• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Milk is making me ill

Serapis Bey

Hi in 2 weeks out of the bypass and on free liquids for another 2 weeks.

I can not abide the taste of milk or creamy soups anymore. Having it in teq, coffee, any hot drink or as a milshake doesn't help.

Complan and slimfast also have a bad effect on me.

I've noticed that whenever I drink milk (lacotofree) I have the runs and feel sick all night. I dont have bad reaction to soya and rice milk but am finding them unpalatable.

The only milk base product I like is actimel, I am drinking the regular one to try and get enough calories in.

How do I get enough protein at this stage without drinking milk?

Help!!

I can no longer have milk either. I use oat milk and protein supplements.

I had something like a milk intolerance very much around this stage too... I changed my diet for a few days and for me, I reintroduced milk very slowly... I'm ok with it again now... it's a strange thing how we can enjoy things one day and the same thing the next day can make us feel sick. I've just been reading the book from hospital and it does say to expect this... I hope you will feel better very soon... I bought soya milk but couldn't tolerate that either and all I could do was leave it alone for a few days and then start all over again slowly.

Love and hugs Angel, hope it gets easier for you as the weeks go by, at your side xxx

Hi

If you are 2 weeks out of bypass why do you still have to wait another 2 weeks on liquids? my diet sheet says free liquids till the end of week 2 then week 3 its the soft/mashed diet so hopefully you only have another week to get through!

Have you tried normal soup instead of cream soups (anything is better than nothing)

I hope you feel better soon x

Varying areas can state things differently in terms of time frames for stages. Follow the advice of your own team and call them tomorrow for guidance if unsure... it's important for us to follow the advice given by our individual bariatric teams. Love and hugs xxx

Thanks Bev, I knew they had different diets etc pre op but I thought post op was standard! oops now I Know,

Yes obviously dont change anything until you have spoken to your team :D

Always follow the guidance given by your surgeon's team and even if things vary for us on here, because we are in different areas, go back to your team if in doubt.

As far as this question relates... milk was a problem for me after a couple of weeks... I discussed it with my team, and changed to other options they had given me on my dietary guideline from the hospital and then revisited milk again after a few days and re introduced it slowly. I also had marvel dried milk at times, for protein and to help me through this difficult period when I couldn't take milk.

I would call your team and discuss for sure.

Love and hugs xxx

Thank you,

My dietitian instructed me to "eat" free fluids for a month, then onto purees for 2 weeks, mushie food for 2 weeks then introduce specific foods every month or so.

I bought some Miso soup, coconut water and load of Acai berry juice today. I've also started eating soya yoghurt, it's not low calorie, but I need to get them from somewhere.

I've tried powderd milk (both semi-skimmed and skimmed) and that makes me ill as well. I was never a cows milk fan pre op (made me gassy) and used soya milk during the milk diet. I dont think I'll reintrodcuce cows milk, I'm too scared of the reaction in gave me.

As you suggested Bev, I will call my team and see what they have to say.

Thanks again x

Hi

I have found that some brands of milk are 'creamier' than others even though they are all semi-skimmed. The Cravendale milks are the less creamy and to me more palatable.

Hope your team are able to help you x

Good luck and let us know what your team recommend... will be thinking of you and hope you feel much better soon Angel. If in doubt your dietician and own bariatric team are always at hand... I've a list of questions when I see mine on Friday and it's all learning for us all... I hope you can get some answers... plus it seems like soya milk was going down on your milk diet... have you tried this post op?

Take good care and I'll be thinking of you xxx

Last edited:
I would ring your team for advice but try soya milk in the meantime x

Back