear what a post op diet that keeps you in ketosis consists of - also if dieticians approve, is it balanced etc :confused:

The rest was directed at the original poster and bookie.

I don't profess to be an expert but most post op advice would be to eat protein and veg meals. Some even say to avoid meat for 3 months.

I would be interested to hear what a post op diet that keeps you in ketosis consists of - also if dieticians approve, is it balanced etc :confused:

Protein and veg is exactly what a low carb diet is about, with a few carbs thrown in for good measure.

It's a common misconception that it's all about fat and meat, far from it. And yes, as long as you avoid the starchy veg type, you can eat mountains of green veg and you won't come out of ketosis.

A typical LC meal for me would be chicken breast, oven cooked with a parmesan and Philadelphia sauce, served with steamed green beans tossed with butter, lemon juice and crushed hazelnuts.

The foundation of a good LC regime is just like the pyramid dieticians are so fond of showing us, but with the elements in different order: green veg and berry type of fruits at the bottom, fish, meat, poultry etc above that, and right at the top if the pyramid, in small portions would be starchy and sweet stuff.

The difference between low-fat and low-carb is that LC is self-controlling: there is only so much full fat stuff you can eat before you are full, whereas you can eat a pile load of sugary/starchy stuff and be ready to start again a couple of hours later, not to mention the lethargy the insulin spike causes.

No misconceptions here! so what are the "few carbs thrown in for good measure", the vegetables that are already included ?

As you are pre op, it might be some time before you can eat as your sample meal proposes. What will you eat in the meantime?

You wont be eating mountains of anything post op though, thats for sure :D

Individual differences come in to play here. Some people will achieve ketosis and be able to eat a fair and nutritionally useful amount of complex carbohydrates. However, others will find it difficult on very small amounts. Post op, it just isn't a necessary worry.

The sticks measure the amount of ketones you are excreting in urine. There are other urinalysis strips that do indicate the specific gravity of urine, which is an indicator of hydration. So there could be some confusion about that.

I really didn't mean to stirr things up...
I just want to make it clear - I'm not following any kind of diet regiment. I eat bread and choclota - almost every day.
I'm 4 months post op and started eating meat recently again - I still can't handle a steak but I had my first schnitzel yesterday and it was yummy :)
I mainly eat veg, salad, cheese, eggs and whole wheat bread. And by doing so I happen to be in ketosis. The amount of carbs/ starch you can eat and still be in ketosis varies from person to person. I've heard from people who have to have less than 50g of carbs a day to be in ketosis. I couldn't and wouldn't do that for more then a week!! I have about 100g of carbs a day. I want to eat in a way I can eat like for the rest of life.

@mazza, I am well aware that this isn't what I'll be eating post op for a while!

Carbs? Well let's see, for most it will be in the things they are already having: dairy products, nuts, even fruits (non exotic kind). Some will have some bread, or some rice or potatoes or pasta, that kind of thing. It really is up to people what they choose!

Me? I will have to see what my provider recommends to start with and take it from there. Soups and broths look likely, but tbh I haven't really planned ahead, not knowing how I will feel post -op.

I have to say I don't understand why there seems to be such resistance to low carb yet low fat is accepted without a blink by so many, even when we know it is unhealthy, and effectively works by starving the body. Do we feel that we MUST suffer to achieve our goal?

I don't have all the answers, far from it. All I know is that between a steak and a doughnut, which one is the best for me!!! ; -)

I don't think there is resistance as such. I think to some extent most of us eat lowish carbs due to the restriction from the ops and the need for protein. That said, we have all been on diet after diet and it has never worked. Generally speaking we are trying to find a way to eat for the rest of our life that will maintain our best weight. So I can't LC indefinitely. So it's not my path. But it may well be someone else's. I think the key is that we need to forge a new path for ourselves because what we've done before hasn't worked for us.

Evolutionary Psychiatry: Your Brain on Ketones"

Just Googled this, very interesting but cant get the link up

Kim

You haven't stirred things up, its just interesting to read about and to try and gain an understanding.

I'm just asking questions, not trying to call people out! You are both obviously very knowledegable on the subject and my curiosty was spiked :wave_cry:

I succesfully lost my weight on a no meat (other protein sources) veg and fruit way of eating. I chose to give up bread as it always made me feel bloated pre op. Rice and pasta because thats what I used to eat too much of pre op. My provider suggests you can eat small amounts of these but I don't trust myself. Over four years down the line, I don't miss them.

In the past I had tried (amongst many others) slimming world and didn't lose an oz, infact gained - because rice and pasta were unlimited. I have since reflected and wondered if my family history of type two diabetes means that I too would have become dibaetic if I had carried on eating like that :confused:

I'ts pretty scary when we learn what carbs can do when low fat has always been the way to lose.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as mean! Put it down as being hungry and in pain (ran out of codeine).

Any questions, do ask! Sorry again for being snappy.: (

Back