• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Likely rejection

I don't post here much anymore but NICE issue "guidelines"...they are not rules and hospitals are able to add there own extra criteria especially if budgets are tight. My local hospital was BMI of 50 with co-morbs or 60 without. This is why I went overseas. I do remember from reading lots of posts that WLS is notoriously difficult to get in Scotland and many of the people that have been on here at various times went private

I don't post here much anymore but NICE issue "guidelines"...they are not rules and hospitals are able to add there own extra criteria especially if budgets are tight. My local hospital was BMI of 50 with co-morbs or 60 without. This is why I went overseas. I do remember from reading lots of posts that WLS is notoriously difficult to get in Scotland and many of the people that have been on here at various times went private
I too have heard that WLS is difficult in Scotland and I recall someone saying there was an age cut op of 49 which would have ruled me out. It is so frustrating as I believe NHS rules should be standardised through the whole UK

I'm not going to give up but NICE guidelines don't apply the same way in Scotland as the do in England. I researched the equivalent in Scotland which is SIGN which do say that a BMI of 35 and above and one or more comorbidities to qualify for wls.

I received another quote today. Same surgeon, same hospital but £1000 cheaper. Still out of my price range though.

@Sarnie it was the GP that said this. She said that's why they only operate on people would have a condition that would be 'cured' by surgery.

@Emma1504 I'll give contacting PALS a go. Thanks!

Yes I hadn’t considered that, thank you and hope your doing good x

I too have heard that WLS is difficult in Scotland and I recall someone saying there was an age cut op of 49 which would have ruled me out. It is so frustrating as I believe NHS rules should be standardised through the whole UK
Completely agree, it is ridiculous that it varies so much. I would also have been too old for Scotland. The funniest thing was sitting in my chair in the hospital post surgery and picking up a voicemail from my local hospital dietician...thanks but no thanks x

I've decided to get the surgery abroad with either Dr Tamer in Egypt, Irmet Hospital in Turkey or using the site Get Slim inTurkey. After talking to some other people trying to get surgery in Scotland with no luck, I've decided my health is too important to wait around and I need to be proactive so I'll start saving and hopefully schedule the op for the beginning of next year.

Thanks for all you help and well wishes xx

I've decided to get the surgery abroad with either Dr Tamer in Egypt, Irmet Hospital in Turkey or using the site Get Slim inTurkey. After talking to some other people trying to get surgery in Scotland with no luck, I've decided my health is too important to wait around and I need to be proactive so I'll start saving and hopefully schedule the op for the beginning of next year.

Good luck to you and sorry you are having to fund yourself xx

Good luck sweetheart sorry you have to fund it but it really was the best money I ever spent xx :)

It’s such a shame you have to fund this yourself simply because of where you live but I admire you for being determined to go ahead and fund yourself, keep in touch we would still live to follow your journey x

Back