• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Life is very short....

tranquil_butterfly

It seems almost inappropriate to put this in the chit chat section but I could not find another suitable place. I am in shock because I have just learned that one of the people who had their op the same day as me has died of a heart attack. He was only 28. He was 28 stone when he had the bypass and had lost 12 stone in nearly 8 months. There were 4 of us who were operated on that day and we have kept in touch off and on over the months since. As I ended up with the band apart form the first post op appointment when we were all seen, we got out of sync after that and I have not met up with them face to face since January.

I still cannot believe he has gone. I do not want to be accused of scaremongering because this is not what this post is about. It is about, I suppose that life is very short and just when you think that things are going well it can suddenly be taken away. His ex girlfriend, who let me know he had gone (she was also operated on the same day and they got together after the ops) said he had a pre-existing heart condition. He was also struggling with eating which accounted for his rapid weight loss. My provider who does not have the world's greatest reputation for after care had been monitoring things and seeing him monthly.

It has made me realise that you have to almost live everyday as it is your last and make the very best of things. 28 is no age to go. May he rest in peace.

tranquil x

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. My thoughts are with you and his loved ones.
You are right in your sentiment though - we should all make more of everyday we're lucky enough to be here.
Live well, laugh often, love much.
xXx

very sad tranquil, may he rest in peace hun x

Very sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends x x

Tranquil - So sad that this is happened, especially to one so young. I`m afraid his heart condition was`nt strong enough to withstand all that has happened over recent months.

It is still very rare for people to die through weight loss surgery; and I know that you would`nt be insensitive to other people about to undergo surgery. As we know its those that are sensationalised in the papers that we hear about.

Hope you are coping with the shock hun x

Big ((((hugs)))) coming your way xx

Love Kat x

I hope it has not scared people who are pre - op or post - op - it was not meant to. He was a lovely person and I just cannot believe he has gone. We all got to know each other so well because they had us in the hospital re- doing all our pre-ops the day before surgery and we were there most of the day. His dad is a lovely man and was very supportive of his son and went to all his appointments with him. I feel for his family and his ex girlfriend too - as they were close.

My apologies if I have upset anyone with this post.

tranquil x

Only speaking for myself, no you have not frightened or scaremongered me. You are just very sad and shocked and wanted to 'talk'. The shocking thing is 28 is no age, it would be sad if it was someone older but not such a shock.

The only person I have heard about in our area who died, had an underlying heart problem, but the extra weight wouldn't have done his heart good either. It is just sad when anyone dies young, but hopefully he had some fun and memorable moments in his life. xx

I agree with Penguina. This has been a shock for you and you need to talk to people who you know will understand.

We are all going in to this with our eyes open and I dont think anyone will not understand your need to post x x x

Bless him,I hope he had a few months of the happiness that I have had post surgery and he is at peace.

So sad when someone so young dies, xx

TB i was so sad to read your post. For someone to die so young... I don't think you need apologise for what you thought could be perceived as scaremongering especially as he died with a previous heart condition complication, you are merely sharing your shock and grief with friends who can offer some support of a kind.

Thank you for reminding us that when we are larger and our all consuming thoughts are 'when i lose weight' and what we will do with ourselves when fitter and healthier. This young lad sounds like a lovely man and i'm so sorry for his families and your loss, i hope he was enjoying his life with the weight loss.

Life is for living, don't let anything or anybody stop you enjoying your time on this earth. We never know when it's going to end for any of us....

Love to you and Mr TB who is probably also in shock xxx

Im so sorry for your loss, what an awful shock for you ,as a pre opper your experience hasn't scared me ...much... but i do worry in case i do have an underlying undetected problem ,but i suppose everyone has this concern .... when i had my pre op assessment , the first thing the nurse asked me was"do you have a will?" *Gulp* no ,should i? i said , she laughed and we moved on , but it does make you think. I do hope that your friend enjoyed his weight loss journey for the time he was on it . bless his heart.

Thank you for sharing your story xxxx

Thanks for all your posts. I am still in shock this morning. I really hope I have not worried anyone because it was not my intention. It has been a wake up call for me. So many things have been getting me down lately but on reflection they are minor things in the great scheme of life. As Julie says life is for living and with the second chance we get with wls we owe it to ourselves to make every moment count.

tranquil x

Such sad news sorry for everyone that knew him. Seems such a shame when I bet he was enjoying life so much more and doing more stuff

Love and hugs to all that knew him

jo
xx

phatmomma said:
Life is for living, don't let anything or anybody stop you enjoying your time on this earth. We never know when it's going to end for any of us...
xxx

Well said Julie. So, so true.

So sorry to hear that your friend has passed away... from what you have said it would seem that he was surrounded by lots of lovely family and friends who supported him, the fact you mentioned his ex girlfriend still being around shows what sort of person he must have been... and all those people and yourself are blessed to have known him for however a short period.
I'm pre-op and I have thought about the serious nature of what I am doing and what might happen. My family are very supportive and I fully intend to continue with my op. You have not said anything that would upset anyone on this forum I'm sure and all our thoughts and love are being sent to you now.

Use this kowledge to enjoy every moment and live your life to the full x :)

TB so sorry to hear this sad news. It did not upset or scare me, we all have to get feelings out and here is a good place to do it. Thinking of you x

Back