• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Landlord is not being helpful

Thump

Found a flat I really like last week and decided to rent it. I've been living in my current place for over a year, on a rolling tenancy for the past few months. I've always paid my rent on time, I haven't caused any trouble or damaged anything. I gave my one month's notice. He wasn't too thrilled because he'll be in Iran for a month or so and can't show the flat himself but as he's the one who said I had to move out at some indeterminate time this year, he can hardly blame me, can he?

He said he was happy to provide a reference, this was last Thursday. He leaves for Iran today and he still hasn't done it! I have been calling and texting every day. Here've said he had mailed it on Sunday but the estate agent hadn't received anything, not even after checking his spam folder. I'm starting to worry that the landlord might not have all his papers right. He goes back to Iran quite often and I'm now wondering if it might not be for visa purposes.

I've already paid a holding deposit and I can't afford to lose that kind of money because some jerk couldn't be bothered to take a minute to write a quick email saying I pay my rent. What can I do if he doesn't send it? I know the agency has a reference from work telling them how much I earn etc but I don't know if it'll be enough. I really need to know I have somewhere to live because I'm abroad at the end of August. I'm so frustrated and angry that he's putting me through this when I have been nothing but a good tenant.

Check out a forum called landlord zone it's for landlords AND tenants, I used when I needed help on my tenancy xxxx

I'm sure the letting agent sees this sort of thing all the time. There mustp be other things they can do / you can produce whilst waiting for this 'letter' from your soon to be ex landlord.

For example, a copy of your existing tenancy agreement that shows when the rent is due each month. Copies of your bank statements showing this amount or there abouts going out at that time each month. The letting agents visiting your current home to see how well kept it is. Put a clause in the tenancy agreement that if unsatisfactory references are received then you are out with one month notice (in practice they probably have a "if we find that you have lied/given misinformation to get this let we will chuck you out" type clause in the contract).

Those are just off the top of my head, but as I say the new letting agent should have experience of this and have other options. If we all were waiting on references from the landlord we are leaving, none of us would move!

if your letting through a letting agency then they should have help your deposit in the governments DPS - Deposit protection Scheme. The letting Agent should have organised this, or if let via a landlord they are ALSO SUPPOSED to do this.

Back