• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lightbulb moment?

Butterfly_lady

I expect its been asked lots of times before but was there 1 thing that made you say thats it enough is enough I NEED surgery - like not fitting into a plane seat or being asked to leave a ride, or was it more or a slow dawning?

my final moment was a trip to Italy in May last year. We had a special tour to the top level of the colosseum which isn't normally accessible. I huffed, puffed, had a job to climb it, could hardly breathe. The photo of my son and I at the top along with an awful photo of us at the Trevi fountain were just awful.

My son wanted to have a ride n a gondola. For me it was one of the most humiliating experiences and I was mortified. I came home and booked my consultation, 6 weeks later my band was in place.

To be honest I'd reached a point of surgery over 7 years before, my fear of anaesthetic stopped me,but knowing that I struggled so much on that holiday, struggled to fit into the tiny Ryan air plane seat home as it had the table in the arm of the seat so made it narrower I was thankful it was only a few hours!

I became very aware of people and comments the time we spent by lake Garda on the same holiday, and with my son heading to senior school in the September I was determined that he would not get bullied for having the fattest mum.

Last edited:
Mine was a frank conversation about my health with a friend, coupled with a truly awful photo my stepmum put on facebook. I realised I was killing myself by doing nothing.
6 weeks later I had my band:)

Attachments

• mms_20130730.jpg
    mms_20130730.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 131
Mine was on holiday too. Great Barrier Reef scuba diving. Had to use 15kg of weight to get my down. That was depressing! Came back. Had several consultations at different places, booked it and jobs a good un! X

The picture is Greek day at school!
Lol I know it's silly but I don't have many full length ones!

Attachments

• image-1223822777.jpg
    image-1223822777.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 130
Like Tk I was offered surgery years ago...I declined thinking Noooo I cant do this
But when you are starting to loose your mobility and all your joints are aching you have to face the fact that your overweight and need to do something about it

My main light bulb moment came when I went to The GP for blood tests and I was borderline diabetic...my life had to change..simple as that :/

I was offered to be referred in 2011, a had made an appointment with another DR and she kindly spoke to me about my weight and asked me to consider while she referred me as it would take months for the referral to go through. I was a adamant I didn't want it as I didn't want to 'lose myself' more than I already had with the depression. Then last year, I decided upon my self that it was the right time for me to try myself again, to lose weight.. This all started the procedure with weigh ahead and go referral to the gym, and in this time I decided I wanted to be referred again for wls, as I was ready to change my life for the better.. It took over 5 month to lose 1stone.. So I knew I definitely needed help..
My seminar is 2 weeks today and I'm counting the days!

Kirsty

OSA and work starting capability procedures.

my "lightbulb " moment started to twinkle about 4 years ago or so when I had a work related injury which cut a long story short ended with me having knee surgery leaving me with a walking stick . carried on feeling pain and feeling sorry for myself and piling on more weight then move to 2012 I was feeling so ill constant periods for weeks not eating or sleeping in the end forced myself to see the doctor who send me for blood tests for it to come back as possible ovary cancer. had every scan, blood test, crying my eyes thinking I was going to die thankfully it turns out to be massive cysts on my ovaries which are (fingers x)non caner ones but are the size of small oranges THAT was my turning point soon as I got the all clear I went to my gp and asked for wls .that clearly was the shock I needed and to change my life .still have regular check ups just to keep an eye on my lady lumps!

Last edited:
Being told that I had next to no chance of conceiving, and if by some miracle I did become pregnant, I would not carry to term. But in truth, this was not the day I realised I needed surgery, it was the day I realised I had to get serious about weight loss. I never wanted the surgery, and coming to terms with the realisation that it really was my best option was emotionally painful. Once I had decided to go for it, I knew I had to give it all I had.

It was a slow dawning for me. I'd had it in the back of my mind for years, after the GP mentioned it in passing. The idea grew (and so did I :(), and I finally decided I needed to take control.

I wasn't happy, I didn't want to be a size 18 again, and I was sick of yo-yo dieting. I saw photos of me earlier this year and hated them. I was so disappointed and angry with myself that I lost 3.5 stone and put it ALL back on, plus another stone for good measure.

For me, this is a long term life change and I can't wait.

I love threads like this!

I'm like others on here, knowing I should have done something years ago but not actually taking the plunge until 16 months ago. I had become fed up entirely and the weight loss of my best friend through bypass surgery told me it was time to do something. I was kidding myself I would sort it out using diet and reality is it would have just gone back on anyway. At the time I went for my initial consultation I was at my heaviest and it was time for something drastic.

I feel so different now, 6 stones lighter. It's wonderful, although hasn't always been easy. The mind is a complicated thing and associations with food and comfort eating are hard to shake off. Still, there's no looking back and I wouldn't change anything. Me and my band are doing great! ;)

i had been thinking about and researching surgery for years while trying numerous other diets convinced i would find one i could follow to goal and failing misribly.

2 years ago i got very ill and ended up falling downstairs when me knees gave way. i was forced to start walking with a stick, lived on pain pills and my weight went up even further before being diagnosed with an underactive thyroid

i was told i would be lucky to see my 40th birthday if i didnt make a change so i went to see my gp for a refferal for surgery. over a year later and im hopefully 5 weeks away from surgery

The decision was more or less made for me when the orthopaedic surgeon had to console me after telling me I would be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life if I didn't lose weight .. I was 27 & a half stone struggling to walk even with my elbow crutches, my heart was enlarged and showing signs that it wasn't coping either. I was only fifty years old & was distraught because I was about to become a granny for the first time and I was quickly falling to pieces. I could barely look after myself let alone babysit! He was brilliant with me and it was he who started the ball rolling when he asked if I had ever thought of surgical intervention. I replied of course I had but that my GP had emphatically ruled that out when I enquired about it five years previously. Any how he said that he would make enquiries on my behalf if I was in agreement. I was of course but really saw his offer as a need to get this pathetic woman out of his office haha. So much so I didn't even get remotely excited about it and just mentioned the conversation in passing to my OH. He got excited but I was all que sera sera and blaze as I honestly thought I was just being fobbed off again as usual! It was nine months later when I was sitting in the surgeons office for the first time that it really hit home that this was real. I have a lot to be thankful for ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 76
Mine was a frank conversation about my health with a friend, coupled with a truly awful photo my stepmum put on facebook. I realised I was killing myself by doing nothing.
6 weeks later I had my band:)

wow what a difference I would never have recognised you.

mine was a photo my daughter took of me which i was so shocked by that i burst into tears. think when we do the selfie thing we sort of know how to take a reasonable one but when faced with a realistic full bodied extemely ugly photo it shocked me into action.

i had been thinking i wouldnt have the op and would just try to do it myself (yet again) but this photo totally helped me to make my decision.

003 (2).jpg

My last yo yo diet ( lost 5 stone ) was one too many my body just started shouting out enough , I became house bound with asthma , the meds effected my heart , my knees hurt getting out of the sofa climbing the stairs . Work would have gone down the capability route but knew I could retire in6 month time . Gastric by pass 26 TH nov is saving my life

Went to my docs "enquiring" to then being put on a list, so the decision was made for me. I go from one fad to another so the fact I was in the system made me do it.
Helped by an endrocronologist who suggested it due to my PCOS.
I never thought I would be eligible. Didn't think I was big enough but I was one of the biggest in my ward.
12 stone 6 now and loving my bypass. X

Back