• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk diet????

AngieBu

Hi all, I have my first appointment with the surgeon next Friday at Walsall manor and have been doing lots of research about the options available to me. I seem to be leaning towards the bypass but was wondering if you could all tell me a bit more about the milk diet as this is confusing me as not everyone seems to have to go on it. Thanks.:)

I'm starting this tomorrow I have been told I can have

5 Muller lite yogurts
2 pints semi skimmed milk
2 oxo cubes
Lots of water sugar free squash/fizzy tea & coffee

Hi all, I have my first appointment with the surgeon next Friday at Walsall manor and have been doing lots of research about the options available to me. I seem to be leaning towards the bypass but was wondering if you could all tell me a bit more about the milk diet as this is confusing me as not everyone seems to have to go on it. Thanks.:)

Providers differ Im afraid... some do milk, some do low fat yoghurts/soups etc... but I had a bypass 3 weeks ago (St Richard's Hosp, Chichester) and went on the milk diet for 2 weeks.

I drank 4 pints of semi-skimmed milk a day (mostly I heated it up in the microwave and had coffee as I found it more filling drinking it hot!)... with plenty of water (I added sugar free squash)... and then had a sugar free jelly in the evening. I couldnt face the stock cubes (too salty for me!) but the nurse said just lick your finger and dip it in salt regularly.

I found it hard at first, but after day 3 it got easier as you get into a routine etc. After the end of week one, I was counting the days but did it. On the morning of my surgery I got weighed and I lost nearly 2 stones on the milk diet. THAT cheered me up no end!

Good luck x

Thanks both, that has cleared that up for me. I can't suffer semi skimmed milk so will be hard but making coffee with it sounds good. Another question to ask the surgeon.

Angie I'm from walsall too! :) I did the: 4 WW soups 4 muller yoghurt 1 multivitamin For 12 days...lost 13lb pre-op I was offered just low fat/low carb but I had a choice. Sam x

Hi there, I was given a low fat/sugar/carb diet, but I could also do the milk diet if I wished. Mine was 2 yogurts and 3 pints of milk per day. Hope that helps. Good luck xxx

Hello
I did the milk diet for one week prior to having a band fitted..It was really hard as I don't care that much for milk I was told to have 2/3 pints of SS milk and one or two Muller light yoghurts
I lost just under a stone in one week :)

It does change all over the place im afraid so its hard to give you a definitive answer. Im having a bypass on the 12th nov and have been on the milk diet for 10 days now.
I must have:
4 pints of semi skimmed milk
1 salty drink (oxo cube)
2 pints of other liquid
(Water, sugar free squash/fizzy/tea/coffee)
And extra liquids too
Im allowed 1 sugar free jelly and up to 3 sticks of sugar free chewing gum a day but that is optional.
Im not allowed any food whatsoever.

Its bloody hard work! First 3 days were incredibly hard because I just wanted to eat. Day 4-5 the real hunger pains kicked in and since day 7 I have been fine. Its routine now and I get full on the milk really easily. Ive lost 10lb in 10 days. 4 left :)
I have found it easier to cut out all food than to cut out some like other diets ive tried. If I had to choose, id choose this all over again :)

Thank you all for your response's. I now have a better idea of the milk diet and can question my surgeon about it all for better clarification. I just hope now my surgery date isn't too far away, just want it done now.

Agree with what everyone is saying here. The first few day are the worst and don't be tempted to sneak a little bit extra sugar or carbs in there once you get by those days as this will set you back to square one as regards craving carbs ;)

Hi Angie. I agree with what has been said already here really. It is important not to look on the pre-op as being a diet per se ... It is for medical reasons to shrink the Liver so the surgeon can get at your stomach easily as the Liver has to be hooked out of the way using a device attached to the operating table (you will have a small incision in the middle just under your boobs).

You must stick like glue to the LSD prescribed to you (like all aspects of WLS, I would advise not challenging or contradicting your team's advice, as they really do know what is best for us and any attempts at 'cheating' or 'tweaking' may not be wise). The consequences of not shrinking the Liver sufficiently are a damaged Liver, an open incision or no surgery at all.

I did four weeks on four WW soups, four Muller Lights and 500ml of semi a day. It was a challenge, but nothing compared to the first few weeks post surgery. I had my bypass nearly four months ago and can now eat most things but not much of them. I have lost five stone (in real terms size 22/24 to 16/18). I'm thrilled - best decision I made.

Good luck with your journey. We are here to support, listen and answer any questions. I am excited for you x

Back