• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Men - what to take

Retfordmag

Seems like most of the posts in this forum are from women, so as I am due my op in a month I thought I would try and find out what the men on here took with them

For a 4 day 3 night stay I took enough clothes for every day plus my dressing gown., only ever used two sets due to being connected to a drip three days.

Also took my laptop as the hospital had Wifi and my mobile. I didn't take a phone charger as I used the laptop to charge the phone.

for a 4 night stay I took Pyjama bottoms and 2 x loose t-shirt, (only wore these the first night before the op) light dressing gown, saves everybody staring at your arse because :massmoon: the gowns not big enough!
I was in a gown from the morning of the op until the day I left. Decided against the 4 day rotating pants procedure and took clean ones for each day :).
Toothbrush, wash gear and shaver etc plus a decent towel
Phone and charger. Took a mouth spray although hardly used it.

wonder if my hospital has free wifi?

thanks for advice guys, nice to see from a blokes perspective

I was lucky that I got "outsourced" to a private hospital on the NHS.

Don't know if any NHS hospitals offer Wifi, although depending on your phone and provider you may be able to teather your phone to the laptop.

I'm going to The Thornbury. A private hospital in Sheffield.

I'm guessing as you've been outsourced to thornbury they will have wifi. Most private hospitals do...check with twinkle (Denise) as her op was there.

Where did you have your op Jo, since you were under Mr Ackroyd too

Just up the road at the Claremont...he did twinkle on the Monday n then me on the Tuesday :)

Will ask her, thanks Jo

I was looking on the Thornbury website earlier, it looks very nice from the outside, like an old country house hotel...you know the sort where you can have a wedding.

And as for what to take, I always have dry lips in hospital so I'd suggest a lip balm or small tin of Vaseline, and something to read!

As I said before make sure your knickers (or pants in your case lol ) or what ever u prefer lol ;) are 100% cotton or u may end up with paper ones or none eekkkk lol x good luck xxx

You dont actually need as much as they say you do. I took underwear, socks, Washing/shaving kit with general toiletries such as tooth brush etc. antibacterial wipes & hand gel. dressing gown & slippers (a must), phone, magazines, clean clothes for when you leave and that was it. dont bother with pyjamas, as they make you wear a gown and surgical stockings, that compulsory. I was almost 30 stone and they found one to fit me. all the best. Kim

How do you get outsourced ? If you don't mind me asking ?

Sheer luck. I think it was due to the end of the financial year and and my funding was already available.

I am not sure if they were allowed to carry the money forward or not.

For me. Was referred to Sheffield Northern General Hospital. The consultant there seems to do all his ops at private hospitals.

I had my band fitted at thornbury it was very good staff were fantastic but had it removed at northern it was just as good except for the waiting to go down for surgery was last on the list
Mr ackroyd did both ops he was fantastic and his team were brilliant
Hopefully having either a bypass or a sleeve with him not worried as he is very good and both places we're great
my band ate into my stomach wall no fault of anyone's just happens From time to time

Maphillips said:
I had my band fitted at thornbury it was very good staff were fantastic but had it removed at northern it was just as good except for the waiting to go down for surgery was last on the list
Mr ackroyd did both ops he was fantastic and his team were brilliant
Hopefully having either a bypass or a sleeve with him not worried as he is very good and both places we're great
my band ate into my stomach wall no fault of anyone's just happens From time to time

Oh sounds gross....here's hoping it doesn't happen to me!!

Back