• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long termers - ABC of wls

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Here we go then I was thinking last week you really need a book that gives you the A-Z of weight loss surgery of all types. How many threads do we see posted that say what is this how do you do that etc.

So today is the beginning lets see what we can produce starting with A

A is for anxiety
These anxieties are very different for pre-op to early post op to longer term people.

Pre-Op
I remember pre-op all my anxieties were based around the op itself. Firstly would I be too big to be done keyhole. Amazingly only 4 years ago there were more restrictions on when you could have this done and many more people had open operations. I had already lost over 10 stones before deciding On surgery and was 21 stones 5lbs at the date of the op just scraping in below the 22 stones at which the op was more expensive and more likely to be open. Next anxiety would I survive the op, well at 55 I decided I wouldn’t be living that much longer at over 20 stones without it so best get that out of my head. Other anxieties at this time were would I have a catheter (yes no problem they put it in when I was under I was anxious they would do it while I was awake), would I have a naso-gastric tube…a conversation with Mr Somers saw that one dealt with. Strangely I wasn’t anxious about the pre-op diet if someone tells me a thing has to be done I will do it so managed that one.
Post op –Early days
Am I losing enough weight quickly enough. Who doesn’t get anxious about that. Unfortunately for me having list 10 stones prior to the op it meant my losses were slower but 9 stones left in the first year and the remainder in the next year
Long term Post-op
Anxiety is ever present and growing. Regain is the most constant fear. It happens so easily for me I can eat anything and in increasingly larger quantities. More on this subject later (when we get to B for boredom and R for regain see there is a long term plan here). Other anxieties are what the future holds, wls is still not really a long term study in the UK or anywhere there is not yet 30-40 years of information. As such I am keen to read what other long term bypassers are experiencing to help me watch out for problems and how to avoid them. Finally I’m anxious to make the most of this later life opportunity and get to grips finally with new things and really living a life not just existing.

Sorry this is not meant to be just about me but rather I’m stuck with using my feeling and experience to try to start a discussion which could help us all. Post up your thoughts on anxieties what they were and are for you. How could others help you deal with them?

MOST OF ALL COME OUT AN POST EVEN IF IT IS TO SAY FOR GAWDS SAKE GET BACK IN YOUR BOX

M :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
i was really worried i wouldn't wake up after my op i wrote all my 3 children a letter and my hubby :) but i knew same as yourself i wouldn't live much longer without the op so had no choice x they told me one day Angela you just won't wake up so that's A for Angela and anxiety :)

My anxiety at the minute is my future health...

Strange as it seems but I had my bypass to improve my health and fitness and just have a better quality of life.
My bypass has certainly given me a new lease of life,my confidence has grown,I play with my children(even go up slides!)and lots lots more...
My health has changed,I can ride a bike,I'm not out of breath just walking or doing my shoes up etc.
But ......my tummy troubles worry me now,something I never suffered from before I was replumbed,and I'm vitamin deficient in several levels.
So I'm very anxious what my future holds at times,but on saying all this...my bypass was the best and bravest thing I've done for myself and would do it again if I had too x

Anxiety :Maybe that I will be one of the unlucky ones that this bypass won't work for.All the failed diets over the years hasn't helped,at this early stage,(two and a half weeks post op)I would say that this is my anxiety at the moment.probably have plenty more in the coming months !!!!

That's for certain anxieties seem to keep coming for many of us its threads like these that let us see that is often all they are. When you see others posting that they felt the same and did this or that and have achieved loads then you start to feel your anxiety easing.

Good luck

M

I think my worst fear is my weight stopping where it is, I am still an 18-20 and way just under 15 stone. still have a way to go but don't look that bad some people that look my size are lighter. I am frightened of the regain side of things a few months down the line and think I would be exstatic to get to around 13 stone. Any less than that and I will look ill. I look very tired at the moment and the weight loss can be seen around my face particuklarly around my moth little lines have appeared, my sister has commneted never really bothered me till then, now I am aware of them, and having sensitive skin and allergies it is difficult to find things that suit my skin especially to hide the black rings or bags which appear under my eyes when I am really tired. My stomach episodes worry me and sounds silly but am terrified incase i develop gallstones, my mam and one of my 2 sisters has had them, both had gall bladder removal. Soooo many things worry me but try to keep a lid on them but at least we have somewhere to come now and speak them out xx

i think chrisa because of rapid weight loss at lot of will get gallstones, i am seeing a surgeon on 15th to get date for mine :( i'm not happy a hns surgeon has to do it not me bariatric one mr Kerrigan but he has fallen out with my provider hospital Gravitas no longer exist and he has started a new company Pheonix but i can't use him because it was spire that were given the funding not Gravitas :( i am worried about it because before they fell out he had told me he was best one to do it due the changes in my anatomy and they wouldn't be keen to do it.

angiemason said:
i think chrisa because of rapid weight loss at lot of will get gallstones, i am seeing a surgeon on 15th to get date for mine :( i'm not happy a hns surgeon has to do it not me bariatric one mr Kerrigan but he has fallen out with my provider hospital Gravitas no longer exist and he has started a new company Pheonix but i can't use him because it was spire that were given the funding not Gravitas :( i am worried about it because before they fell out he had told me he was best one to do it due the changes in my anatomy and they wouldn't be keen to do it.

Hi angie,

This has been another of my concerns you mentioned here "changes in anatomy"
I've put of having a little op done at my local hospital as I was worried about their lack of knowledge.
I was proved right when I had a scan done on my adomenon and they said.... Oooh what's this?
I had to give them a short lesson on my surgery.
And they then replied with "when will it get removed"... !! Oh my god this is a hospital doctor!...
This is why we need this site(and this section)so we are armed with knowledge of our own bodies.
Because many doctors/nurses haven't a clue!

Not sure if I really count as long term although I am six months post op. My biggest fear is still the battle in my head. I don't think its about food or regain as much as it is being in control of my behaviours and building new patterns. Its been so obvious this half term as every night we've sat to watch a film and I've munched. And I paid the price. It was too easy - it drives me up the wall when I see a newbie say 'I'm having the surgery because I can't diet'. How can you let them know that the battle is still the same battle? I win some battles - lost quite a few last week, but seem to have kickstarted myself. But I worry that the endless battles will lead to me losing the war.

Yvessa we definitely need to help each other even if it's just a kind word or not so kind sometimes :) but i know i would be lost without this site unfortunately there aren't many DS'rs on here so i find it worrying sometimes if i have a problem like my tummy pain, gallbladder op, deficiencies etc and can't compare to bypass band etc x

See I originally had my heart set on the DS. And I was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't do it because they had too many patients with deficiencies post op. I came round to the bypass. What are they doing to help you with the deficiencies?

not a lot at the moment :( as you can see from a previous post i've had trouble with my surgeon and his differences with Spire hospital Blackpool so the two year care i was supposed to get from him is no longer, i have appt at blackpool on 22nd for bariatric team and week before for gall bladder removal :( but as far as i know none of them do the DS so not even sure they know what they're talking about x will let you know though :)

I hope they get you sorted. In the meantime, could your gp not give you loading injections just to boost your iron etc?

i have iron pills from gp just difficult keeping levels steady and am on other tabs that counter act the iron but need them for my rheumatoid arthiritis so don't want to not take those x anyway i'm sure they will have to sort me out :)

Eeh we all have our problems ladies don't we some we feel like they will never end and we will never be in control of them we are lifes plodders and will get there in the end, perseverance is the name of the game, its all the other crap we deal with day in day out which adds to complications and makes our choices and decisions even harder, leaves us little time to enjoy our lives sooo much to do and soo little time to fit it all in xx

Yve you are so welcome this long termers section is to dicuss issues that are more as you get further out but no time frame for joining in and reading or whatever. A sort of different set of things to post about and discuss apart from preparing for the op, getting funding and coping early post op. Your post about half term really sums it up it is not so many pounds gone for ever, we are not magically transformed from the people we were before wls. As you get further out the honeymoon glow wears off you realise this new relationship with your surgically adjusted body is for life more so than a marriage as divorce must be easier than a ***** revision. Talking about things with others is a great way to learn new coping mechanisms, see potential problems to avoid and just get a different perhaps more informed kind of support although obviously all forms of support are always welcome. So dive in and join us in building a new area for the forum and hopefully one that will keep people around and add value.

M

If we stick together and use this it will stick around and become of greta use to all those who need help and advice post op xx

Back