• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Lighterlife and Bypass (pre op)

Porpo

Hi,
I could do with some advice.

I did Lighterlife for a few months last year and my councillor has just contacted me to see if I want to go back.
I'm just waiting for a bypass op date but it is likely to be August (hopefully). Does anyone know whether its a good (or bad) idea to go back to LL for a short time before the op. Am just thinking it might get my BMI down a bit and make the operation safer??? :confused:
x

I think it really depends on which pre-op diet you are advised to do. If it's the milk and yogurt one I would stick to that - but if it's the low calorie one I don't see why LL couldn't be followed. You would get all the nutrients you need. Marion xx

Well I could start LL and then switch on to the pre op diet I suppose. I'm not sure when it'll be and at least I'd feel I was doing something. Just wondered if there were any health issues with dropping a lot of weight before the op. It should help with the liver reducing and the lower BMI too I think.

Porpo, I have spoken to Mr Dobbins about our pre-op diet recently and he said that it would be 3 weeks of the milk diet. However, it depends on how far you are with your application: has Mr Dobbins had the inter-disciplinary meeting to decide on your case yet?

I lost 7lbs between our meetings and Mr Dobbins began saying to me that I might not need the surgery! I got scared at that! However, your starting weight is higher than mine and I am not sure if you will get the same reaction! Loosing weight before the surgery is an admerable task as you will not only feel better, but your surgery will be safer!

That's why I wanted to do it to make it safer. It was not a great first consultation I had with him. He told me at length that he would not treat me or consider me for surgery if I gained any more weight and that he wouldnt have any excuses etc. I've lost 2 stone since I saw him in April though although I had lost more but have regained 5lbs this week. Thanks for warning me about the losing weight issue.

I think it will go down much better with him if you have lost weight than if you had gained weight!

He basically said the same thing to me. He said if I gained more than 7lbs then he would call off the surgery. I think this is a little more lenient than some other surgeons. I think your reasons for doing it are great! I found that he was really dismissive of my in our first meeting, however, when I went back he was really great and spent a lot more time making sure I was ok with everything.

I think losing as much as you can pre op has to be a good thing, but i'd be careful to make sure you have the funding in place before you start dropping weight rappidly, you dont want to turn up with a lower BMI and they refuse to do the op or fund you because you suddenly dont meet the criteria, i'd image once the funding was agreed you could then lose some weight before your op.

I'm not sure about LL as i've never done it, but i know others who have, one friend in particular has recently lost over 10 stone on LL in 10 months, so if you have the dispipline to follow the diet and then can maintain it can work ! Losing a stone or so pre op can only reduce the risk factors more, so in my opinion its a good thing to do.

Thanks for that, dropping a small amount of weight off has never been a problem. Keeping if off has always been a nightmare. I have a letter from the PCT agreeing the funding and also they have a record of my yo-yo'ing weight. I will go for it, at the end of the day if it means I can get through the surgery it's worth it. Its not like I'm going to be able to lose more than maybe a stone in the next couple of weeks.

Porpo, I got the impression that the first meeting is just a formality to get the ball rolling, and he cant be bothered to get too involved. I can promise you that the next time you see him he will be nicer!

How many tests have you had done? And which are you waiting for? I bugged and bugged them until I had appointments for all of them! The nurse (Linda) was really nice at sorting all my appointments out for me. Have you been to the WLS Group Meeting yet?

Sorry for all the questions! I am just really excited to know that there is someone other than me at Elland!

I think losing as much as you can pre op has to be a good thing, but i'd be careful to make sure you have the funding in place before you start dropping weight rappidly, you dont want to turn up with a lower BMI and they refuse to do the op or fund you because you suddenly dont meet the criteria, i'd image once the funding was agreed you could then lose some weight before your op.

I'm not sure about LL as i've never done it, but i know others who have, one friend in particular has recently lost over 10 stone on LL in 10 months, so if you have the dispipline to follow the diet and then can maintain it can work ! Losing a stone or so pre op can only reduce the risk factors more, so in my opinion its a good thing to do.

I don't have funding yet. I was told to lose 7kg before I could have the bypass, I'm nearly there. I'm doing it as slowly as possible.

I phone the bariatric nurse fortnightly with my weigh in. She told me not to worry about losing weight before Op, they take your insignal weight/bmi in to account when deciding if you get the op or not.

Surgeon and nurse said any weight lost would make the op safer to do.

I did the Cambridge Diet its similar to LL and I lost 9st in 9 months.

Just wanted to say my surgeon was okay with me doing the Cambridge diet for pre-op. I knew I wouldn't struggle with the pre-op as much as if I was on a low carb diet or the milk diet. And for work, taking 4 frozen cartons of CD was very helpful indeed. I was actually 4 weeks into CD before I got the news yesterday that my surgery which was due in 2 days is now postponed to early next month. I've taken a mini break to indulge my sorrows but I fully plan to resume CD for the next 28 days and this includes the two weeks pre-op. As SS says above, any weight you can lose pre-op can only be an advantage.

VLCD's like CD or LL are some of the most effective ways of reducing the liver. The liver reduction diet is not only about losing weight but about getting rid of glycogen stores in the liver so that the liver is limp and can be moved about easily. Ketosis (the effect that helps you to lose weight when doing LL or CD) happens after you've used up glycogen in the liver and muscles and that's usually in 2-4 days. I know that in the US for example, liquid diets similar to LL & CD are more widely used as pre-op liver reduction diets. It would be a good idea to take literature about the LL programme to your wls team and have then read the info so that they can give you informed advice about using LL as a pre-op diet.

I don't have funding yet. I was told to lose 7kg before I could have the bypass, I'm nearly there. I'm doing it as slowly as possible.

I phone the bariatric nurse fortnightly with my weigh in. She told me not to worry about losing weight before Op, they take your insignal weight/bmi in to account when deciding if you get the op or not.

Surgeon and nurse said any weight lost would make the op safer to do.

I did the Cambridge Diet its similar to LL and I lost 9st in 9 months.

Go for it then, you can only do good by losing weight pre op, and whatever method you use it really doesn't matter so long as your a bit lighter the day you get on the table, and well done you for having the right mental attitude too, even before the op your getting your head sorted the right way and making important life style changes, so many people stuff themselves silly right upto the op believing they will never eat again.

Pandora / Porpo,

I had my initial appointment with mr dobbins today at Elland too, for one reason and another it has been a drawn out process but i won't go into that. i felt exactly the same as you guys came out a bit deflated, so I am glad I am not the only one who felt that! ha! oh well glad things get better! I was thinking of joining lighter life first too just to shift some of the extra weight to make surgery safer..... anyway would be good to hear more of your experiences! take care xx

Hi,
I could do with some advice.

I did Lighterlife for a few months last year and my councillor has just contacted me to see if I want to go back.
I'm just waiting for a bypass op date but it is likely to be August (hopefully). Does anyone know whether its a good (or bad) idea to go back to LL for a short time before the op. Am just thinking it might get my BMI down a bit and make the operation safer??? :confused:
x

Hi there

I have asked this on another thread..I would like to know this too...My Cambridge counsellor has a client who is having a sleeve and is doing Cambridge prior to her surgery, but she got this approved.

I also came across a weight loss surgery clinic who actually give you their own version of liquid meal replacements but I can't remember who they were.

Milk does shrink the liver though so best to ask your team.

Good luck.

(((HUGS)))

Hi guys, Ive been on pre-op diet for last couple of weeks and although I have not been on the lipotrim diet for a few months I used some of the packs cos I thought it would be easier. Ive lost over a stone and feel better for it & of course lowered my bmi. I guess any weight loss before the op is good and helps to focus your mind for after the op as well.

Hi guys, Ive been on pre-op diet for last couple of weeks and although I have not been on the lipotrim diet for a few months I used some of the packs cos I thought it would be easier. Ive lost over a stone and feel better for it & of course lowered my bmi. I guess any weight loss before the op is good and helps to focus your mind for after the op as well.

Thinking about this and came to the conclusion that Lipotrim or Cambridge should be ok as they are milk based...(well dried milk, but milk all the same)

(((hugs)))

Hi there

I did the cambridge diet for the pre-op (which is identical to lighterlife - - I've done both). I didn't fancy milk and yoghurt. It worked well and was absolutely fine.

Hope that helps
yoyo
x

I think any weight loss before op is a good thing and will make it easier for the surgeons to work. Also one of the girls I spoke to lost 3st pre op on the milk diets, as in all is 6 weeks at luton and a 1000 maintenance in between the 4 and 6 weeks She was 17stone to start but had her funding so go ahead lose what you can, and if worried speak to your bariatric nurse for advice good luck

Jay xx

Back