• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers - ABC of wls

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm feeling REALLY anxious today about putting any weight back on and am scared that I'm going to end up like I was before. I know what not to do and so on, but it doesn't half pray on my mind.

Another A - Alopecia (Hair Loss)
Common with all types of WLS - usually seen in first few months, often rights itself, lack of protein, iron or zinc often quoted as causes. Various anecdotal cures quoted but most doctors & dietitians do not scientifically know for sure.

Indeed alopecia. My hair only fell out on one side, strangely enough. Still hasn't grown back properly..thinking I might get it all cut off and start again.

How far out are you wibble? On my phone so can't see your stats.

I am days away from being a year out, and tbh having a ball. I am scared of regain because I am so happy to be slim and want it to last forever!

Good for you Marie have you lost it very quickly? Are you guna be able to maintain a steady weight do you think or do you think you will keep losing thta does happen sometimes, You have lost a lot of weight more than me n I am 1yr 2 months post and was slightly heavier than you at the start. I am wel gel of you. xx

Ah bless, thanks. Yes I lost most of my weight very quickly. I had my op 19/11 last year and had lost almost all my weight by June. I have lost 2lb in the last month, though, so still losing, albeit slowly. I would like to lose another half a stone but I was out last night in a size 12 dress and looked great! If I stay like this I am a very happy bunny! I could probably lose the rest very easily but I don't watch what I eat. I rarely dump so can eat almost everything. I don't eat bread, pasta rice etc nor pastry. Everything else is ok in moderation. I usually have between 1100 and 1300 cals a day. I don't make any special bariatric friendly foods as I decided early on, I didn't want to be hampered by my bypass, I wanted it to make me normal. I still weigh every day and if I ever put on I would do something immediately. It truly is the best thing I have ever done. I am sure you will get there in the end, I read another post you wrote about not being where you want to get to. We were told we could potentially lose for up to 2 years. You are still only just over half way through that time, what do your team say?

Ah bless, thanks. Yes I lost most of my weight very quickly. I had my op 19/11 last year and had lost almost all my weight by June. I have lost 2lb in the last month, though, so still losing, albeit slowly. I would like to lose another half a stone but I was out last night in a size 12 dress and looked great! If I stay like this I am a very happy bunny! I could probably lose the rest very easily but I don't watch what I eat. I rarely dump so can eat almost everything. I don't eat bread, pasta rice etc nor pastry. Everything else is ok in moderation. I usually have between 1100 and 1300 cals a day. I don't make any special bariatric friendly foods as I decided early on, I didn't want to be hampered by my bypass, I wanted it to make me normal. I still weigh every day and if I ever put on I would do something immediately. It truly is the best thing I have ever done. I am sure you will get there in the end, I read another post you wrote about not being where you want to get to. We were told we could potentially lose for up to 2 years. You are still only just over half way through that time, what do your team say?

Saw them at my check which was 9 months post op next app is Jan. xx I don't regret it but still working hard at it and will be happy around 13 stone. ta xx:wave_cry:

The dreaded hair loss which seems to cause so much concern early out but its such a well known side effect of rapid weight loss, not just wls, that you wonder why people are so surprised. As Bellydancer says it appears that none of the things that people try and seem to feel useful have any real firm support or foundation, its just time that 'cures' it, it seems. I used Selenium tabs to strengthen my hair which was luckily very thick but it got considerably thinner for 6 months but then grew back to its old thickness.

Now here is a side topic that occurs to me and right up front let me say this is not a swipe at pre-oppers just an observation after 5 years on this and other forums and something I'm interested in. It seems to me that there is much less self research on wls done overall as time has passed. Originally, here especially, the forum was small with most people fighting for their op and having to research to understand why it was for them and how they could use their research to pull their case together for funding. Now although there are some similar cases it seems the pathway to the op can be more straightforward and does the information come solely from what the individual surgical teams provide?

If this is the case then this would seem to strengthen the need for a long term section here as the information and aftercare from a lot of teams ends at 12 to 24 months if it even goes that long. Going to need to get that info from somewhere and places like this help to signpost where and what is normal.

Oh crickey another soapbox moment better get on with the day but just a thought

M

My team were fantastic in their care. Their diet sheet was comprehensive and useful. I still learnt most of what I know from this website and others. I use a lot of facebook support groups as well. I just don't think a follow up every 6 weeks to 3 months can provide the expertise and support necessary for such a big life change. But equally, we are not medics - I think our role as supporters and supportees is just to react to individual situations.

I'm wondering what is the rule regarding aftercare at the hospital you have your op done.
I mean I'm 2 yrs 3 mths now,I've an appointment in December but wonder if I get seen again after that...just a thought

Emma I thought when we 1st went to see consultant that I was told that we would need check ups for life, did i just imagine that? i would think when you are 2 years post it owuld go to yearlybut will have to wait n see. x

I think this is where the NHS can win hands down over private. Never had a moments follow up arranged by my surgeon. Now I have read others have had some but can only record my own experience. I chased and chased and finally saw him at 12 weeks. He said it would all then be arranged , nope. Booked myself again and again apologies it will all be different next time ......nope not a word. Given up and as usual trying to make my own arrangements to keep healthy. One of them being trying to get more long termers interested in posting on here.

M

Well in that case we will persevere on here and make it jolly well happen this time CCPM. I know its shocking having to pay all that cash privately I know it gets you sorted quicker n maybe a private room but if there is little or no after care then it really is shocking. I was just reading bout poor lady on here who has a gastric baloon inserted privately and they have gone bust who is going to remove it and give her aftercare? It is shocking really shocking, I know that a lot of people haver had good results going abroad but what aftercare package do they have? I do not know I had to await almost 2 years for my op but you know I was as prepared as I could be. Only last week I was talking to a lady who paid just under 12,000 for bypass and she like you was having to try and get aftercare appointments after paying all that cash and she said because it didn't take her long to get op privately she wasan't mentally prepared for it and has since struggled quite a bit because of this not having a lot of time to prepare and mull things over. I know everyone of us is unique, n thank God for that but for some it is so difficult. x Lets keep these threads going!! This is wheer we get valuable information by sharing our experiences wether they are good or bad. x

I learnt mist of what I know from here & my own research , in fact I did all that for about a year before I decided on the op , when I had my first consult they were surprised how much I knew . I was done on nhs & had a 6 week check up ( with consultant ) , another at 3 months & 6 months with dietician . I will have my last one with dietician at a year , from then on I was told yearly bloods at GP .

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using WLSurgery

I too was told my aftercare is for life (NHS). Todate it has been fantastic. I also want to give back something so try to attend the support groups to help with my experience for others. I have volunteered to the team to talk at one of the groups or pre op seminars if they need me. My team have suggested that I write a book given my profession as a Food Scientist but not sure I could actually do this as I have no writing/ publishing experience. Also guys my team also said that whilst obviously our aftercare is very personally important because the medical community are still learning about bariatric surgery, it is still a young science, they need us as case studies to learn about long term effects etc. so we re aiding valuable research into weight loss surgery. We must all try to support this.

Such a difference !
Our hospital have no support meetings , the one I GP to is just a few of us who meet for coffee , I don't really get much out of it . When asked if they would come to the meeting the team declined

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using WLSurgery

Back