• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

medway kent area

hiya bex yaaay thats good :) i picked st richards in chichester, still a way to go for me, but such a good hospital so iv heard! :) x

funky24 said:
hiya bex yaaay thats good :) i picked st richards in chichester, still a way to go for me, but such a good hospital so iv heard! :) x

I called them on Thursday to find out wait times- they defo seemed the nicest and most on the ball! But- its 2 +hours drive and I just don't think I can handle that journey after the op! Plus the pre op appts... I'm waiting to find out the wait times from kings...
What are your wait times now? X

Suwiexx said:
I'm Gillingham start my per opp diet tomorrow and opp on the 24th oct x

Hi Suwiexx, what hospital are you under? Not long to go now then :) how long has it taken from when you first got your funding agreed?
Bex

Hi Bex

What list of hospitals do you have to choose from ???

Nicky xx

Chelsea & Westminster, guys & st Thomas, homerton, imperial college, kings college, Luton & Dunstable, st George's/Ashford & St. Peter, university college London, st Richards Chichester, Whittington,

Phew!
I did try to cut & paste the letter but it wouldn't work hence the very short abbreviation above- hope that helps!
I'm still at the beginning of working out where to choose- a none of the above are anywhere near me in Kent :-( want to go to st Richards but 2 hr drive is not great!

How are you getting on with your journey?
X

I'm at imperial kings but its a new building at st Mary's nr paddington I had my funding agreed April 2011 but I think cis they moved it took longer. I've heard very good things about Chichester and that they have 18 month max turn around from funding agreed to surgery x

I am at St Georges in Tooting, its has taken rather a long time, i was referred in November 2010 and i only got my operation in August 2012..
I think they might be catchign up now but not sure how long the waiting list is.. The only good thing is that i had my operation in St Anthonys, Cheam a private hospital :) ..
The reason i chose St Georges was logistically it was the easiest to drive to and i didnt have to use the train.. Plus it is easier to get to london hopsitals if you needed lots of appointments, chichester is a bit of a trek...

Nicky xx

I think kings have a long wait, well i got funding in march was in touch with hospital april/may time, got my first letter mid june, offering me my first appointment for end of august and mr slater said that day im looking at 3 months, so should all be done end of november time :) i agree the 2 hours is a trek etc, especially after op, but from mine london would take 1hr 40 so not much difference, plus think driving in london is a nightmare! lol! well good luck what ever hospital you choose, sure you will pick the one that works out right for you xx

thats a long pre op diet suwiexx....what hospital are you under? Im not far from gillingham, good luck with your op, are you having band? bypass? sleeve? x

In at the imperial weight loss centre at kings cross but they have recently moved to st Mary's hospital at paddington. The dr told a few of us to do 4 weeks on the pre opp diet x

I am one of the people who probably needed 4 weeks on pre op diet, i had 2 weeks lost a stone but my liver too large when they tried to to do bypass so have got a balloon to lose a bit more weight then they will try again..

Nicky xx

The main thing about choosing which hospital to go for, is finding the right one for you.

You need to take everything into account - journeys, do they have gowns to fit, do they have scales that will weigh you...(I heard that some hospitals dont even have scales that go up to the right weights!)

Do your research - read the forum. Everyone who has started their journey thinks that their choice of hospital/surgeon is THE best one - and quite rightly so, it is for THEM.
At the same time, dont be afraid to ask questions.
Once you're into the research, one will shine through, and you will know which one to go for.
Good luck!

I'm in Gillingham and chose kings x but didn't account for how much the train there and back would be and it's £35 a time and nearly 2 hours with changes and tubes x

I chose Guys because its right next door to London Bridge station, but got shipped over to their sister hospital St Thomas' and then I was outsourced to the Princess Grace in Cental London and a right pig to get to.

Yeah think train to chichester is about 20 quid! but i think from my place, its about the same to london, and i would soooo get lost in london lol! :) xx

Well I've called round a couple of "contenders" and Chichester seems to be the best in terms of wait times, service and accessibility so far!
I've got apt with my doc on Wednesday to confirm my decision and I think based on everything I've done this morning Chichester wi be the one for me!

Although kings/st Thomas are not too bad as the crow flys for me, their wait times are bad (18 months) plus if I get moved then I would not be in any better position than if I stuck to my instinct and went to Chichester so I think my minds made up! Thanks for all your input :) x

Back