• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers - ABC of wls

Such a difference !
Our hospital have no support meetings , the one I GP to is just a few of us who meet for coffee , I don't really get much out of it . When asked if they would come to the meeting the team declined

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using WLSurgery

That's terrible. Thank God for this site!

I am just frais of NHS cuts in the future!?

They cannot cut them entirely. Especially as the need for these ops is rising

Sadly Yve its just not possible to say what and where they will cut next. I'm just back from a day of meetings to try and 'Vision the future' which boiled down to the fact that our area alone is forecast to be £16million overspent at the end of March 2013. We have been told there is no NHS fund to bail this out hence the need for visioning - the buzz word that finds favour this year.

The real purpose was to persuade us to stop referring people and prescribing expensive drugs. Plus here is the new deal 'risk stratification' and cost/benefit implications. Every procedure is weighed against proven benefits and cost saving projections. Using example of wls case could only get high enough up the funding tree if there were multiple existing co-morbidities which had not already caused massive deterioration in the patient e.g already has knees that are needing replacing as these would be regarded as a continuing health need and expense not solved by wls so lowers score - did not score high enough for funding. At other end of the scale if you were BMI 50 but not yet developed any co-morbidities data sets not long term enough to show you will definitely develop them and therefore costs not able to be defined so you guessed it would not score high enough for funding. Also any group has to be weighed against all other groups who may score better and higher. I came away feeling we were just going to see the NHS shut down locally until March with no-one apart from those who became emergencies getting through.

Its a blooming minefield. Still we are manfully doing our bit we attend all the meetings and try hard to make what savings we as a practice can but drops in ocean comes to mind.

M

Whilst I'm in the mood for posting (can you hear that tune in the background .....I'm in the mood for dancing...no well never mind) here are a few more As for our series

A is for Attitude - Have you got it right? No disrespect to anyone but haven't many of us been very very large and often we adapt our attitude to that. As an example some feel they must not be too loud and stand out as their weight makes then so much more open to criticism from ill informed people anyway and they don't want to attract attention. Has your attitude changed now? Does that change bring problems with it? For many it does. Relationships can be affected and friendships lost. Were you, are you prepared for that and have you any tips for others?

As you get further out attitude becomes important in so many areas of the wls journey. Now I know many don't like the 'diet' word. How many times do you see posted I am never going to diet again, I am a total failure at dieting etc. Well my argument is that 'diet' is just a term for a food approach and eating plan. You may feel you failed, for gawds sake how many of us didn't, you don't get large without that to some degree. BUT and here is what I think is the long term kicker we have to get this attitude changed. Bypassers will see their restriction lessen the further out they get but those like me will also see their attitude needs changing and I really struggle with that change do you?????

I find I have to accept my bypass and restriction very mid fully some days if that makes sense.

I've been signed off by the hospital dietitian at 1yr post op, but was told if I needed help they'ed be at the end of the phone for me. In the mean time 6monthly blood tests for another 1-2yr's then annual checks from there on out.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Certain foods give me more restriction such as carbs, bread does it for me thats why I like it toasted plain bread is not good fro me. xx

Attitude - I did a lot of researching & hard thinking pre op & felt that this really helped get my head in the right place. I wasn't as prepared for my partner's attitude. I felt that now on reflection I kinda forgot about wht he might have to go through. Feel a bit selfish now & trying to work on it. What I hadn't realised was he has seen an enormous change in me on the outside & I look totally different. Because it has happened so quickly it has shocked him. He doesn't think my personality has changed. I'm still me on the inside. He is slowly catching up with the changes & loves & supports them especially my new fitness & mobility. I do feel a bit funny when people say it doesn't look like me anymore or I would never ave recognised you etc but I am so happy with my weight loss - no regrets.

in some ways i am glad i had no partner to consider in this , just my kids . my eldest tells me she can't get away with so much now as i am more assertive lol ( a good thing for me , not so much for her )
now that i am a fair way into my new life i would like someone to share life with , they won't be subjected to the major changes as i have been through that already

Back