• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LONG TERMERS ALL SURGERY TYPES come on in say what you want or need

No..they haven't suggested it,I have discomfort daily but the spasms when I've been bending etc

Given they have tried scans and have not found any answers surely that ought to be the next step - or am I being too simplistic? When you had the scans were you suffering the symptoms at all?

Sorry for firing lots of questions at you!

TBx

Given they have tried scans and have not found any answers surely that ought to be the next step - or am I being too simplistic? When you had the scans were you suffering the symptoms at all? Sorry for firing lots of questions at you! TBx

That's what I am thinking,on both occasions of the CT scans my spasms wasn't present,
I've got an appointment mid February,so I'm going to try and induce my spasms.
So I can go in with them,but as we know doctors don't like to be told anything.
And I'm convinced I have something that is trapped/twisted when the spasms happen.
P.s I don't mind the questions :) nice to chat x

One thing I remember you saying is that your restriction is quite tight. Do you still make sure you're eating slowly? is there any link to eating, or do you wake up with it?

Hi there, just been reading this thread and thought I would respond - have they checked to make sure it's not gallstones as that can create a pain quite high up near the bottom of your rib cage.

I am nearly 7 months post op from having a sleeve. I am really glad I have had my surgery although it has not been as I expected - the weight loss doesn't seem as dramatic as I expected and some months I lose very little whilst other months a lot more comes off (and I can't work out why), however when I look at my overall weight loss since surgery it's already 73% of my excess weight and I am now one and a half stone from my ideal weight. I do wonder whether I strangely had the expectation that I would have surgery and the weight would suddenly drop off which would never realistically have happened and I would never have been able to lose the weight I have in such a short space of time if it wasn't for the surgery. The thing I love is being able to go into any dress shop now and try on clothes because I know they have my size. The restriction of my sleeve is a lot less now than when I had the surgery and I think if I don't make the right choices food and exercise wise the weight could easily go back on. Anyway I am probably rambling away now so I shall stop xxx

One thing I remember you saying is that your restriction is quite tight. Do you still make sure you're eating slowly? is there any link to eating, or do you wake up with it?

I wake with the discomfort it's just there niggling in the background all the time.
And then spasms on top when I've been in a position of bending,sitting,stretching...it's just strange.

One thing I have learned and no disrespect to doctors - they do not know everything and some of them need to learn how to listen. This is real and genuine pain for you and they should listen to you and work with you on this. Is your GP supportive? I wonder if the GP could approach the hospital and suggest they admit you for a few days so they can observe what happens?

It only takes one doctor to see it who may know what the cause is exactly. It happened with my mom. She was ill for years - in and out of hospital. On the last occasion she was in we thought we were gong to lose her. She came that close. One of the doctors on the ward round took a particular interest - and went through all her notes and spotted something that everyone else had missed. He got some additional tests done to be sure and he was right. If he hadn't she would have died. The treatment she had to have once they realised what it was was straight forward and it means she has to take particular medication for the rest of her life but it saved her.

Do not give up hope - but you may have to be prepared to fight hard with them.

TBx

Hi there, just been reading this thread and thought I would respond - have they checked to make sure it's not gallstones as that can create a pain quite high up near the bottom of your rib cage. I am nearly 7 months post op from having a sleeve. I am really glad I have had my surgery although it has not been as I expected - the weight loss doesn't seem as dramatic as I expected and some months I lose very little whilst other months a lot more comes off (and I can't work out why), however when I look at my overall weight loss since surgery it's already 73% of my excess weight and I am now one and a half stone from my ideal weight. I do wonder whether I strangely had the expectation that I would have surgery and the weight would suddenly drop off which would never realistically have happened and I would never have been able to lose the weight I have in such a short space of time if it wasn't for the surgery. The thing I love is being able to go into any dress shop now and try on clothes because I know they have my size. The restriction of my sleeve is a lot less now than when I had the surgery and I think if I don't make the right choices food and exercise wise the weight could easily go back on. Anyway I am probably rambling away now so I shall stop xxx

Thanks for replying..yes forgot to mention I was also checked for gallstones...nothing

I wake with the discomfort it's just there niggling in the background all the time. And then spasms on top when I've been in a position of bending,sitting,stretching...it's just strange.
I've got no idea :( I wonder if it's worth getting a second opinion from another bariatric team?

I think a 2nd opinion may be your best option Emma you cannot carry on like this. There is no need for you to be living with this pain and I know how bad it can be, thankfully mine are not every day but bloody painful when they come, I cannot find any rhyme or reason they just happen. Worth trying for a 2nd opinion xx

I not sure what to say or start though..and even know I'm frustrated with this pain and the doctors,I know they have done the tests needed so far.
It's just unfortunate I'm not in the spasm whilst having the tests done,as I'm sure it would be picked up.
That's why I'm going to push myself on next appointment to bring one on.

Of course Paula x

If you could be in spasm at the time yep that would be the best way for them to see how your body is reacting, its the way forward for you I am sure. xx

Long termer here or in most fora means anyone post op for a year. Welcome come on in

Emma wait until you have another episode, go to A+E and refuse to leave. In my recent problems no-one could give a toss. Given I sit on most major NHS committees and knew most of the A+E doctors many would say my problems would be a major thing for colleagues. Really I would say why would or should they be? I am just Jo Public outside of my job. At one point the A+E doc said that i was a complete mystery but really best to go home and see what happened. Know what I was so submerged in the NHS mentality I did just that. 2 weeks later my cousin rang (yet again) and found me 3 stones lighter after 4 weeks…not normal she screamed leave it with me. Luckily despite my saying oh for goodness sake don't make a fuss, despite being a "moved on NHS consultant" she ignored me and did but first ran it past her clinical colleges in Sweden. The rest is history. This is a 'new' discipline, many medics haven't a clue. Shout out your problems be insistent, its a bummer but who will do it if you don't? It may not be a good move as they may not treat you right but really its your health, your life. Fight

Always here if needed

In order to get a second opinion approach your gp first - he can refer you and will need to apply for the funding. You may then have a fight on your hands with the ccg to get that funding, but it can and has been done. Alternatively, many bariatric teams will take private consultations if you don't want to wait whilst going through NHS hoops. Also make sure that if you do go to A&E, you are taken to a hospital with a bariatric team and preferably not the team you're not happy with!

hey everyone, thank you for your replies.

Some of my habits have crept back in and I'm trying to keep them in check. I find that when my days are mostly at home (my degree has slow days and fast days!) I eat more and when I'm out the house, I can more easily control what my intake is!

Think at the moment I'm mostly having trouble with starting to not feel pretty anymore because of my excess skin (no 23 year old should ever look like me naked!) and that my weight loss rate has slowed so I'm not getting positive reinforcement on the scale at all now either. Feel like I've been lost to follow up slightly as I haven't seen anyone from the bariatric team since 4 months post op. Seeing them tomorrow so I'm hopign that they'll say my weightloss is as expected (66% EWL since surgery) and that I just need to keep on track!

Does anyone know what the expected weight loss is for sleeve gastrectomy in year 1-2 post op? I know that our rate of weightloss is slower than with the bypass, but are we expected to still lose after a year? Any help is appreciated!!

Hi every body hope it's ok to join in . In 15 month RYN . I'm about 6 pound away from my goal of a healthy BMI . To be honest I'm probably their with the excess skin . Don't get me wrong I'm so thankful for the surgery it really has saved my life , but my two years with my team are nearly up and then it back to my GP . Honestly I haven't seen a dietician since I was 9 month and a medic at 8 month , I did have to have appendectomy at 10 months and whilst their they had a good look inside and I had a phone call at 14 month from dietitian . .i I try to keep up with latest developments and research as my GP not that interested . I have gone back to slimming world as I need to keep the weight constant . I have a heart condition the last thing my little ticker need again is to yo yo . So bounce back weight worries me .. Any advice support
Ok two day and no reply !
Any one out their ?

Last edited:
Back