• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Loosing weight pre-op

sweetquietjox

I know this might sound silly but do we need to loose weight before we go to surgery?
If the answers yes, how do we do it? as the reason im having the op is because i cant loose weight, i've tried every diet going. So them telling me i need to loose weight before surgery is alittle pointless, if i could loose weight i wouldnt need the surgery, right. :confused:

A lot of hospitals and surgeons do like you to loose some weight before surgery. They dont always give you a certain amount to loose, but some do. It shows commitment and you really have to do your best as I know at least one hospital wont put you on the list for surgery unless you loose a specific amount of weight! XX

Wow, the reason i'm here is because i cant loose weight, hope my hospital isnt so strict but i will put 100% into trying to loose some.
Thanks for your reply Jacqui

I know this might sound silly but do we need to loose weight before we go to surgery?
If the answers yes, how do we do it? as the reason im having the op is because i cant loose weight, i've tried every diet going. So them telling me i need to loose weight before surgery is alittle pointless, if i could loose weight i wouldnt need the surgery, right. :confused:

hi,

when i went they gave me a weight loss target of just 7lbs which i achieved by just trying to cut down on the stuff i know is not good for me. it might seem impossible to you at the moment but its not we all have problems losing weight or we wouldnt be here but have a little faith in yourself. not to dis hearten you though when i had my weigh in to see if i had lost the amount they had set me they told me that they would not put me on the waiting list and would cancel my op if i put the weight back on so this kinda keeps me going. we all have bad days and its not easy but you will be able to do and everyone on here will be here to support you if you need it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement perkyprincess, i will do my best. x

Hi, I've had to see a dietician twice in the last month, she gave me a diet sheet to follow and then a couple of weeks (each hospital has a different time) before your op you will be put on a liver shrinking diet. Once you have a date for your op you will be motivated to lose the weight, I can't stick to diets but have managed this one and have lost 1st 2lb in 5 weeks, I start the liver shrinking diet on Wed. Hope this helps x

Well done, thanks for your input.

Hi my thought exactly i failed to meet my 5kg target last wed at appointment and have been giving another chance to lose it and go back in 3 months.

I am on orilstat and have asked advice from dietician to get stupid SW and WW out of my head she sent me some sheets through post yesterday so im hoping i can stick to it ok. x

Jo I found SW the easiest diet I was ever on and lost weight as long as I stuck to it. The problem isn't usually losing weight...it's keeping it off.
It's very important to realise that WLS is a tool and not a magic wand to fix your eating habits. Sooner or later you will work out how to cheat the surgery, be it bypass, sleeve or band, and if you haven't got your head around some healthy eating, the weight CAN be regained.
This isn't to make anyone feel down or to put anyone down, but it's very important to have realistic expectations.
I'm almost 4 months post by-pass now and my dumping has lessened a lot recently. This week I've really struggled with old, bad eating habits and craving 'naughty' foods. If I don't put this right now and nip it in the bud, I will sabotage my surgery. It can be done, people have done it.
So if you haven't been given a weight loss target, please don't use that as a reason to be complacent. Really try NOW to begin to tackle the emotional and psychological reasons why you have weight issues. It will help you so much in the long run.
Grace xxx

Jo I found SW the easiest diet I was ever on and lost weight as long as I stuck to it. The problem isn't usually losing weight...it's keeping it off.
It's very important to realise that WLS is a tool and not a magic wand to fix your eating habits. Sooner or later you will work out how to cheat the surgery, be it bypass, sleeve or band, and if you haven't got your head around some healthy eating, the weight CAN be regained.
This isn't to make anyone feel down or to put anyone down, but it's very important to have realistic expectations.
I'm almost 4 months post by-pass now and my dumping has lessened a lot recently. This week I've really struggled with old, bad eating habits and craving 'naughty' foods. If I don't put this right now and nip it in the bud, I will sabotage my surgery. It can be done, people have done it.
So if you haven't been given a weight loss target, please don't use that as a reason to be complacent. Really try NOW to begin to tackle the emotional and psychological reasons why you have weight issues. It will help you so much in the long run.
Grace xxx

I do realise it is a tool. SRH might not be too happy i'm taking orilstat now to help me lose weight but if i can manage to lose it for next time round using orilstat then its just as good as im proving i can work with a tool in my opinion.

Sorry i shouldn't assume everyone has the same feelings towards the groups as me. WW i find is better for me as it offers more choice but i only joined them 2 times in my efforts but SW many more times but i only do green days as i dont like much meat. To be honest i have only ever lost 12lbs in my life so im not a person to have problems keeping it off just get bigger. (believe it or not im always at one group or another, but not now) I mean i can't get those groups way of eating out of my head i have forgot what to eat as a normal diet! Just gunna try doing it the nature intended way if ya know what i mean lol

Been like it since i was little baby always the fat twin so im ashamed to say the only reason im big is coz i eat too much, altho i admit feeling down about yourself can make me eat more.

p.s on a high note i lost 2lbs when i got weighed this morning :Dxxx

Back