• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Leaking like the Titanic..

Thankyou everyone for your kind words of encourgement and support. I am hoping on monday that things go ok, the leak is smaller if not sealed. As much as I dont want to go back into hospital, Im hoping that they will readmit me and start me off on fluids and we can work together to get this matter resolved. Its got to be onwards and upwards from here hasnt it??

Evening ladied and gents, I went and had another swallow test today and the results show that the leak has reduced in size from that of a 50p piece (original) to a hairs thickness. However I have not been admitted into hospital to be started off on sips of water, I was sent home and advised that I would get a call back on Friday regarding things as the consultant I saw needs to speak to the rest of team to determine what would be the next best step. I did express yet again my dissatisfaction at being told or prommised one thing and having another happen. I got a half decent explanation that I am happy with.

Basically because the leak is now so small they envisage it will seal itself within the next 14 days because compared to two weeks ago it was almost 15x smaller. They dont think it would be in my best interest at this stage to glue and clip the site as the endoscope could make the hole larger. Alternatively as what happened with the stent experiment I could end up very ill again, and i really dont want that. So I have agreed to carry on with the NJ feed until Friday and wait for the call and discuss the next steps.

I have also been given the all clear from the hospital to return back to work. This afternoon I had a lengthy face to face conversation with management at my work and its official, I start back tomorrow. Because of everything thats gone on, Im on a phased return to work and allowed to work 10am - 12 noon for the remainder of the week until I get the prommised phone call from the hospital on Friday. They will look to increase my hours from next week. Im very relieved as what I shall earn in the 2 hours I am at work superceeds the daily rate for Statutory sick pay that I receive at the moment. Another bonus, not only in the recent pay review was I awarded a 5% increase but because I have met all my targets for the past year and had no unauthorised sickness, I also get my annual bonus. out of a possible £500, I get the full amount (subject to tax of course) which has put the icing on the cake for me today as it means not only am I a few steps away from not leaking anymore, but I can now financially scrape through the next 2 months and wont have to loose my home :)

Ok, Im a little deflated that Im still not drinking but Ive made other progress :) The reception I received when I returned to work was overwhelming. Ive never had so many hugs in my life, and alot of people did not recognise me. The comments and words of encouragement almost had me in tears.

Went and brought work clothes on my way home, im now down to a size 16 shirt from a 30. Trouser wise Im now down to an 18 from a 32. What a feel good factor day today has been :) Would have been better with a drink to celebrate though :p

This is the best news Scooter!!!! It's about time you were on the mend!

I'm made up for you lovely and let's hope that leak
Shrinks quickly!!

Nx

I am so glad to hear things starting to move in the right direction at long last . Hope work doesn't wear you out too much , just pace yourself . Fingers x'd for Friday xx

Every time I come back to this thread my jaw hits the floor yet again...... I work for the NHS and honestly this is atrocious. Our hospital has a critical incident team which meets every week, and disatisfactory outcomes (however minor) are examined and discussed. Each professional involved is asked to write a few pages of reflection describing what they could have done different, and if this was impossible what contributed to this. eg a minor incident could be something like incorrectly labelling a chart. A major incident would be haemorrhage. Ultimately, major incidents like haemorrhage are often unpreventable, but the incident group examines the case to make sure correct treatment measures are taken. I am STUNNED that you have suffered as long this. Good luck for Monday Scooter, and stick with the case. It'd be nice to get loss of earnings back at least.... Xo

I agree with you 100%. I too was stunned to read of scooter's suffering - and over a period of months.

I dearly hope that the problem is finally sorted-out, and quickly, so that scooter can at last enjoy life again. I pray that all will go well and that it will be healing and progress from now on.

Oh scooter! Thank heavens for some good news for a change. You are a very brave girl, and you've managed to get through some truly horrible experiences.

We're all rooting for you and sending blessings and prayers. You deserve that weight loss, that's for sure. Well done! Hopefully you will soon be able to drink (and eat!) 'normally' and get your strength back. All the best with work too x

Oh I'm so glad to hear things are finally going right for you Scooter!
Good luck with your return to work, and here's hoping the leak shrinks away to nothing.
And Woweeee on the weight loss, what an amazing feeling it must be to be able to buy 16s and 18s again!
Em xxxxxxxx

Ur last post really made me smile :) I'm so pleased things are looking up for u, and not b4 time as well. Keep us posted and il keep my fingers crossed on Friday for u xx

Well done Scooter excellent news so pleased your health is improving just lets hope for Friday now and soo pleased you guna get your bonus n be able to keep your home. xx

So glad things are looking up. Good luck with the return to work and fingers crossed for Friday xx

Hi everyone, still alive and enjoying the normality of things like going to work again. Those 2 hours a day are like heaven!

Ive had a call today from the hospital asking me to go in to the clinic tomorrow after I leave work at 12. Hopefuly more good news :D Hope everyone is well and having a good week, will let you know what happens tomorrow x

i think i got a better chance of finding a rocking horse poop.. but thats what Im hoping! :)

It finally sounds like you've got a bit of normality back in your life!
Hope it continues and you get ome good news at h hospital tomorrow.
Em xxxxx

Thanks Em, as ever much appreciated x thanks for your support

btw.. how did your pre op go??

Pre op went ok I think, they don't really give much away do they!
I didn't have to have an ECG or a sleep study test.
As far as I know the waiting lists 12 weeks so hopefully not too long to wait.

Just looked at your photos and all I can say is Woweeee you're looking fab, at least there's one good thing come out of all the grief you've had.

Best of luck tomorrow
Em xxx

Hello hun I have just read your story and I am amazed at how bad you have been treated. You are very strong and I hope you have good news today. xxx

Back