• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LEMONS!

salski

Anyone got a decent idea with what to do with a net of lemons, bearing i mind I cant really have sugar? Im stuck as Im no great cook/baker

Thanks in advance

Sal x

I'd like to know too as I have some fresh lemons brought back from Malta. Picked straight off my friend tree. At the moment they are just going into friends Earl Grey Tea which seems such a waste. Come on you cooks - give us some help!!

Not long to go with the Baby now, maybe a lemon Curry when you get nearer your due date LOL !!

LOL I could suck on a lemon - probably why I am so sour and prickly most of the time :D

My mum used to cut them
Up and freeze them, then whenever u have a g and t use one of the lemon slices as ice! Also, if u cut one in half u can put it in the fridge, makes it smell nice. Or If u have a microwave, cut up two lemons and put in a bowl of water and put it on for 5 minutes, cleans the inside for u! X

Very good tips Lucy
If you pick them off the tree and leave a bit of stem on them, they keep for months.

Mine were a present and smuggled though customs - so I want to do something nice with them.

here are a couple that I have from Slimming World:

Lemon Mousse
rind and juice of two lemons
8 level tbsp artificial sweetener
3 eggs separated
2 tbsp hot water
1 sachet gelatine
6ozs very low fat natural fromage frai
1 egg white
pinch of salt or cream of tartar

method-
put grated lemon rind and juice in blow with sweetener and egg yolks. Stand over saucepan of simmering water and whisk until lemon in colour and just beginning to thicken (this takes 10 - 15 mins)

Pour the hot water into small basin, sprinkle on gelatine and stir well. Stand in pan of simmering water and leave until gelative has fully dissolved.

Stir dissolved gelatine into the lemon custard and leave until it is beginning to set. Fold the fromage frai into the setting lemon mixture.

Pour into serving dish and put in fridge for 2-3 hours before serving.

I'll put the next one on a new post.

That sound good Jane, I might give that one a go. How many is it supposed to serve, before I gobble it all up in one sitting?!

Zesty Lemon Cheesecake

1/2 pt skimmed mil,
8 level tbsp artificial sweetener
2 eggs separated
1 sachet gelatine
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1lb of very low fat natural fromage frais
1/4 pt Elmlea Light Double Cream
8 ginger nut biscuits
fresh fruit to serve

method:

Put milk and sweetner in pan and heat gently, stirring continuously until sweetener dissolved. Beat egg yolks in a bowl and add the hot milk mixture, stirring well. Return to pan and heat gently stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture coats the back of the spoon - make sure not to boil.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Put the gelatine and lemon juice in a bowl over pan of hot water until gelatine dissolves. Stir in milk mixture.

Add lemon rind and leave to cool. Stir vanilla essence into fromage frais and mix into milk mixture.

Put in fridge for 30 mins stirring occasionally until it sets.

Whip the cream slightly and fold into fromage frais mixture. Whisk egg whites until stiff and then gently fold into the fromage frais mixture using a metal spoon.

Crush ginger nut biscuits and press into an 8" (20 cm) flan ring or dish. Pour cheesecake mix over top and chill in fridge for 2 hours before serving. Garnish with grated lemon rind if desired and serve with fruit.

I tried the lemon mooses last year, had to put some servings into little plastic cups as it made so much! I must admit that they weren't the best tho.. Very 'foamy' if u know what I mean x

Sorry forgot the servings.

The cheesecake serves 8 and if you do sw is 5 1/2 sins per serving

The Mousse is just for one (although you could obviously add more ingrediets for more servings) and is Free on sw.

Slice them cover with water and bring to boil,simmer.Cool then drink as is or diluted.Great diuretic,will pee a lot but flush the kidneys and bladder.

I'll try the moose thanks,

Being a pre op person, 8 ginger nuts for an 8 portion cheesecake sounds like being mean. I think I would eat all the cheesecake, and polish off the packet of Ginger nuts while cooking. BAD TRISHA !!!

Lemon is lovely squeezed over fish, used to make a lemon sauce for chicken (yum), cut up to flavour iced water, salad dressing: lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar and the tip of a teaspoon of granulated sweetener.

Thanks Jane. I like this one

Bleach Hair - The all natural alternative to bleach is to use the juice from 1/2 - 1 lemon into your hair. Squeeze it directly into your hair. (Don't worry if you get some seeds in your hair. You'll rinse those out later!) Sit in the sun for 25 minutes. Shampoo and condition as usual. If your hair is light colored, you will see more blonde highlights. If you have darker hair, you will notice some nice red tones.

Just got to wait for some sunshine now :badmood:

For sure, I'd be either slicing them, soaking them in hot water and drinking with a little honey (vitamins and good for you) or I'd be juicing them and adding the rich lemon juice to a cookery dish... probably a stir fry or chicken dish...

Don't waste them Sal... they're vitamin C and let us know what you do with them.

Love and hugs and keep your hands busy... hope the non smoking is working out... xxx

Morning ladies - thank you so so so much for the ideas! Im actually going out soon so will have a proper nosey at what you guys have actually suggested and hopefully have a go at some of them tonight or tomorrow :)
Thanks again and I will keep you all posted :)

Salski x

Back