• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liver reducing diet - alcohol

I was in such a tizz when I spoke to my co-ordinator on the phone i cannot for the life of me remeber her instructions for the pre-op diet. She told me that my surgeon preferes the milk pre op but for some reason i have written down that i need to do this for 2 weeks. I don't think thats right. Is it ten days? and do you feel like utter crap on it? god help the people that work with me! I did ask her if i could just do slim fast but she said no.

Look at the liver shrinker as the start of the new you, be strong and deny your inner cravings for the last time ! post op you wont have the same cravings and if you follow the advice and rules set by your consultant you wont be hungry ! - remember its only a week or 2 of your life ! :eek:

:break_diet:Ok - I know i really know the answer to my own question but i start my liver diet in about 10 days. I have however got a massive night out planned with my friends on day 5 and although we wont be drinking hard or all night (theatre first) i would like to have a couple of glasses of wine - do you think i could do this and be ok for op?
Isn't this a bit of a no brainer ?? Alcohol, Liver your choice I know but............. :eek:

Ta very glad
Dale

Isn't this a bit of a no brainer ?? Alcohol, Liver your choice I know but............. :eek:

Ta very glad
Dale

Hi Dale

No the liver shrink thing is to reduce the amount of fluid in it so it shrinks and the surgeon can move it out of the way, though i'm not sure how it works if you go on a liquid only diet !

Alcohol and liver damage are another story ! ;)

no the milk diet is for 2 weeks, i did mine for 10 days due to xmas and new year, but officially they prefer 2 weeks, i did NOT feel hungery on it at all, mine was 3 pints milk a day, and 2 mullerlight yogurts. comes to approx 800 cals.

Liquids flush through your system faster then solids hence the milk diet is the prefered choice of most surgeons

Silver Surfer - I think that there are quite a few people on here who have eaten a low fat, low carb diet for pre-op liver shrinking. It works just as well with a friend of mine losing just over a stone on her pre op.

Regarding the drinking, I'd suggest speaking to your surgeon. I can't see that one or two drinks would cause much harm (vodka and diet mixer) but I would check just to find out for certain.

Silver Surfer - I think that there are quite a few people on here who have eaten a low fat, low carb diet for pre-op liver shrinking. It works just as well with a friend of mine losing just over a stone on her pre op.

Regarding the drinking, I'd suggest speaking to your surgeon. I can't see that one or two drinks would cause much harm (vodka and diet mixer) but I would check just to find out for certain.

Hi Cat

I dont doubt that there is a food diet out there for shinking the old liver, its just a subject never discussed here before ! mine was a soup and milk shake diet which equated to 800 calories a day

As for drinking whilst on the liver shrinker - well i considered it a no no - by that stage i'd made a commitment to myself and those supporting me through that i was going to succeed, and how the hell was i going to make it through the many months ahead if i couldn't resist a few drinks out !

I only really drink alcohol now socially and in moderation.

I did 2 weeks on the milk diet all over Xmas and I have to confess I was too sacred to deviate at all from it in case the surgeon could not do the op properly. I felt great and not hungry at all and if I felt that there was a 'do' that I had been invited to (over xmas there were plenty!!) which would make things difficult for me, as I hadn't told anyone what I was planning, then I opted out rather than put myself under extra pressure. The liver diet works by removing the glycogen store from your liver and i have no idea what effect alcohol has on this but I would check with my surgeon before risking spoiling all my hard work.

Back