• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Losing too fast?

Eve30

Hi all- I had my first dietician appointment on Wednesday and she shocked me by saying that 5.5 stone is a bit too much loss for 17 weeks post op and as I only have 7 lbs left tk lose they feel I'm not eating enough. I was thinking the more the better! She went through my eating patterns and realised I'm only having half the amount of protein per day that I should be. The next evening I went out to eat with friends and I thought ok I will increase protein and I had a chicken soup and half hour later some chicken and was then sick (first time being sick). I know I shouldn't be sticking only to soups and softer foods but its easy to eat and proper meats and chicken are so hard to eat. The dietician even called the surgeon in to talk to me as they said its unusual to lose almost all the weight by 17 weeks. I want to keep losing but need advice on how to increase protein and also how to increase liquids? Thanks

Hi Eve well done on your fab loss.

You do need to get yourself off the soft foods. I have been sick a lot on dense foods but I'm learning.

I don't stress about protein too much but you could try chick peas, cheese, shakes, milk powder to add to things?

Good luck x

there are some great protein drinks out there already made up without high carbs, I have brought some weider body shaper drinks for when I've had my surgery. still only 145cals and 25grams of whey protein......delish !!!!

Thanks!! I have yoghurt in the morning and scrambled egg or cheese at lunch and 2-3 cubes of chicken or 1-2 small meatballs dinner time and the dietician said I should be havi g double but I'm full so I don't understand it!

Thanks!! I have yoghurt in the morning and scrambled egg or cheese at lunch and 2-3 cubes of chicken or 1-2 small meatballs dinner time and the dietician said I should be havi g double but I'm full so I don't understand it!

Hi Eve

Yes that really does sound like a very small amount of food four or so months out. If you can't take it all in a meal, eat more regularly, so say six times a day so you are spreading it out to get the food in. You need food for nutrition remember, so you need to get protein first, veg next then carb if there's room. I make sure I have my three meals a day and then snacks of say protein in between. And keep your fluids up. Good luck. Take it easy x

Thanks- it's so hard to know that it's not enough when it fills you up! I'd like to know how you measure your fluid intake? Do you count each time you drink? I find I have no idea if I'm having enough

Yes I know - that's why breaking it down over several meals may help x
I just make sure I have a drink 7-8 times a day. So half an hour before breakfast, half an hour after breakfast, then one mid morning, then half an hour before lunch and half an hour after, mid afternoon, one either side of dinner and then one at bedtime. It's just habit now. I drink mugs of tea or coffee (decaff) mostly as I'm no good with soft drinks, although I always have a bottle of water on the go aswell. I know if I have a cup of tea I will finish it. x

Eve the problem with losing it too fast hon is that you will be losin lean muscle not fat. When you body is unable to break down any more lean muscle your organs will start to deteriorate - the body needs a certain amount of energy to break the fat down. More meals is a good idea and at four months you really need to be moving to more solid foods. Try things like casseroles to help with the transition.

I'm 15 wks post op from a bypass and 2lbs short of 4st loss since op. I take in about 500-690(trying to up this) cals a day with a minimum of 60g of protein. I eat 3 meals but if my protein is under 60g I will have snacks that day.
I do weigh out everything I put in my mouth to make sure I'm eating enough and if I'm full after a couple mouthfuls I will give myself a break for about 10-15 mins and go back just so my protein intake is right.

I use a 1 litre water bottle to measure my fluid intake and refill it as needed

Thanks Yvessa :D

Thanks for the tips. Of course I only want to lose the fat and I am on solid foods- I had some chicken tonight but could only manage 2 cubes! Does anyone have examples of what 60g of protein would be over a day?

One of my days copied from my fitness pal

Breakfast: 100g of fage yoghurt 10g protein and two strawberries 0.4g protein
Lunch: 100g chicken breast cooked in gravy(onions,tomatoes etc) 30g protein
Dinner: 2 bacon medallions 9.4g protein,1 egg 6g protein
snack: 30g cheese 8g protein
snack: babybel light 5g protein

about 68g protein

Thanks- it's so hard to know that it's not enough when it fills you up! I'd like to know how you measure your fluid intake? Do you count each time you drink? I find I have no idea if I'm having enough

iv made a chart mon-sun and then put 1-8 across each day, then you just tick 1 off each time u have a glass through the day, it might work for u x

Eve what are you having with your chicken? Just wondering if you're filling up on veg/carbs?

I can manage 80g in one sitting but I have to go slow. I just have a few mushrooms or 1/3 courgette. X

Victoria I'm having salad with it! I'm sure I could manage more if it was on its own but they told me I should be having salad and even carb with the protein at a meal! I'm so confused!
Funky thank you that's a good idea I will be trying that this week! And care bear that looks like a great day of meals..hope I can get there

But how much salad Eve? Why don't you try doubling the protein you eat, eat it really slowly and then if you have room have some salad?

Eve how do you know you're full? I'm asking because its possible to confuse stuck with full.

Yvessa I have this feeling that I'm stuffed and can't move and if I eat more I'm scared I would be sick. I have approx 3 tablespoons of lettuce salad usually with it. Last Thursday we went out to eat and I tried to have a soup and half hour later a starter and I was sick(first time)

Eve I think for the time being actually don't worry about carbs and veg. If you take a teaplate aim for 1/2 protein, 1/4 veg 1/4 carb. Eat the protein first an if you can't manage the veg and carb just leave it. Some days I still can't manage it. I get the sense your protein/ veg ratios are what's setting you back.

Back