• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

L&D funding

minyfresh

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of getting funding for bypass surgery after doing the 6 month weight management program at the L&D.

I saw my GP last October for something unrelated to WLS but while I was there he spoke to me about my weight and said with my other medical probs if I didn't lose a lot of weight I wouldn't make 45. He asked me if I'd ever considered WLS. I said I had but didnt think I would qualify for NHS funding. My GP told me that as I had a BMI of over 40 and type 2 diabetes that I would. He referred me to the L&D for surgery.

Attended first appointment at L&D in Feb and it was explained that due to PCT criteria (BMI 40+ with co morbities) and the process they want you to follow first, I would have to do the 6 months weight management. My blood sugars were too high so they changed my medication from metformin to victoza and my sugars were stable enough to start the milk diet on the 28th May. I have to lose 10% of my body weight before they will refer me onto the surgeon. I've lost 17lbs in just under 3 weeks and they want me to stay on it for 4 more weeks and lose at least another 10lbs. Then they will put me onto the refeed diet. Does anyone have any info on the refeed?

I guess my main question is if I carry on doing as well as I am currently and my BMI goes below 40 at the end of the 6 months, will they still refer me for a bypass and apply for funding or will I have shot myself in the foot?

I've been over weight since I was a child and have yo yo dieted on and off always putting the weight back on and more. Over the years I've tried zenical twice, some other amphetamine based slimming pills from the GP, hypnosis twice, accupuncture, VLCDs, Slimming World, Weight Watchers, calorie counting and I can't remember what else lol

Sorry this turned into war and peace lol and thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, i'm at L&D and about too undertake my surgery next week.

I had to do the milk diet for 4 weeks and had to lose 5% of my body weight, which I achieved in the four weeks, I actually managed to lose 7.2%.

Then the refeed, which was for me 2 pints of milk a day , and then a main meal of 400 cal, and 2 snacks of 200 cal a day.

This is very hard to do, but you are only on it for 2 weeks, but I stuck to it until I saw my surgeon and have so far lost 4.5 stone by doing it.

Then last week I got put on the 2 week pre op milk diet and so far, lost about another 8 lb, so in total taking me about 5 stone.

Hope this helps you, you have a few l&ders on here, so plenty of advice.

Where you from?

I was a bit peeved that I've got to lose 10% from the start of the milk diet as I'd already lost 22lbs while I was sorting my blood sugars out. It didn't seem quite fair somehow but if thats how it is then I'll suck it up to get what I need for the longer term.

I can see the refeed being where it all goes pear shaped then when they let me back in the kitchen lol

I've read your blog and many of your posts here while I was lurking and I have to say Gary, you've been a bit of an inspiration to me :). You've done amazingly well.

All the very best for your surgery next week

oh and before I forget to answer your question I'm in Watford :D

Ah ok, I was going to say I'm starting up a support group with a few others locally, but it will be in Peterborough.

Great to hear I'm a inspiration to you, but I really don't see it like that, I just want to help anyone in anyway I can.

If you need a buddy, then I am happy to help if I can.

thanks Gary it's a shame I'm too far away for the support group. I would love to meet people in a similar situation and share experiences.

Hi Minty fresh.
I would ring the L&d team and ask if funding has been approved..i would think it has at this stage,but there is no harm in checking...
they usually take the weight from the very first appointment and judge your weight loss from that..it would not effect your funding...
i am 3 weeks post op and was done at the L&D..and off all insulins..
i just wanted to wish you luck on your journey.xx

thanks Wishing and Lisa for your replies and gl to you both too xx

I was told at my follow up last week that funding had definately not been applied for because my PCT require you to do 6 months weight management first so earliest they can apply would be end of August. :(

I was 21st at the first appt (end of Feb) and I'm now at the end of my 4th week on the milk diet. Weighed in at 17st 13lbs this morning. 3 more weeks of milk then I can go onto refeed.

Been feeling down in the dumps today as I took my daughter to see the GP last night and while I was there he asked how I was getting on. Told him I'd lost three stone and he said well done, carry on like this and you won't need surgery will you! He promised me that he would do his utmost to get me WLS and I feel now like he and the hospital are gonna say there see you can do it, you've lost three stone you can lose 8 more get on with it. It's really screwing with my head.

I hope he was just trying to encourage me but if it was that easy to stick to a 1200 cal a day diet and then keep the weight off I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. Just gonna keep plodding on and see what happens next with the obesity clinic.

Thanks for your support xx

what i try to do (not hard enough i've been told) is to do batches of meals and freeze them so that i can take one to work to microwave when i'm on lateshift ............each meal is around 400 cals and i try to vary what i cook

it all depends which dietician you have/get at the l&d as to the advise you get ;) so make sure you ask questions as one told me i had to stick to what was written down on the refeed sheet and another told me that the sheet is a only a guide and you can vary bits and pieces (leaves you to control what you eat yourself)

i had to lose a stone to prove to them that i could do it even though i was already told i had the pct funding ...........see what i mean ;)

anyways good luck

Thanks Joffy batch cooking sounds like a great idea, I might do some for the family while I'm still on the milk, its been so hard cooking for them every night and sitting down to chicken bovril at dinner time lol

I'm with ya ;) about the differing advice you get! I did the order of service for my friends wedding and watched the tennis to take my mind off eating the entire contents of the fridge and cupboards, feel good about not giving in to the emotional munchies :D

Back