• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liquids Stage - how did you get your 1.5 - 2 litres down?

Samsara

Hiya - I just wondered how you found getting 1.5 - 2 litres of fluids down post op? I'm really struggling - it hurts :( I'm sipping really slowly. I can't do water and I've tried to drink squash so many times in hospital when I couldn't keep anything down I'm now sick of it and can't face anymore. I managed two 200ml glasses of crusha milk yesterday then it started to hurt so I stopped. I'm trying a milky coffee now. I assume my sleeve is still quite swollen and I just wondered if anyone realistically managed to get down those volumes of fluid or whether they pushed through the pain to do it?! Or will pushing through the pain result in vomiting? Can I do damage to my sleeve by not drinking the required amount? I said I'd stick to the rules religiously but maybe I was being a bit optimistic having reached my first hurdle! Thanks guys :eek: x x x

Last edited:
you will be able to increase it in time, s/f ice lollies are a great help, yummy too :) just keep sipping, you'll get in more than you think, good luck :) xxx

Nope I couldn't. Just sip constantly throughout the day. Like Caren says it gets easier x

Oh and if it hurts stop. It hurt me when I tried to gulp not sip. You may find it easier with warm drinks, tea or Ribena? I had hot choc and slim fast too.

At this stage hot might be better than cold. Might also be easier if you do it like a kid and use a spoon - might help with small sips which don't hurt.

Its super grim for the first week or two, but keep at it, you literally have to be sipping all day. Dont panic, it will get easier. I still find cold drinks difficult, hot drinks seem much more soothing.

yep sip sip sip away... i always carry a bottle with me when i go out..

I couldn't get anywhere near enough in to start with (still probably dont!) but found hot drink (well- warm) the easiest to get down and anything with milk in felt smoother somehow! In these first couple of weeks it seems all you do is try and get down enough liquid and enough food, but it passes.....honestly! I've only just been able to start drinking plain water again without irritation now (10 weeks post op) and had nearly given up trying again! Stick with it and try different things again periodically, sounds like your doing well though. x

Hi guys, I'm at exactly the same stage - now officially sleeved & just had dietitian chat about the liquid phase, so this post is v useful for tips etc. I've been told can have fromage frais & complan drinks - has anyone tried them & do they taste nice? Was tempted by strawberry, but hate slim fast shakes.

It's quite hard learning the art of sipping after a lifetime of gulping! Only managed 1 cup of tea, 1 bowl of consommé & a glass of water so far today, but only taken off drip at lunchtime.

Hi I find hot drinks a lot easier, or "cold" drinks at room temperature are ok. I got told to try and get the liquid as close as you can to your mouth then then avoid swallowing air. Not sure if this helps but I still try! It does get easier.

I struggled with drinks that were either too hot or too cold. Room temperature or just above was easiest for me. What really helped though was using sippy bottles with those drinking nipples on them. For some reason known only to a top psychologist I couldn't keep it out of my mouth LOL

I found it really hard for the first several weeks, but as others have said, kept a sports bottle with a sippy lid by me at all times and just kept sipping all day. I did not get anywhere near the suggested amounts down initially.

It really does get better as things settle down.

It is so hard in the beginning, warm tea and room temp sugar free ribena were the only way I could get anything near enough fluid. You will find as the swelling goes down you will be able to take more. Just keep trying.

I struggled in the beginning too, every time I drank anything it hurt. I'm drinking no added sugar squash with water which is ok but I can't drink plain water for some reason, as it makes me feel sick. Does anyone else have a problem keeping down water? It does definitely get easier as the swelling goes down

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I'm really struggling to drink too (6 days post op) and I know I'm no way drinking enough :(

I hope it gets better! x

Me neither and I think that could be why I have had no weight loss for a week or so. It's probably cause I 'm constipated. But room temp liquid is easier to get down than cold liquid

It does get better girls. I drank tea, oasis, and made myself clear soups. Chicken and parsnip was a favourite of mine. I'm 8 months in and it does get better.

Me neither and I think that could be why I have had no weight loss for a week or so. It's probably cause I 'm constipated. But room temp liquid is easier to get down than cold liquid

I find room temp liquid better too. When did you have your sleeve? x

It does get better girls. I drank tea, oasis, and made myself clear soups. Chicken and parsnip was a favourite of mine. I'm 8 months in and it does get better.

Thank you incognito x

I find room temp liquid better too. When did you have your sleeve? x

I had by my sleeve done on the 13th of May. I started my weight loss journey in January and in total lost 4 1/2 stone, that includes post op loss. Things were really hard at first and I have made a couple of small mistakes since having the operation (eating to much etc) but for the most part things have gone smoothly! What about yourself?

Back