• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medical alert bracelets

excitedbutnervous

Was looking on another site today and by all accounts use sleevers ought to have medical alert ID bracelets as if they incubate they could damage us internally because of our very tiny tummy's.

Does anyone else know about this, or even have one?

Was looking on another site today and by all accounts use sleevers ought to have medical alert ID bracelets as if they incubate they could damage us internally because of our very tiny tummy's. Does anyone else know about this, or even have one?

I had bypass.. I know i should get something.. At least a card from my team to keep it in my wallet.. Oh well dont have anything.

I had bypass.. I know i should get something.. At least a card from my team to keep it in my wallet.. Oh well dont have anything.

I have an iPhone and I have put the medical details in that (there is a place that medical staff can get to even if phone is locked)

I have a Medic Alert necklace and wristband. I joined the Medic Alert site as they hold my emergency contacts and my doctors information as well as all my medication. Mine says Gastric Bypass, Avoid NSAIDs and Blind NG tube

Lynn x

I am thinking of doing something too. It's playing in my mind a lot x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I don't see why we need it on a bracelet, if your incubated the tube doesn't go into your stomach just your throat. Plus it'll be on our medical records anyway.

I don't see why we need it on a bracelet, if your incubated the tube doesn't go into your stomach just your throat. Plus it'll be on our medical records anyway.

I am not sure either. I guess if it is an emergency they won't have access to our records. Perhaps I should ask the surgeon.

My op was an MGB or mini gastric bypass, essentially a sleeve with a bypass. I just had to contact my provider as I am about to have a hip replacement. I have been told even a tube is not a problem. Of course, I should inform them of my op but as far as they are concerned there is nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks weegie good to know :)

It is fine if you are having pre-planned treatment, but mine is in case I involved in a accident. When I walk the dog or go to work I don't usually have any ID on me, so they would have no access to my records, they also hold my next of kin details. An NG tube goes into your stomach, it is not the same as intubation.

Lynn x

You are motivated with an endotracheal tube to keep you breathing g during an op, it goes no where near the stomach

Confused even more haha

You are motivated with an endotracheal tube to keep you breathing g during an op, it goes no where near the stomach

One would think if we need to wear a medical alert bracelet or similar then this would be communicated by one's team as part of the discharge information.

I know someone who had a seizure during a routine op and had to be resuscitated, not a wls patient though but this was on my mind as she was in the same hospital.

I also had to ask for similar advice when I had my band, for a different op, other than having a 2ml unfill in advance and informing the surgeon, there was no specific advice.

Yes it is confusing. :| though I specifically asked them about if there were problems during my op and a blind NG tube was required.

Last edited:
I certainly think it is a personal choice rather than a necessity. Mine is purely for my own peace of mind, not for routine admission to hospital, I can tell them myself...but in case I am involved in an accident.

Lynn x

I suspect it's related to the risk of them accidentally intubating your oesophagus and they then listen with a steth to check placement as the whoosh a puff of air down (this is usually more common in an emergency situation. What's actually more of a problem is blind NG tube placement which is sometimes necessary for a long procedure to drain stomach acid and the other bits (NSAIDS etc) as well.

I know that where I work there are a couple of the anesthetists that will only use a et breathing tube, and not one of the other types that we have. I also know that some of them when they know the patient has had bariatric surgery of some discription there is a pieace of kit that lets them see on a screen as they are placing the to see any obstacles etc, so they are keeping the patients safe.

Back