• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers-What % of calories are absorbed ?

emma-louise

my new life!!
Something I've tryed researching is what percentage of calories are absorbed into our bodies after 2/3 years and over after having gastric surgery?
I know our bodies adapt and do absorb calories after a while.
But do they absorb 100% of ALL calories after the honeymoon period has gone.
Does anyone know?

I'm newly post op but my surgeon said it stops after 18 months to 2 yrs post op but what I don't get is if that's the case why do we need to take vits or have high amounts of protein for the rest of our lives? shouldn't that stop too. strange and doesn't seem like a fair deal

I'm newly post op but my surgeon said it stops after 18 months to 2 yrs post op but what I don't get is if that's the case why do we need to take vits or have high amounts of protein for the rest of our lives? shouldn't that stop too. strange and doesn't seem like a fair deal

Yes I've wondered why calories are absorbed but
Nutrients from food aren't so the need to take vitamins.
Can anyone help with this?

Hi to all,

This is something I saved off the web awhile ago. And I believe absolutely that it remains to be true. Run it past your surgeon if possible. But it makes LOADS of sense to me! :)

The rate of absorption/malabsorption depends on how much of your intestines is bypassed. Also, most of the important nutrients such as vitamins and minerals are absorbed in the bypassed intestines, so this is an issue with all GBS patients.

That's why you need to take vitamins and minerals as supplements for life.

So, it's best to follow your intake and output with a system that has been developed with the bypass surgery in mind, not the conventional diets that are geared for those who haven't had surgery.

That said, the rate of absorption also changes--our bodies are miraculous when it comes to "recovery", while you are early out, the rate will be true to the area bypassed, but as time passes, and the years go by, the remaining intestines will "recover" some of the loss, so you will absorb more than immediately after surgery. However, most since vitamins and minerals need special enzymes and agents to be absorbed and utilized that are are produced mainly in the lower portion of the stomach and the duodenum, this malabsorption will basically remain the same for life. It's the absorption of protein, fat and carbs that recovers, though not completely.

Cheers

I am absolutley convinced that my body clings onto and uses every last minuscule part of each and every calorie ! Hence the big stall xxx

Hi to all,

This is something I saved off the web awhile ago. And I believe absolutely that it remains to be true. Run it past your surgeon if possible. But it makes LOADS of sense to me! :)

The rate of absorption/malabsorption depends on how much of your intestines is bypassed. Also, most of the important nutrients such as vitamins and minerals are absorbed in the bypassed intestines, so this is an issue with all GBS patients.

That's why you need to take vitamins and minerals as supplements for life.

So, it's best to follow your intake and output with a system that has been developed with the bypass surgery in mind, not the conventional diets that are geared for those who haven't had surgery.

That said, the rate of absorption also changes--our bodies are miraculous when it comes to "recovery", while you are early out, the rate will be true to the area bypassed, but as time passes, and the years go by, the remaining intestines will "recover" some of the loss, so you will absorb more than immediately after surgery. However, most since vitamins and minerals need special enzymes and agents to be absorbed and utilized that are are produced mainly in the lower portion of the stomach and the duodenum, this malabsorption will basically remain the same for life. It's the absorption of protein, fat and carbs that recovers, though not completely.

Cheers

I've tryed researching everywhere to find out exactly how much we eventually absorb,regarding calories.
I've been unable to find my answer...
At the minute my restriction is still fantastic,my meal sizes are small.
I hardly eat carbs and eat good protein,
I do have a sugar in my coffee...water intake could be better,and do not drink alcohol anymore.
The past year I haven't lost any weight,and somehow managed to gain half a stone.
How can this be??? I ask myself..
I eat less than my 5 year old..
So this is why Im wanting to know what % of calories we absorb.
It feels like I'm going to diet for the rest of my life!

i remember hearing 30% thrown around somewhere, but can't tell you where from. Also can back up Benrese's post - this is exactly what I was told. Just as a blind persons other senses function better, our gut will try to compensate, but can't compensate for everything.

i remember hearing 30% thrown around somewhere, but can't tell you where from. Also can back up Benrese's post - this is exactly what I was told. Just as a blind persons other senses function better, our gut will try to compensate, but can't compensate for everything.

I've looked around on USA sites and still unable to get an answer.
I actually wonder if surgeons know to be honest.

I think as well it may be a very individual thing.

That's true. As they say even early post op calorie absorption varies dependant upon the amount of intestines bypassed.

I think they only did 1 inch of mine lool

That's true. As they say even early post op calorie absorption varies dependant upon the amount of intestines bypassed.

I think they only did 1 inch of mine lool

That's what I understood too,but also I thought surgeons have a certain length they like to bypass and this applies to everyone,otherwise it can cause problems in the future.

That's what I understood too,but also I thought surgeons have a certain length they like to bypass and this applies to everyone,otherwise it can cause problems in the future.

Nah. I read it depends how much they feel you need to lose to get to a healthy weight. Everyone's is different. My BMI was 38/39 by the day of my op. I think they hardly bypassed any! Lol!

Nah. I read it depends how much they feel you need to lose to get to a healthy weight. Everyone's is different. My BMI was 38/39 by the day of my op. I think they hardly bypassed any! Lol!

Mine was 50.1
Now it's 30 (last time I weighed)

Still no luck in finding my answer to % amount

Here's a post from another forum

"First of all, it depends on how much intestine was bypassed. The most common type of RNY is a proximal (there is also distal, and something else I can't remember). With a proximal RNY you malabsorb around 400 calories per day. Supposedly that 400 calorie deficit is what's called the "honeymoon period". Eventually, our bodies adjust, and we don't have the calorie malabsorbtion anymore. However, the vitamin/mineral malabsorbtion is forever"

Also on that forum there are quite a few people who have said that their surgeons have said the calorie malabsortion is a myth. There is also an Admin who is a DR and he said our bodies absorb 100% of the cals after bypass :S

Here's a post from another forum

"First of all, it depends on how much intestine was bypassed. The most common type of RNY is a proximal (there is also distal, and something else I can't remember). With a proximal RNY you malabsorb around 400 calories per day. Supposedly that 400 calorie deficit is what's called the "honeymoon period". Eventually, our bodies adjust, and we don't have the calorie malabsorbtion anymore. However, the vitamin/mineral malabsorbtion is forever"

Also on that forum there are quite a few people who have said that their surgeons have said the calorie malabsortion is a myth. There is also an Admin who is a DR and he said our bodies absorb 100% of the cals after bypass :S

Wow! Thank you so much. It's so conflicting. Everything to do with bypasses is :(

Back